Now Reading...

hp_lovecraft_bloodcurdling_tales_of_horror_and_the_macabre.jpg

I made it about halfway through that one. I know he was influential, and innovative and whatever else, but stories about undersea space monsters should'nt be so tedious. :zzz:

I enjoyed ADWD. A couple parts made me whoop, a couple parts made me facepalm. I think he just spends a little *too* much time setting stuff up - there *is* such a thing as too *much* detail, and I'd say that's probably the biggest flaw of ADWD. Worth the wait, though, I think.

I enjoyed ADWD. A couple parts made me whoop, a couple parts made me facepalm. I think he just spends a little *too* much time setting stuff up - there *is* such a thing as too *much* detail, and I'd say that's probably the biggest flaw of ADWD. Worth the wait, though, I think.

Agree. Now the big question is how long do we have to wait for the next one? Book 4 came out the week my son was born. This one dropped just as he's getting ready to start kindergarten. Maybe the series will wrap up before he starts college.

George Martin's "A Dance with Dragons" seems to be getting trashed pretty hard on Amazon.Com. The reviewers over there are pretty brutal......

Three-star average? Ouch...

I'm still re-reading the previous books - nearly finished with A Storm of Swords and tbh I don't think he's ever going to top that. It's one of the few books that requires its lengthiness. Still, I'm looking forward to reading Dance.

Oh, and this is fabulous:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/07/18/twilight-30-days-of-night-exchange-comic-con/

IDW Publishing is offering fans of the Twilight saga to trade in any copy of one of the books from Stephenie Meyer's novel series about vampire romance -- or their comic book adaptations -- for a free copy of 30 Days of Night.

Real horror fans have watched vampires systematically turned into wimpy fodder for years now. It's time to fight back" said Niles. "I'm happy to be working with IDW on the Sparkles for Blood event. Hopefully, working together we can put an end to this nightmare.

Got a question. Do places like Barnes & Noble offer trade-ins or something? I got this book about match-fixing in football [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Soccer-Organized-Crime/dp/077104139X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311157600&sr=8-1[/ame] like a year ago or two. I dunno. Never read it and apparently no longer interested in it. I was wondering if I could find some place to trade in to get the HP book 5 and up for cheap.

Got a question. Do places like Barnes & Noble offer trade-ins or something?

I would say no. If they did have a policy like that, it would almost certainly require the book to be in full saleable condition, and even if it's never been cracked open, a book that's a year or two old is not - it's going to have absorbed a little moisture and the edge of the pages turned slightly yellow. You're better off taking it to a used book store.

Got a question. Do places like Barnes & Noble offer trade-ins or something? I got this book about match-fixing in football http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Soccer-Or...139X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311157600&sr=8-1 like a year ago or two. I dunno. Never read it and apparently no longer interested in it. I was wondering if I could find some place to trade in to get the HP book 5 and up for cheap.

Dude, you live in Greensboro. Head over to Ed McKay's Used Books (off of Battleground Ave). They have a ton of used books, music and games, and they're always taking in trades. They've got a half decent metal selection too.

Finished "Thud!" while I was in DC over the weekend. More great stuff from Pratchett. I'll be very sad when he can't write any longer, which I suspect is coming sooner rather than later. At least there's going to be one more Vimes book before the end. Now I've started into the Uplift series with "Sundiver" by David Brin.

519qRERLVoL._SS500_.jpg

From the adventures in book shopping file, I picked up a complete set of John Varley's Gaea trilogy (Titan, Wizard and Demon) yesterday, in hardcover, all in excellent shape considering their age (over 25 years). Price after store credit: ~$12.00.

Also, after watching the first season of Game of Thrones my dad, who I don't think has ever read any SciFi/Fantasy outside of maybe Lord of the Rings, bought all the books. I've got Storm of Swords and Feast for Crows in hardcover and was holding out reading any of the series until I could find the first 2 hardcover used somewhere locally but I've never seen them in several years of being on the look out so I may have to break down and order them online.

Finished "Thud!" while I was in DC over the weekend. More great stuff from Pratchett. I'll be very sad when he can't write any longer, which I suspect is coming sooner rather than later. At least there's going to be one more Vimes book before the end. Now I've started into the Uplift series with "Sundiver" by David Brin.

Pratchett is making preprations for assisted death, for when that time comes. Very sad.

That being said, I'll add that there are two board games in production based on Discworld, so you will have that as well.

As for the Uplift series, I think Sundiver is probably the weakest of the bunch and is probably the most stand-along of the books. I actually read that one somewhat later, starting with Startide Rising instead.

Just went to Ed McKays - man that place is like a mini barns and noble or something. $13 for some audiobooks that I saw.. i dunno if thats average or just the few that I was looking at. They had the HP titles I was looking for but only in hardback and I was interested in the paperback as books 1-4 are in paperback. Definitely gonna head back there to pick up some of the ancient texts or whatever category they called it (Homer's The Odyssey & Illiad and etc) . Love my ancient history & philosophy.

Those Stephanie Plum books are fun brain popcorn for about the first ... ten, maybe. After that, they get SO silly they're not really funny anymore. There's only so many times you can rehash the same jokes in different ways.