Now Reading...

Em so I got hardback copies of the first two harry potter books if anybody here is interested in them or wants to give them to someone else for xmas. I already have em in paperback format. I'd just be asking for shipping. Just thought I'd ask here

51lsM4p-AoL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-34,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Very good so far...

Just re-read (since I found a cheap copy at the flea market):

state_fear.JPG

and also

001cec3f.jpeg

found at the same flea market -- in virtually mint condition, pretty nifty for a 1987 release. Caught my eye: Jane Fancher, now known more as an author, did some Robotech character illustrations in it. :)

Got several other choices to read from the same source. Paperbacks were ten cents, hardbacks were $1, and art books were $2...all in very good condition, well cared-for by their (sadly deceased) former owner.

Just finished

dsong.jpg

and am now starting

n6529.jpg

...to honor Anne McCaffrey's recent passing. I found both of these very early editions at the abovementioned flea market, as well as the third and final volume in the Harper Hall trilogy (Dragondrums).

...to honor Anne McCaffrey's recent passing. I found both of these very early editions at the abovementioned flea market, as well as the third and final volume in the Harper Hall trilogy (Dragondrums).

Those are the editions I read when I was a kid.

I just plowed through 11/22/63 over the weekend. Stephen King runs with his usual "ordinary man in extraordinary situations" trope: dude finds a portal to September 1958, a portal which resets itself whenever someone leaves and then returns. The circumstances are such that he has the opportunity to stop the assassination of JFK - but he's got five years to set up, and there are other lives he can change in the meantime. But as they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Overall, it's not the best story he's written, but there's a great deal of "what happens next?" momentum.

Back to reading American Gods. It has slowed down a bit in the middle, but still enjoying it. It's mostly my fluffy reading book, when I desire a rest from the non-fiction material.

Where exactly is this flea market? Sounds like a treasure trove.

http://www.pendflea.com/

The list of current vendors on there is massively incomplete, though.

You never know what you'll stumble across. Unfortunately the guy who had that treasure trove of books sold the entire lot of SF and fantasy books to a single buyer the following week, so those are gone...didn't keep me from picking up a couple of mid-sized CD storage towers (one rotating) for $5 last weekend. He also had 3 of the 4 rare light-up LotR goblets, which I picked up for $8. (Gandalf was missing. Go figure. :))

There is a Spanish-speaking place (and there are lots of those) that carries import S. American metal t-shirts -- the XL Therion t-shirt, a bit small for me, was sold in between visits, as were both Burzum shirts. Immortal and Sonata Arctica? Still there. :)

The wing ("avenue") that burnt down last year is still under construction and the Food Court in back is only partially reopened so far (they're taking the opportunity to remodel that wing), but it's still a pretty amazing place.

Things you'll find:
  • A church, presumably Catholic (in back)
  • A booth with Craft supplies, run by a lady practitioner (most recently she's been in one of the front two avenues, east side)
  • CDs for $5, from our metalhead friends (west side near the center, avenue before the food court). All genres, bot mostly rock and some metal
  • A reallly good portrait artist
  • A petting zoo
  • Pet/live animals sale/trade area, everything from puppies to chickens
  • Tailgate vendors' area outside
hell, it goes on and on....