Now Reading...

I'm a big fan as well (my Dad is a good friend of his). As far as the Repairman Jack novels after "Crisscross" go, "Infernal" is definitely available on paperback and "Harbingers" will be released on paperback on Tuesday, August 28th.

Jason

Soft is one of my favorite reads!

working on "I shudder at your touch" (erotic horror short stories)

Judging from your username and avatar, I take it you're an F. Paul Wilson fan. I've read all the Repairman Jack books up through Crisscross. I haven't seen any followups in paperback yet, and have not tried to find them on line.

Definitely! I've read them all, including the Adversary series, but Gateways was where I stumbled across Repairman Jack for the first time.

I'm a big fan as well (my Dad is a good friend of his). As far as the Repairman Jack novels after "Crisscross" go, "Infernal" is definitely available on paperback and "Harbingers" will be released on paperback on Tuesday, August 28th.

Jason

I can't claim to be a friend of F. Paul's :erk: ...but I do work for his publisher :p . And as far as new RJ goes, Bloodline (#11 in the series) hits stores Oct 16th in hardback.

It's good to see so many sci-fi/fantasy readers on the forum helping to keep me in a job! :lol:

:Smokin:

I think I'm going to dive into that series soon. I'll try to read one or two of them a year, and hopefully get to the 9th or 10th book by the time they're out. Unless he pulls a George Martin on us and either extends the series or takes longer and longer between volumes.

Ken

It's a great series...better than Jordan, Cook, or Goodkind combined in my opinion. I don't think he'll pull a Martin, either, since Bonehunters will come out this fall, then Reaper's Gale in February '08. By then Tor will pretty much be caught up with the UK editions. As you know, these aren't tiny books, and they're not easy reads at times, but they're sooo worth it. So dive in soon!

I'm reading Perdido Street Station by China Mieville at home, and working through Roger Zelazny's Amber series while exercising at the YMCA.

Heh, Perdido Street Station took me a very long time to read, but I'm glad I did... it was weird and cool and pretty dark. There were some things I would have left out, though... I guess it all comes with the territory of China being a young author.

I've read the Amber series, too, but it was so many years ago that I don't really remember anything about it.

It's a great series...better than Jordan, Cook, or Goodkind combined in my opinion.

That's not really saying much. ;)

As you know, these aren't tiny books, and they're not easy reads at times, but they're sooo worth it. So dive in soon!

yeah... I've read the first book, and I didn't like it much... I thought it was a little too "meandering", and the ending was rather anticlimactic. I might dive back into this series at some point, but I don't read much anymore, and it would be a huge undertaking for me.

yeah... I've read the first book, and I didn't like it much... I thought it was a little too "meandering", and the ending was rather anticlimactic. I might dive back into this series at some point, but I don't read much anymore, and it would be a huge undertaking for me.

Yeah, Gardens of the Moon is tough because SE drops you into the middle of this world and he lets you figure out everything on your own (which I like!). Deadhouse Gates (#2) was written a good while later and is much more focused. It concentrates on a different area/timeline, but things start to get fleshed out better overall. Trust me, it's well-worth sticking to it.

NEVER SURRENDER... Biff Byford's (Saxon) autobiography... not to bad...a little scattered in time line but interesting to hear the circumstances surrounding the makings of certain albums... it's amazing how big this band his over seas and just never broke the U.S.

I am re-reading all the Harry Potter book's, i just love them, and they are entertaining.

Voices From the Street by Philip K. Dick. I'm about 50 pages in. So far, so good. In Dick's SF novels sometimes the story ideas and concepts overshadow the writing style; here his actual way with words comes more into the spotlight.

Olympos by Dan Simmons; I finished the Hyperion series not too long ago as well (thank you Manticora).

I tried reading Guns, Germs and Steel not too long ago and set it down sixty pages in. :puke:

Olympos by Dan Simmons; I finished the Hyperion series not too long ago as well (thank you Manticora).

I'd never realized that Simmons had written so many books (inside and out of Sci-Fi circles). I too finally picked up Hyperion due to the Manticora album and loved it.

In addition to his Sci-Fi novels, I've also read The Terror (historical fiction), Darwin's Blade (crime thriller), A Winter's Haunting (ghost/horror), and his Joe Kurtz novels (hard-boiled crime)...and THEY ALL KICK ASS!

Love that dude...

Rock on!

This is a great thread...especially coming from my buddy, the publishing rep...

I can 2nd his opinion on the Ericson novels...they are a complex, difficult read, but a very ambitious concept. I'm cranking through the novels as best as I can (but not fast enough for Rakosh...tyrant!).

I can't help but comment at the juvenile, homo-erotic irony of reading a book called Deeper by a guy named Long, Glenn...sheesh!...sorry, couldn't resist...

Nice to see China Mieville get some exposure as well...

It's nice to see what a well-read group of metalhead degenerates we are...

Oh, by the way...now reading...

Been hooked on the thriller/crime novels lately...and I'm currently hooked on Robert Crais...fun stuff!

Rock on!

Robert Newcomb- A March Into Darkness (Blood and Stone series)
Rebel Fay- Barb & JC Hendee (Noble Dead series)
Robert Jordan- Knife Of Dreams (Wheel of Time #11)

I'd never realized that Simmons had written so many books (inside and out of Sci-Fi circles). I too finally picked up Hyperion due to the Manticora album and loved it.

In addition to his Sci-Fi novels, I've also read The Terror (historical fiction), Darwin's Blade (crime thriller), A Winter's Haunting (ghost/horror), and his Joe Kurtz novels (hard-boiled crime)...and THEY ALL KICK ASS!

Love that dude...

Rock on!

I'm definitely planning on checking out the books he's written outside of the sci fi genre once I finish Olympos. I've thoroughly enjoyed all of the others I've read so far.

Currently: Spook Country by William Gibson

Recently:
Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan....this guy is killer
Neuromancer (again) by William Gibson

Next: Deeper by Jeff Long (sequel to The Descent)

Agreed. Robert Jordan belongs in Zod's list of overrated list of overrated stuff.

You have to read Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons. It's a great twist on the vampire thing. It's really novel (no pun intended). Children of the Night was also good by him.

I thought I posted this before, but it looks like it didn't work.

I made yardleybates read The Phoenix Guard. It's a great, fun read.

I'm currently reading Water Sleeps by Glen Cook. Cook and Brust are my two favorite authors. While Brust's work is pretty complex (plot-wise) and funny, Cook's is gritty and funny.

If you'd like a challenge, try reading the Instrumentalities of the Night books by Glen Cook. That's another book where he throws you into a world and you figure out what is going on as you read. It's great stuff, but it takes some thinking. Robert Jordan fans need not bother.

Currently reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac, Zen Guitar by Philip Toshio Sudo, and History of Jazz by Ted Gioia. Still to come Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson. Got alot of reading to do.

Right now I am reading a couple of things to prepare for DragonCon, after that I plan to read Mike Carey's "The Devil You Know" and also Liz Williams' "Snake Agent."

Awesome thread, I never paid attention to this part of the forum before (so sorry when I've posted off-topic in the "main" forum). I'll add this to my usual rounds.

I haven't read Jacqueline Carey's books but she is cool in person and an attractive woman as well. One day I might read those Martin books, I just don't have the time or desire to commit to multi-book epics. That is what turns me off of most contemporary fantasy these days.