Now Reading...

I'm stoked that someone wrote a speculative fiction novel on Percy Fawcett's search in the Amazon.

I just finished the Indiana Jones version of it (IJ and the Seven Veils) from around 1992 I think, hardly speculative since it involved mystical orbs and "veils" hiding the city and stuff but fun :).

Now going from mindless pulp to Game of Thrones. Its been interesting to see how closely the series has mirrored the book (at least so far)

"Frost Moon: The Skindancer Series" by Anthony Francis. This is book one of the Skindancer Series. You may want to check it out. I am 3 chapters in and things are going well.

Oh Yeah...it is also set in an "alternate" Atlanta, Ga.

that is a nice touch

Now going from mindless pulp to Game of Thrones. Its been interesting to see how closely the series has mirrored the book (at least so far)

Truly. They'll have to make some sacrifices, no doubt, as the series progresses, if only because the cast and scope will be too unwieldy for TV audiences to handle.

Let's see, now reading.....

1635-eastern-front-eric-flint-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

It's weird reading this book and seeing Sabaton, from Sweden, the same week. One of the main characters in this series is the legendary King Gustav Adolf of Sweden (who is dead by 1635 in the 'real' present-day timeline), and much of the action is set in Germany. BATTLES in Germany, even, which are pretty much Sabaton's stock-in-trade. :)

Just finished "How Firm the Foundation", the latest book in the Safehold series by David Weber. I think I skimmed this one, mostly, I'd rather read about the action and not so much the machiavellian stuff. How many books are there supposed to be in this series, anyway?

Also reading the Joe Ledger books by Jonathan Maberry. They are techno/special forces books, nice pulpy special forces goodness.

world_war_z-cover.jpg

I get anti-jazz-hands about trendy things, not so much in a pseudo-hipster "I'm too cool for trends" way, but in the sense that once something becomes trendy, it spawns a thousand crappy imitators, and by that point I have no idea what's actually worth picking up. Zombies are one such trend. But enough people whose opinions I trust have said good things about WWZ that I decided to pick it up. Will report back on whether or not I have been misled!

I get anti-jazz-hands about trendy things, not so much in a pseudo-hipster "I'm too cool for trends" way, but in the sense that once something becomes trendy, it spawns a thousand crappy imitators, and by that point I have no idea what's actually worth picking up. Zombies are one such trend. But enough people whose opinions I trust have said good things about WWZ that I decided to pick it up. Will report back on whether or not I have been misled!

I am not a big fan of zombies by any stretch, but I really enjoyed this book. In fact, this book led me to discover that I like READING zombie stories, even if I don't enjoy them as movies all that much.

Speaking of zombies....has anyone hit that Zombie Apocalypse in Atlanta? I am considering going next weekend.

I have been seriously slacking on my reading trying to get other things done. Still haven't started WWZ, but it's next in line.

WWZ is a great book. I can't wait for the movie.

Things I've been reading (thanks to some good reviews in this thread):

Brandon Sanderson - Warbreaker
Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn 1: The Final Empire
Brandon Sanderson - The Way of Kings (just started..not very far in, but it isn't anywhere near as good as Warbreaker or Mistborn yet at this point)
David Moody - Autumn Series
David Moody - Hater

WWZ is a great book. I can't wait for the movie.
Brandon Sanderson - The Way of Kings (just started..not very far in, but it isn't anywhere near as good as Warbreaker or Mistborn yet at this point)

That's been my assessment thus far too, a couple hundred pages in. It's a good story thus far, but he's dragging it out. Creating a world in detail is a great thing, but it's not necessary to tell us ALL about it.

I wonder if Harriet Jordan took over as his editor.

WWZ has been pretty interesting, but I'm only about 75-100 pages in, since I've been reading it on my lunch break.

Just finished: Consider Phlebas, by Ian M. Banks. Interesting first two-thirds, train wreck in the last third. Almost literally.

Now reading: Summer Knight, by Jim Butcher. These Dresden books are fun so far, but I don't know that I'm going to need to read a full dozen of them.

Also reading assorted new Marvel, DC and Dark Horse comic releases!

Up next: either The Gathering Storm by Sanderson / Jordan, or Reamde, by Neal Stephenson.

Ken

Speaking of zombies....has anyone hit that Zombie Apocalypse in Atlanta? I am considering going next weekend.

I really want to go, too, but haven't had the time quite yet.
It is, apparently, unique to Atlanta and the U.S.; no-one else is doing anything like a zombie apocalypse on that scope.
www.atlantazombie.com Open each evening now through Halloween.

I am reliably informed by Atl Zombie Apocalypse's general manager, who as it happens is also a WREKage radio-show host from back around 1993 (!), that you want to avoid Saturday night at all costs: last week the incoming traffic was lined up onto Moreland Ave. and they had to turn away people toward the end of the night.

Also note that there is a $3 parking fee. (But at least they have parking, unlike Netherworld, which has very little.)

That's been my assessment thus far too, a couple hundred pages in. It's a good story thus far, but he's dragging it out. Creating a world in detail is a great thing, but it's not necessary to tell us ALL about it.

I wonder if Harriet Jordan took over as his editor.

WWZ has been pretty interesting, but I'm only about 75-100 pages in, since I've been reading it on my lunch break.

I'm quite near the end of "Way of Kings" now. While it does still tend to drag at places, the story is coming together quite well. Depending on what happens in the last part of the book, I feel that Mistborn and Warbreaker will still end up ranked higher.