Now Reading...

I'm reading two book sright now (which isn't very efficient)...

I too am reading some Terry Pratchett, but in Deutsch, and its a three books in one sort of thing - "Nur du kannst die Menschheit retten" "Nur du kannst sie verstehen" and "Nur du hast den Schlüssel". Trying to build my German vocab and keep from getting too rusty in the fun way...pretty slow going though.

The other book I am reading is Jennifer Government by Max Barry - just started it, and I highly recommend it to fans of dystopian fiction.

Culture ? Hell ya'll can come visit me for some culture !! I will let you drive my tractor (while you cut my five acres of grass) and I will let you read my favorite novel.... Chilton's Auto repair manual for a 1989 Nissan pick-up, then you can act out the main character and put a fuel pump on my truck.
My wife, Harumi makes a mean collard green teriyake. Next, we can then go inside my double-wide and watch the Alabama Crimson Tide dismember the LSU Tigers on my 65 inch TV if'n ya'll come down next Saturday. I also always have plenty of microbrews and or elite import beers on hand as well (hey some rednecks have good taste in beer mind you.)

Bryant

How about a little culture around here...more or less...:p

The Bonehunters - Steven Erikson
:Smokin:

...Next, we can then go inside my double-wide and watch the Alabama Crimson Tide dismember the LSU Tigers on my 65 inch TV if'n ya'll come down next Saturday.

Bryant

Hi-jack Alert!

OK, Bama MAY win,(doubt it though), but, dismember? C'mon, do you really believe that? What is Little Nicky feeding y'all? LSU by 10...

H.P. Lovecraft - Tales

Simply one of the greatest American authors ever!!!!

Agreed. Two of my favorite authors are from the old pulp days - Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard. In their respective genres and styles I don't think either has ever been nor will ever be surpassed.

"Graves' Disease - A Practical Guide" by Elaine Moore

And on a lighter note, I'm re-reading the Harry Potter series...now that I know how it all ends. :)

Just about to finish World War Z by Max Brooks. Gotta love a good zombie book this time of year. Besides, replacing "zombie" with "insert global catastrophe here" makes it even more disturbing.

:zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

Currently about half-way through Pratchett's Going Postal. Is Making Money the new one?

I think it's the newest in the U.S. It's always possible we're a book or so behind.

Traditionally I'd pick up the latest Discworld book (most recent even in the UK) up at ChattaCon every January, since one of the booksellers there, Glen Cook (himself an author) always seemed to have the latest book available. We'll see what happens this year. :)

Well, I see we have a few Repairman Jack fans here (nice avatar, Rakosh) and that makes me even more happy that I'm just started "Bloodlines" by F. Paul Wilson and I would also recommend the latest in the Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs.

Brimstone, by Lincoln Child & Douglas Preston... it's my 3rd of their books in less than 2 weeks, thanks to a nasty sinus infection. :)

Finished Making Money about 2 weeks ago. Good, am starting to really enjoy Moist, but Sam Vimes is still my favorite character. :) I will be starting on Witches Abroad next, over my Christmas vacation, then moving on to Small Gods and Lords and Ladies. Then I'll have to start buying more books, as I don't think urban has anything past that. Egad!

Shaye

Wow... Didn't know there were so many Pratchett fans in these lands... Anyone contemplating attending the first North American Discworld Convention in Arizona in 2009?

Yup, Moist is fun and the man himself is thinking of a third (and final) novel about him involving taxes... Mr. Fusspot RULES!

Bob, that Nightwatch book is pretty damn awesome! Very different from the movie. Hope you read the rest of the books, too.

As to what I am currently reading... It is called Twist of Faith and is a collection of 4 Star Trek books and a short story - those continue where Deep Space 9 left off. I am loving it. Kinda rushing to finish, since yesterday I got Confessor - the last book of the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

Finished Making Money about 2 weeks ago. Good, am starting to really enjoy Moist, but Sam Vimes is still my favorite character. :) I will be starting on Witches Abroad next, over my Christmas vacation, then moving on to Small Gods and Lords and Ladies. Then I'll have to start buying more books, as I don't think urban has anything past that. Egad!

Shaye

I have Making Money on the way, so I haven't read it yet. But while as much as I like the Vimes character and the Town Guard in general, it seems like too many of the recent Discworld novels have involved them. Earlier in the series, Pratchett used to rotate a lot more through his main blocks of characters - Rincewind, the Witches, the Town Guard, Death. I wish he would return to that system, I need more Nanny Ogg and less Corporal Carrot, dammit! :)

Ken

the last book of the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

Hallelujah!!! Someone's finally finishing a damn series!

I suppose I could also mean, Hallelujah!!! The Sword of Truth series is finally over! :)

This series was always hit or miss for me. My favorites were in the middle of the run - Temple of the Winds and Soul of the Fire. But by the time I got to Chainfire, it was so bloody awful, I couldn't take it anymore. I'm sort of committed to seeing the series out, but I wanted to wait for it to be completely done. So soon I guess I'll pick up Phantom and this new one and get to work, unless I hear that it's just not worth it. So please tell me it is!

Ken