Now Reading...

Almost done with Wild Ginger. After that, it's Becoming Madame Mao, also by Anchee Min. (I love her SO HARD. Her books are banned in China!)

0618127003.01.LZZZZZZZ.JPG

Harry Potter Book 5 - Completed. Gonna move on to book 6 after break mean while checking what science fiction books I should look into to accompany me in the car and the trail.

Edit: After watching the movie I can see why I was confused about what was going on when I first watched it when it was released or first put on dvd. They seem to spend not more than a few minutes on each chapter. I mean there were some parts of the book where I thought this was ok but it really seemed like one of those chapter summaries books or whatever they're called put to film.

dragons05.jpg

About 1/4 of the way through and enjoying it.

Just finished it myself. Not too bad, now mentally preparing myself for another long wait.

Just finished The Dirt, Motley's biography after someone recommended it up thread. I think I might have liked Mustaine's bio better, actually.

Next up is the new China Mieville, and two duologies:

Jemisin's The Broken Kingdoms/The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
Willis's Blackout/All Clear

Both have Hugo nominated books in the series, so I'm looking forward to good things.

Harry Potter Book 5 - Completed. Gonna move on to book 6 after break mean while checking what science fiction books I should look into to accompany me in the car and the trail.

Edit: After watching the movie I can see why I was confused about what was going on when I first watched it when it was released or first put on dvd. They seem to spend not more than a few minutes on each chapter. I mean there were some parts of the book where I thought this was ok but it really seemed like one of those chapter summaries books or whatever they're called put to film.

It's funny that one of the longest books in the series made for one of the shortest films. I thought it was a great adaptation though.

Finished the Dance this week. Now finishing my aforementioned libertarian book, and next up will be Erikson's Deadhouse Gates.

On Gardens of the Moon: I had tried to read this a bunch of years ago, and could not get into it at all. Some people (jhallum, among others) convinced me to give it another go, and I'm quite glad I did, as, the second time around, I really connected with a few characters in particular, and I understood and followed the story a lot better. I think I may have been trying to use the book as a sort of speed-reading experiment the first time around, and it's obvious that I didn't really absorb anything from it.

Great series...although I was shocked the first book won the Hugo and the Nebula Awards. I guess they were awarded, much like Obama's Nobel Peace Prize, on the basis of future promise. :)

Personally, I think it is deserving. The rest of the series, maybe not so much.

Right now I'm reading the compendium of David Weber's Dahak trilogy "Empire From The Ashes". I read "Mutineers Moon" years ago, back when ADV was talking about making an animated series out of it. Like many of their plans, nothing came of it.

I'm also reading a self-published fantasy novel from a friend of mine: JF Bibeau's "Felsic Current". Personally, it reads like a first novel. My wife only made it through a couple of chapters before her internal editor was driven nuts by it.

Just finished: Terminal World, by Alastair Reynolds. Not one of his better efforts.

Now reading: Elantris, by Brandon Sanderson. I'm only about 20 pages in, but I'm really enjoying the set-up so far!

Up next: Storm Front, by Jim Butcher. It's about time I checked out the Dresden Files.

Up next: Storm Front, by Jim Butcher. It's about time I checked out the Dresden Files.

I started on this when I first moved to Wilmington. It's been sitting on my bedside table unfinished for three years. It wasn't bad, just not inspiring enough to keep going.

But don't let me ruin it for ya. :D

I started on this when I first moved to Wilmington. It's been sitting on my bedside table unfinished for three years. It wasn't bad, just not inspiring enough to keep going.

But don't let me ruin it for ya. :D

The series started a bit rough, but when it picked up, it did so big time. It is well worth the initial effort.

I just finished the two books of The Sarantine Mosaic by Guy Gavriel Kay. The books are loosely patterned on the Roman emperor Justinian's reign. The main character is a rural mosaicist called to the empire's capitol to work on the ceiling of an ambitious temple project. He is unwillingly caught up in palace intrigue. The prose is lyrical, with surprisingly humorous passages. I was sad to reach the end of the second book. These books were deeper than my usual summer fare, but I couldn't put them down.