Now Reading...

thepacific.jpg

I read this (Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief) after I took my son to see the movie. It was an entertaining read. I bought the first 3 in the series. I have yet to start the others.

All 5 are well worth reading, IMHO. I noticed the movie diverged a lot from that first book, although I think both worked fine in their separate media.

Which leads me to the book I just finished...second book in Riordan's following series.

SoNcover.jpg

Oddly, I had just finished watching the movie The Eagle, which involves a Roman legion's eagle sigil being recovered, and that book also involves a legion's eagle being recovered. :)

Now reading:

Hg--jacket-330.jpg

Finished off this last night:

sky-coyote-kage-baker-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Gotta say that this is a very different book than The Garden Of Iden. No real dramatic tension and it seems to be more of a character study of Joseph and maybe setting up future stuff.

Power was out here for a couple days due to a freak storm. I had just gotten this and it turned out to be the perfect book to read by fire and candle light!

The Hypnotist - Lars Kepler

I'm currently reading "Garden of the Moon" by Stephen E. I really hope the other books are better, but so far, I'm about 1/2 way through the book and totally confused as to what's going on......Hopefully by the 2nd book things will improve, otherwise I don't think I'll be able to stomach reading the entire series....

World War Z - definitely a decent read. I particularly liked the story about the pilot in the Atchafalaya Basin.

I'm quite near the end of "Way of Kings" now. While it does still tend to drag at places, the story is coming together quite well. Depending on what happens in the last part of the book, I feel that Mistborn and Warbreaker will still end up ranked higher.

Well the story did come together quite well. It left me wanting more. I'd have to rank the 3 Sanderson books I've read in this order:

Mistborn 1
Way of Kings
Warbreaker

Finished Game of Thrones, excellent as expected even though I knew what was going to happen. In hindsight it makes the first season the TV series that much more impressive; being able to stick as close to the book as they did. Next question is whether I read Clash of Kings before or after the 2nd season. Something to think about. In the meantime I'm now reading Steve Berry's The Alexandria Link.

I'm currently reading "Garden of the Moon" by Stephen E. I really hope the other books are better, but so far, I'm about 1/2 way through the book and totally confused as to what's going on......Hopefully by the 2nd book things will improve, otherwise I don't think I'll be able to stomach reading the entire series....

Bwahahahaha...dude, that's too funny...!

Seriously, though...things do not improve. I love the books, but you should totally expect to remain thoroughly confused...

You've been warned.

Rock on!

Seriously, though...things do not improve. I love the books, but you should totally expect to remain thoroughly confused...

You've been warned.

Rock on!

I love intricate books. However, some authors simply push it over the edge where to the point of it being a joke on the reader that only the author gets.

Prime example:

51NH2iG137L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You've been warned.

Rock on!

Yea, if that's the case, then this first book is the LAST Stephen E. book I'll ever read. I like books with structure and plots that make sense. I don't like books where the author has hapharzardly scattered stories and created a million charaters just to confuse you, and where the plot doesn't seem to go anywhere, and the pages are just filled with random mini stories that make no sense and never connect.... and then all all you end up with is a big mess.... Gardens of the Moon isn't that complex, it's just very disjointed
Books shouldn't be painful to read, they should be enjoyable.

Yea, if that's the case, then this first book is the LAST Stephen E. book I'll ever read. I like books with structure and plots that make sense. I don't like books where the author has hapharzardly scattered stories and created a million charaters just to confuse you, and where the plot doesn't seem to go anywhere, and the pages are just filled with random mini stories that make no sense and never connect.... and then all all you end up with is a big mess.... Gardens of the Moon isn't that complex, it's just very disjointed
Books shouldn't be painful to read, they should be enjoyable.

If you're going to be confused anyway, skip ahead to House of Chains - I enjoyed that one the most, and I had no idea what the hell was going on most of the time either.

If you're going to be confused anyway, skip ahead to House of Chains - I enjoyed that one the most, and I had no idea what the hell was going on most of the time either.

I do have an honest question though Jaime, why they heck would people enjoy a book series if it leaves them totally confused and not knowing what's going on?? I've asked myself that question over and over....

I love intricate books. However, some authors simply push it over the edge where to the point of it being a joke on the reader that only the author gets.

Prime example:

51NH2iG137L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here's another one:

1565425.jpg

I read all the stories in this one, and I was left thinking, "What was the point in all of that?" Certainly he created a world. Too bad he couldn't create a plot.

I didn't think the Malazan books were confusing; although, they are complex and can seem somewhat haphazard. Rather I found it fascinating how small side events, and seemingly unrelated large stories, fit into the bigger picture later in the series.

The key to reading these books is to not get all wrapped up in what something meant or what its point is. Just make a mental note of it and wait. If one keeps reading everything ties back into place, but it could take several books to do so.

As an aside Esslemont's books in the series fill in a lot of holes, and clarify many issues.

I consider the Malazan books the best fantasy series written to date.