Now Reading...

Seems this thread is heavy into fiction for the most part, which is cool. I didn't read all 24 pages, but any other History nerds in the House? I've just finished 1787 by David O Steward and am now reading Revolutionary Characters.

Huge History nerd here. Right now I'm reading "Benjamin Franklin- An American Life".

I just finished DaVinci Code last night!! I know, I know, I'm behind but I had time off of school so I wanted to read something for ME!

Anyways - I loved it! I've been told that I should read Angels and Demons next....thoughts?? Any other recommendations along these lines?

Thanks!

I just finished DaVinci Code last night!! I know, I know, I'm behind but I had time off of school so I wanted to read something for ME!

Anyways - I loved it! I've been told that I should read Angels and Demons next....thoughts?? Any other recommendations along these lines?

Thanks!

...angels and demons is great too....the movie should be out sometime next year.... :)

Is the DaVinci Code a lot like Angels and Demons? My problem with the latter was the use of the '!'. Punctuationally (created word, brownie points +4), it was way over used. Sure, it was a fast read. But while I found the story interesting, the writing style made me want to curl up in a ball. Everything felt so rushed. So, 'wow at the last second I had a revelation about what this means!'

I liked the DaVinci Code movie a lot.

Seemed like the same book to me, as far as I could get through it that is. It didn't hold my interest. DC was a quick read, but if there is a lesson on how to write a best seller, I guess it's to write at a sixth grade level or something. I couldn't stand the writing, even though the story was good.

Punctuationally (created word, brownie points +4)

haha - nicely done!

if there is a lesson on how to write a best seller, I guess it's to write at a sixth grade level or something.

Unfortunately - I've been finding this to be VERY true!! If you think about it though, they've gotta sell whats "readable" to the majority of the public...and what's that reading level at??? :oops:

Is the DaVinci Code a lot like Angels and Demons? My problem with the latter was the use of the '!'. Punctuationally (created word, brownie points +4), it was way over used. Sure, it was a fast read. But while I found the story interesting, the writing style made me want to curl up in a ball. Everything felt so rushed.

I really hate it when a writer's odd style 'drops you out of the story' by way of distraction. I recently re-read some older books by Mercedes Lackey (got them used, thanks; I will not buy her books new for any reason whatsoever) and her incredible overuse of italics really gets to me. I guess I didn't notice it as much the first time around.

Unfortunately - I've been finding this to be VERY true!! If you think about it though, they've gotta sell whats "readable" to the majority of the public...and what's that reading level at??? :oops:

Between 6th and 8th grade, basically.

Reading is fun. duh. Mental!

Loved that Franklin book! The Summer of 1787 was awesome as well. Have you read 1776? I haven't, but I've heard it was good.

Can't get enough of Ben Franklin. The man was a genius.

Yes. I've read 1776. It was good, not a heavy in-depth study but it covered the major players and key events.

I really hate it when a writer's odd style 'drops you out of the story' by way of distraction. I recently re-read some older books by Mercedes Lackey (got them used, thanks; I will not buy her books new for any reason whatsoever)

Neither will I. I read the Vanyel trilogy a long time ago, which is supposed to be the pinnacle of her writing, and I found it terribly melodramatic and I couldn't summon up the interest to read anything else. She's nearly as crazy as Anne Rice, too.

History - while I have a couple of books on the Plantagenets and a rather large text on Edward I, straightforward history novels tend to be a little too dry for me (although I've been eyeballing 1776 for a couple of years) so I end up reading the fictionalized accounts - Sharon K. Penman, Anya Seton, and I just recently picked up a Phillipa Gregory book that was ... okay.

Thanks!

I've read all of Dan Brown's books and Angels & Demons is my favorite of the set. I really liked Deception Point and Digital Fortress too, tied for 2nd. The DaVinci Code is the least of my favorites, though when I when I first started, I thought it was the most thrilling thing I had read in ages and prompted me to check out his other works! :lol:

Is the DaVinci Code a lot like Angels and Demons? My problem with the latter was the use of the '!'. Punctuationally (created word, brownie points +4), it was way over used. Sure, it was a fast read. But while I found the story interesting, the writing style made me want to curl up in a ball. Everything felt so rushed. So, 'wow at the last second I had a revelation about what this means!'

I liked the DaVinci Code movie a lot.

Honestly, I don't remember about the ! in Angels & Demons. While I completely enjoy Brown's writing style, (typically I am irritated by most writing styles) I do sympathize with you on some styles provoking the fetal-position. Kim Newman and Zecharia Sitchin come to mind. :Smug:

I guess it's to write at a sixth grade level or something.
:erk: :erk: So what does it mean if I love his writing style :cry: :cry: No wonder I get frustrated with many authors. I thought it was just their writing style, not my comprehension abilities :lol:

She's nearly as crazy as Anne Rice, too.

AND I've read nearly every Anne Rice book on the market, so I'm really in the minority at the moment! :lol:

I finished Cryptonomicon. Not sure how I feel about the book. It was interesting, but I kept having to ask 'so what?' The crypto/math/tech stuff wasn't really new to me, even if some historical parts were. I don't know. I liked lots about it, just not sure....

Yeah, it's a weird read, kinda tough to get through, but yet, somehow, it goes quickly. I tore through 300 pages or so, realized I didn't really care about anything in the book enough to finish it, and put it down...

Wanted to like it...just didn't generate any serious grab...

Rock on!

Finished Faust - but dammit, the one I have, killer translation but omitted parts and just explained what happened for most of the second part which ticked me off... So I'm now searching for a copy of part twoo (or one and two) in a translation as good as or close to the one I had...

Started reading Dante's Divine Comedy (the brain book)

Still re-reading L.K. Hamilton's Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series - up to Obsidian Butterfly (the fun read book)
** I love this author, I love this character - she's as sarcastic as I am - and could read these books over and over again **

And ever week I get my weekly issue of The Hockey News and read that...

Poe's next to read on the brain book list :)

I finished the aforementioned Kim Stanley Robinson book. It took him THREE HUNDRED PAGES to get to the rain in the title; the rest of it read like a Nano novel with no real point to it. Argh.

Has anybody noticed that when checking out the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section at whatever bookstore you shop at, that the vast majority of new fiction on the shelves is written by women? I noticed that a long time ago (maybe 5 years or so) and it still seems the same. I wonder why that would be the case, or is it just my imagination.

Probably because the vast majority of new fiction on the sci-fi shelves seems to be paranormal romantic fantasy these days...

Oh, an addendum regarding 40 Days of Rain - the majority of it takes place in the DC area. As much as I found the character discussions about breast milk to be a snooze, I was entertained by how often I could say "I know exactly where they're talking about" with regards to various downtown tourist locales, Metro stations/stops, Georgetown, etc.

Probably because the vast majority of new fiction on the sci-fi shelves seems to be paranormal romantic fantasy these days...

Precisely. Ugh...:ill:

Anyways, just finished Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. Excellent near-future fiction where computer savvy teens bring down the Department of Homeland Security...or at least attempt to. It won't be out until next year, but it'll be worth watching for.

:Smokin: