Now Reading...

Been working on "Spin" by Robert Charles Wilson. Really sucked me in at first, but I'm just sort of floating along right now. Too much interpersonal BS going on.

Going to read "Rainbows End" by Vernor Vinge next. I've been on a quest to knock out every Hugo winner. I'll never complete it though, because I'm not going to read Harry Potter. Just never going to happen.

The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch - finally out in paperback. It's actually worth the hype (so far).

Tanya Huff, The Blood Books, Vol. 1 -- just underway

Going to read "Rainbows End" by Vernor Vinge next. I've been on a quest to knock out every Hugo winner.

Good luck with that. A friend of mine tried to read them all, and was 95% successful. A few were hard to find nowadays, and there were one or two he thought were dreadful.

Some were I'll never complete it though, because I'm not going to read Harry Potter. Just never going to happen.

Suit yourself. (or "suture self" :))
I was introduced to them by a 55-year old co-worker loong before the series became big, and I never looked back. They're great books for any age.

Tanya Huff, The Blood Books, Vol. 1 -- just underway

Good luck with that. A friend of mine tried to read them all, and was 95% successful. A few were hard to find nowadays, and there were one or two he thought were dreadful.

I've read most at this point. I agree, some I didn't dig much. Like I was surprised that I didn't like "The Man in the High Castle" by PKD, when I have liked many of his stories in the past. I never have liked Dune much either, though I could be stoned for saying it in some circles. "Speaker for the Dead" sucked too, but I loved Ender's Game.

I was introduced to them by a 55-year old co-worker loong before the series became big, and I never looked back. They're great books for any age.

I have several adult friends that have read all the books and think they are the shit. I just don't go down the fantasy path much anymore. Closest in recent years has been some books like "American Gods."

I've read most at this point. I agree, some I didn't dig much. Like I was surprised that I didn't like "The Man in the High Castle" by PKD, when I have liked many of his stories in the past. I never have liked Dune much either, though I could be stoned for saying it in some circles. "Speaker for the Dead" sucked too, but I loved Ender's Game.

I thought Ender's Game was good, but as I recall David Brin's Startide Rising was also up for the Hugo that year, and it's the better book. I always thought Brin wuz robbed! :)

And as for Speaker..... --Yeah. Not sure how THAT happened. I didn't vote for it.

I have several adult friends that have read all the books and think they are the shit. I just don't go down the fantasy path much anymore. Closest in recent years has been some books like "American Gods."

Hmm, I don't think I'd characterize the Potter books as fantasy, though. ('Course, I was never entirely sold on their 'young adult' label either. :))

I thought Ender's Game was good, but as I recall David Brin's Startide Rising was also up for the Hugo that year, and it's the better book. I always thought Brin wuz robbed! :)

Startide Rising (fantastic book) won the Hugo two years before Ender's Game won. You must be think of "The Postman" by Brin, which was up against Ender's Game. To be honest, I never read "The Postman", so I can't give an opinion. I've actually only seen maybe ten minutes of the movie. Maybe one of these days.

I have had the same kind of reaction a lot. Not just for Hugo winners, but there have been several times I've read something that's an older "classic" that I probably should like, but I end up not enjoying it at all.

Ken

So sorry to hear :( You gave me American Gods, so I was hoping you came by here with another gem to recommend. Hopefully you will have more time for recreation reading soon!

Yes, or time for anything other than schoolwork for that matter. I have had trouble in recent times finding worthwhile reads in the genres I tend to like, unfortunately...there's just too much out there that is uninspired and "the same" or just not well written. One author I have gotten into lately is Umberto Eco...not light reading at all, but very interesting. Foucault's Pendulum and In the Name of the Rose you should check out. :cool:

Absolutely – Rowling has an *amazing* imagination and sense of humor.

When the books were starting to get popular, my mom asked me if I was reading them. I told her no, as they were books for KIDS. She said "oh, well...it sounded like something you would like."

When the first movie came out, some friends invited me to go see it. I figured I might as well check it out...and from then on, I was hooked! I ended up reading the first 4 books back-to-back and then endured the agonizing wait for each of the next 3!

(I hate it when Mom is right...)

I finished Cryptonomicon. Not sure how I feel about the book. It was interesting, but I kept having to ask 'so what?' The crypto/math/tech stuff wasn't really new to me, even if some historical parts were. I don't know. I liked lots about it, just not sure....

I started on Kim Stanley Robinson's "40 Days of Rain," which is the first part in a trilogy about disaster due to global warming.

I'm over 100 pages in and still waiting for the actual story to start... and I noticed that his dialogue has not improved one bit since the Mars books!

Seems this thread is heavy into fiction for the most part, which is cool. I didn't read all 24 pages, but any other History nerds in the House? I've just finished 1787 by David O Steward and am now reading Revolutionary Characters.

I started on Kim Stanley Robinson's "40 Days of Rain," which is the first part in a trilogy about disaster due to global warming.

I'm over 100 pages in and still waiting for the actual story to start... and I noticed that his dialogue has not improved one bit since the Mars books!

Heh, I guess his background research might have suffered, too.....