Now Reading...

I'm on to "Soldiers Live" now. It's the last Black Company book that's been written to date. Since this is the last one, I don't remember it at all. I've only read it once, so it's like reading a brand new book. :)

Truancy - Isamu Fukui

This one won't be out until March '08, written when the author was 15 (he's now 16), and it's aimed at teens and older---but don't think this is Eragon by any means! Assassination and terrorism against an educational system run amok are adult themes, indeed.

Think Ender's Game meets 'Another Brick in the Wall' with a touch of anime-like action. I've completely forgotten that I'm reading a book written by a kid...and that's high praise. Hopefully it will hold up until the end.

:Smokin:

I'm now reading Brokedown Palace by Steven Brust, and The Black Company by Glen Cook. I read the first Black Company book a couple of years ago and didn't like it much but I'm giving it another try based on Yippee38's recommendation.

Ken

Neil Gaiman's Complete Sandman-Vol 1

I'm not that big on comics, but the Sandman series is amazing, and worth a look by anyone who appreciates deep storytelling.

Yeah, Gardens of the Moon is tough because SE drops you into the middle of this world and he lets you figure out everything on your own (which I like!). Deadhouse Gates (#2) was written a good while later and is much more focused. It concentrates on a different area/timeline, but things start to get fleshed out better overall. Trust me, it's well-worth sticking to it.
:Smokin:

I've read through Midnight Tides and I still don't understand what the f*** is going on! heh. I like House of Chains the best thus far; that was where I was first able to put together a more comprehensive overview, and it took me far less time to slog through it.

You have to read Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons. It's a great twist on the vampire thing. It's really novel (no pun intended). Children of the Night was also good by him.

Children of the Night was better than Carrion Comfort, but CC was also his first book, I think, and it shows; there's some grindingly painful prose in it. COTN, however, made me want to hop on the next plane to Eastern Europe, vampires or no vampires. I liked The Terror too. Olympos, not so much.

I'm on the last book of a series by Richard Morgan. "Altered Carbon" was the first book, then "Broken Angels", and I'm on "Woken Furies." You can look them up on Wikipedia if you have interest. They are kind of cyberpunkish, set in the far future, where you can swap bodies but maintain your being. It's violent, shootem up kind of scifi, main character is kind of a supercommando. I didn't care much for the second book, but the first and third are decent fun.