Now Reading...

Cinna. When I heard about the casting, I kinda paused and scratched my head, but I couldn't think of *any* reason why he wouldn't be a good fit as that character, so I'm totally on board with this. He's even wearing the gold eyeliner in the trailer.

Yep, I went back and watched the trailer. I'm totally on board with that choice as well. Woody Harrelson as Haymitch is a pretty inspired choice, too.
REALLY looking forward to the film now -- and still wondering where they'll end it. End of Book 1? A bit further?

What's weird is that there are people on the intarwebs complaining about black people being cast in Hunger Games. Now, I don't think the author ever identified what Cinna was, but it was pretty clear there was a multicultural cast - but they were even complaining about Rue, who was *blatantly* described as being black in the book! People are stupid. (also, whoever they cast as Rue looks very much like I imagined her.)

That IS weird. Both tributes from District 11 (Rue and Thresh) were described as dark-complected. That doesn't necessarily mean black per se, but it's not unreasonable to assume that, especially since 11 is south of District 12, which was clearly established as Appalachia. That kinda makes it...well, HERE. (The Southeast.)

This was the $1.99 kindle daily deal earlier this week. I'm digging it so far. Abercrombie may fill the void left by David Gemmell's passing.

What?! I'm just getting over Anne McCaffrey's demise and now I read this?! :cry:

Finally on the last Harry Potter book round the 5th chapter. Moving on to Wheel of time afterwards

See you in about...2 years. :)

For my semi-random Pratchett:

terrypratchett.jpg

I've always been a fan of characters like Moist, charming rogues who do good sometimes despite their nature. Personally, I think the plot kinda cops out at the end, but it was an enjoyable book. Looking forward to seeing the movie at some point.

I don't necessarily think author confirmation is much of one, considering that many authors don't have much to do with the movies made of their material.

But, once I started seeing concept art and an actual animation studio attached. (I had seen the trailer for Cat Shit One before. While it wasn't quite what I was expecting (the manga is based on Vietnam, while the trailer was for something more modern.), it did look good and made be believe they could do animals well.

Now I need to go through my wife's library to see if she has a copy of the book.

Oh, I'd heard noises about it for months, maybe years, but I wasn't putting any eggs in that basket til Tad confirmed it last month or so.

(Two, Joan? There's only one Tailchaser book...)

I could have sworn there was a second one. There aren't that many (well, until the Warrior Cats claptrap came out) fantasy books with cats as the main characters. Wikipedia says it's a standalone novel, too. Hmm...there must have been a two-book series about cats that I read awhile back, too, and I'm confusing the two. Either that, or I'm losing my mind, which is the most probable explanation.

Arrived in the mail yesterday....

backstage-past-barry-fey.jpg

Barry is a legend in the industry and someone I have always tried to pattern myself after. He was a total pro and the bands loved him. He would go out of his way for anyone, but he took no shit as well.

Example: He once filled up a huge jar of nothing but brown M&Ms and walked in Van Halen's dressing room and sat it right on the table in front of them.

Finished:
a-clash-of-kings-cover.jpg

Awesome as expected. I'm torn about how quickly I want to go through these knowing how long it took for Martin to finish A Dance of Dragons. That said I'm not sure I'll be able to resist the urge to pick the series back up again in a couple books...

Now reading: :fu:
treasure.jpg