Now Reading...

I started "The Becoming," a vampire novel by a writer named Jeanne Stein. She was a last minute addition to DragonCon this year and she was very cool in person. So far the book is fun.

Hallelujah!!! Someone's finally finishing a damn series!

I suppose I could also mean, Hallelujah!!! The Sword of Truth series is finally over! :)

This series was always hit or miss for me. My favorites were in the middle of the run - Temple of the Winds and Soul of the Fire. But by the time I got to Chainfire, it was so bloody awful, I couldn't take it anymore. I'm sort of committed to seeing the series out, but I wanted to wait for it to be completely done. So soon I guess I'll pick up Phantom and this new one and get to work, unless I hear that it's just not worth it. So please tell me it is!

Ken
Well... Phantom is okay, I guess. Better than Chainfire, I thought. Naked Empire killed it for me. Kinda... I AM still reading it, after all. But Jagang has been getting old for ages. I am glad it is coming to a close. Just think - only two more books to go for you. :D

OK, I finally saw the "Night Watch" movie earlier this evening, and I plan to read those books soon. While I know there are supposed to be significant differences, the hidden society of the Others merely hinted at in the movie looks right up my alley.

Hallelujah!!! Someone's finally finishing a damn series!

I suppose I could also mean, Hallelujah!!! The Sword of Truth series is finally over! :)

This series was always hit or miss for me. My favorites were in the middle of the run - Temple of the Winds and Soul of the Fire. But by the time I got to Chainfire, it was so bloody awful, I couldn't take it anymore. I'm sort of committed to seeing the series out, but I wanted to wait for it to be completely done. So soon I guess I'll pick up Phantom and this new one and get to work, unless I hear that it's just not worth it. So please tell me it is!

Ken

It seemed like the series was going nowhere for a while, but I think Chainfire was a step in the right direction. If you didn't like that one, you'll be glad to know that Phantom was a bit better than Chainfire. Between those two, that should suck you in enough to provide the inspiration to finish the series.

Can't speak for Confessor yet, just picked it up yesterday at the bookstore. You would think that having a best friend that distributes books for Tor would yield some freebies, but he doesn't like Goodkind (Rakosh, you douche), as my bookshelf full of purchased hardcovers will attest to...but I digress...

Rock on!

Brimstone, by Lincoln Child & Douglas Preston... it's my 3rd of their books in less than 2 weeks, thanks to a nasty sinus infection. :)

Finished Making Money about 2 weeks ago. Good, am starting to really enjoy Moist, but Sam Vimes is still my favorite character. :) I will be starting on Witches Abroad next, over my Christmas vacation, then moving on to Small Gods and Lords and Ladies. Then I'll have to start buying more books, as I don't think urban has anything past that. Egad!

Shaye

I love Small Gods! It's one of Pratchett's finest works imo:)

I have Making Money on the way, so I haven't read it yet. But while as much as I like the Vimes character and the Town Guard in general, it seems like too many of the recent Discworld novels have involved them. Earlier in the series, Pratchett used to rotate a lot more through his main blocks of characters - Rincewind, the Witches, the Town Guard, Death. I wish he would return to that system, I need more Nanny Ogg and less Corporal Carrot, dammit! :)

Ken

Totally agree. I don't think there's been a "witches" book since Maskerade, 12 years and 14 books ago :cry:

Small Gods was okay, but not one of my favorites. Though reading about a tortise trying to smite people is pretty amusing. XD

And he needs to write another one with the witches! I need my Nanny Ogg/Greebo fix!

I can't claim to be a friend of F. Paul's :erk: ...but I do work for his publisher :p . And as far as new RJ goes, Bloodline (#11 in the series) hits stores Oct 16th in hardback.

It's good to see so many sci-fi/fantasy readers on the forum helping to keep me in a job! :lol:

:Smokin:[/QUOTE]

Well, now - doesn't that just make me jealous! I just got finished with "Bloodline" a couple of days ago and while it aint' "The Tomb", it's pretty damn good. Just started an instant classic for me called "How To Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way" by (oddly enough) Bruce Campbell.

I think he's been using the witches in his 'juvenile' stories, no?

Sort of, as bit players.

I haven't read Hat Full of Sky or any of the others. I'd like to, though. Unfortunately, they're not high up on my list of "to-read" books. :

Hat Full of Sky and The Wee Free Men are laugh out loud funny:lol: Wintersmith is a little more serious:)

Well, now - doesn't that just make me jealous! I just got finished with "Bloodline" a couple of days ago and while it aint' "The Tomb", it's pretty damn good. Just started an instant classic for me called "How To Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way" by (oddly enough) Bruce Campbell.

Will it make you more jealous if I tell you I also work for Bruce's publisher? (And, oh yeah, I have his cell phone number, too. :heh:)

:lol::lol:

My latest...

Mary J. Shomon - Living Well with Autoimmune Disease: What your doctor doesn't tell you that you need to know

Oliver Sacks - Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain

I found out about the Sacks book through the SymX d-group on Yahoo. (This is the gentleman who wrote the book "Awakenings"). So far, I'm a little disappointed, as the first two chapters only deal with *negative* effects from music. (People who have seizures triggered by specific sounds and people who suffer from unwanted "musical hallucinations".)

I certainly hope he eventually gives equal time to all the ways music can serve as a positive, uplifting, and healing force in our lives!

Last two completed: David Lynn Golemon- Legend, Chris Jericho- A Lion's Tale: Around the World in Spandex

In process: Slash- self titled

Up next: Terry Goodkind- Confessor

Recently read: Hard Facts, Dangerous Half Truths, and Total-Nonsense; Into the Wild

Reading now: Harry Potter - Order of the Phoenix

next: Terry Goodkind - Confessor

Just finished:

Odyssey, by Jack McDevitt.

Now reading:

High Druid of Shannara: Straken, by Terry Brooks
Knight of Shadows, by Roger Zelazny

Next (probably):

The White Rose, by Glen Cook
Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson