Now Reading...

Zipping through these pretty quickly.... Now reading

200px-Mockingjay.JPG

Reviews of this third and final book on Amazon are lackluster, but the first two books were strong enough that I actually went to a bricks-and-mortar store to pick it up. Classified as young-adult fiction but VERY dark...I'm really curious as to how they'll frame the movies.

I don't like books where the author has hapharzardly scattered stories and created a million charaters just to confuse you, and where the plot doesn't seem to go anywhere, and the pages are just filled with random mini stories that make no sense and never connect.... and then all all you end up with is a big mess.

Again, I wish to clarify that I love these books...but you just perfectly described the entire series...so maybe it isn't for you.

Jaimek was right about House Of Chains, though. I felt the same way about the book by the time it wrapped up.

Magius makes some excellent points as well. It's just a matter of whether you wish to embark upon this rather frustrating journey.

I have been known to fling mine across the room in frustration at times. Somewhere around book 3 or 4, I put it down for 6 months, then had to restart the book when I picked it up again cuz I had no clue. Made it halfways through 7 before I finally gave up.

They sit there...on the shelf...taunting me...one day I will continue.

(For the record, I gave up on Jordan...FOREVER!...halfway through Winter's Heart (#9)...if that means anything...

Good luck! Rock on!

I do have an honest question though Jaime, why they heck would people enjoy a book series if it leaves them totally confused and not knowing what's going on?? I've asked myself that question over and over....

In the case of Malazan, the ride was so interesting that I didn't really *care* that I had no idea what was going on. I gave up after Bonehunters, though.

There's a 20% off purchase sale at Books A Million tomorrow - I have the membership card mostly because the discount also applies to the coffee, but for 20% off everything, I'm sure I'll come home with a few books!

Paul: I read the Hunger Games last spring. It's interesting. I like the secondary characters a lot more than Katniss, though.

(For the record, I gave up on Jordan...FOREVER!...halfway through Winter's Heart (#9)...if that means anything...

Yeah, you left a wee bit early (but maybe not, if your tolerance was that ow :) ). The Sanderson-written books have been really great.

Paul: I read the Hunger Games last spring. It's interesting. I like the secondary characters a lot more than Katniss, though.

Did you read the first book, or all three? I could certainly see an opinion of Katniss changing from beginning to end. (!)

Finished the third book and while I can understand some of the lower reviews on Amazon, I thought it was a great ending.

I must confess I'm reallly curious about the movie now and can't wait for it. It looks like they might be including more than just the first book, judging from one included scene:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished LOTR Return of the King. The books were great! Now I plan to watch the trilogy (extended edition of course) that I just picked up on Blu-Ray the day after Thanksgiving. A good way to spend the day.

Now going to start: The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor

Yeah, you left a wee bit early (but maybe not, if your tolerance was that ow :) ). The Sanderson-written books have been really great.

I've heard that #7-#10 was a tough slog. I don't know, because I stopped at 6 because I was going to run out of book. With stories of this size, it is better that I marathon them so that I can remember what happened.

I've heard that #7-#10 was a tough slog. I don't know, because I stopped at 6 because I was going to run out of book. With stories of this size, it is better that I marathon them so that I can remember what happened.

Think that was my problem as well. Read 1-7 in a relatively short time-frame. After waiting a year to slog through 8, then waiting a year to slog through 9...I was just too damn frustrated...

Did you read the first book, or all three? I could certainly see an opinion of Katniss changing from beginning to end. (!)

I read the whole thing. My problem with Katniss is that she is far too convenient for a main character, and she's also very passive; everything happens TO her, and she rarely acts unless put into a position where she has to.

I'm very interested in seeing the movie, though, especially once I heard Lenny Kravitz had been cast, and the trailer looks great.

At the sale, I got:

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
The Black Hills - Dan Simmons

I also got a couple of early 70s historical smut at the old bookstore - they were a buck, and old Avon smut is always fun.

I recently stumbled across an author I was unfamiliar with named Jonathan Maberry. Now I am 100% hooked and am trying to read everything he has out. One of the better horror-type writers in the industry, or at least to my way of thinking. Anybody else read any of his work and have any recommendations?

I recently stumbled across an author I was unfamiliar with named Jonathan Maberry. Now I am 100% hooked and am trying to read everything he has out. One of the better horror-type writers in the industry, or at least to my way of thinking. Anybody else read any of his work and have any recommendations?

His new one Dead of Night isn't bad. I'm not a big fan, but the Ghost Road Blues books were fun. The problem for me is that I discovered him and Joe Hill (Horns, Heart-Shaped Box) at the same time, and Hill is in a totally different league.

Up until 2 days ago, I'd never read any of this horror stuff, but I just finished his new one, "Dead Of Night -- A Zombie Novel" and it was a lot of fun.

Other than that...what I have read is his Joe Ledger series, which is just a complete over-the-top high-tech adventure thrillride...check them out. The titles are "Patient Zero", "The Dragon Factory", "The King Of Plagues", and on 4/10/12, "Assassin's Code" will be released.

Think that was my problem as well. Read 1-7 in a relatively short time-frame. After waiting a year to slog through 8, then waiting a year to slog through 9...I was just too damn frustrated...

I had the same frustration, too, so I went online to a couple of well-run fan websites to "refresh my memory" before tackling the last two (written by Sanderson).

The same tactic worked well for the most recent (and lonnnnnnnnng-awaited) Song of Ice and Fire book, too. :)

I read the whole thing. My problem with Katniss is that she is far too convenient for a main character, and she's also very passive; everything happens TO her, and she rarely acts unless put into a position where she has to.

Agreed...although let's just say that at the end of the story she makes up for a LOT of non-spontaneity beforehand. :heh:

I'm very interested in seeing the movie, though, especially once I heard Lenny Kravitz had been cast, and the trailer looks great.

Who is he playing? Muzt go back and review trailer....

Who is he playing? Muzt go back and review trailer....

Cinna. When I heard about the casting, I kinda paused and scratched my head, but I couldn't think of *any* reason why he wouldn't be a good fit as that character, so I'm totally on board with this. He's even wearing the gold eyeliner in the trailer.

What's weird is that there are people on the intarwebs complaining about black people being cast in Hunger Games. Now, I don't think the author ever identified what Cinna was, but it was pretty clear there was a multicultural cast - but they were even complaining about Rue, who was *blatantly* described as being black in the book! People are stupid. (also, whoever they cast as Rue looks very much like I imagined her.)