Now Reading...

Not only have I never heard of those books... I've never heard of those authors.

I must not be well read in a few genres.

I have been a fan of historical mysteries, treasure hunts, techno-thrillers, etc. long before D-Day (The Divinici Code) hit. The genre expanded quickly once publishers saw that cash cow and I could barely keep up. Now that the bloom has now fallen off the rose, I have to return to hunting down the smaller authors (many who go the indy route).

Yeah, me either, but I'm just now trying to find stuff that I enjoy reading. I've never been a big reader, but I'm finding myself wanting to be.

~Brian~

Read a chapter before you go to bed every night, and then read at other times when you have some free time. You'll be shocked at how many books you'll end up getting through. No matter how tired I am now I try to read a chapter before I go to sleep. While sleep might be shorter, it tends to be sounder.

Read a chapter before you go to bed every night

Until you get old like me, then you'll be lucky to get through 5 pages before falling asleep. It drives me nuts - if I lay down after 9 or 10pm, then no matter how awake I think I am, reading will make me fall asleep quickly ... even if I *want* to stay awake to read. My wife, on the other hand, can keep herself awake reading indefinitely and has pulled some almost all-nighters when into a good book. I'm jealous of that ability!

Ken

Now that the bloom has now fallen off the rose...

I'm always amazed by how shortsighted publishers are. Instead of looking for books with a similar storytelling style as "DaVinci Code," they went, "Yeah, yeah! Templars! Yeah, yeah! Renaissance painters! That'll sell!" It's like they missed the entire point.

Read a chapter before you go to bed every night, and then read at other times when you have some free time. You'll be shocked at how many books you'll end up getting through. No matter how tired I am now I try to read a chapter before I go to sleep. While sleep might be shorter, it tends to be sounder.

I agree.

~Brian~

Honestly, with the Discworld novels you can start anywhere. But I'm fairly anal-retentive when it comes to books, and I like to go in chronological order. So you really can't go wrong with The Color of Magic and then reading The Light Fantastic. Those are the first two, and they DO go in order. The only other Discworld novels that you really have to consider any kind of continuity are the Death Trilogy - Mort, Reaper Man, and Soul Music.

I finished Theif of Time about 15 minutes ago. That was quite enjoyable, and featured Death's granddaughter, Susan. The only other book she's in (that I can remember, or as far as I know) is Hogswatch.

So if you're anything like me when it comes to chronological order, start with the first two novels mentioned, and then work your way forward based on original publication year. My boyfriend has lately been traversing the Discworld and constantly tells me he hates me for introducing him to those novels, even as he's picking up another one to read. :D

As for what I'll read next...I haven't decided. Possibly another Discworld novel, Monsterous Regiment, or I'll start reading Deepwood by Jennifer Robertson. Those are the two most likely to be next, anyway.

Rereading Diana Gabaldon - Outlander.

I'm trying very hard not to buy any more books than I absolutely have to have, because I'm moving in a few months and I'm trying to get RID of the ones I don't want to haul with me!

As for what I'll read next...I haven't decided. Possibly another Discworld novel, Monsterous Regiment, or I'll start reading Deepwood by Jennifer Robertson. Those are the two most likely to be next, anyway.

Monstrous Regiment was great....but then again, virtually every Discworld book has been golden. (The only 'weaker' one in my mind is Feet of Clay.)

Did you mean Jennifer Roberson? I started her Chronicles of the Cheysuli books a long time ago, but got distracted after a few books and didn't continue.

Still currently reading Kushiel's Justice by Jacqueline Carey. I agree with an earlier comment...less emo please. :)

I'll be enqueueing some of David Weber's brilliant Honor Harrington books for a re-read after Kushiel's Justice, since he was very cool to talk to at Dragon*Con. First books I've actually had autographed at a convention in several years. :kickass:

Down River - John Hart

...needed some "grown-up" lit after the last book. Truancy was good in an anime sort of way, but kind of "out there" conceptually, so it's back to the real world for now.

:Smokin:

Monstrous Regiment was great....but then again, virtually every Discworld book has been golden. (The only 'weaker' one in my mind is Feet of Clay.)

Did you mean Jennifer Roberson? I started her Chronicles of the Cheysuli books a long time ago, but got distracted after a few books and didn't continue.

Yup, meant "Roberson" oopsie!

I really liked Feet of Clay. The two Discworld books that bored me the most were Mort and Eric. And I still enjoyed them, I just thought they were boring, compared to the others.. My best friend and my mother weren't too impressed with Eric, either. And as a side note, my best friend dragged me into the Discworld, and I, in turn, am responsible for my mom becoming lost in the Discworld. :D

Rereading Diana Gabaldon - Outlander.

I'm trying very hard not to buy any more books than I absolutely have to have, because I'm moving in a few months and I'm trying to get RID of the ones I don't want to haul with me!

Just finished Voyager. Going to read some other stuff before going on to the next one in the series.

And put up a list of any scifi/fantasy that you are trying to get rid of (or anything else).

just finished re-reading "Lamb..." by Christopher Moore

fabulous book if you have a sense of humor and the love of the absurd (and irreverent)

and starting to re-read HHGttG (the 6 book trilogy ;) ) and "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett - a highly unbeatable team!

yeah, i re-read a lot....i are nerd like that :OMG:

Just finished Voyager. Going to read some other stuff before going on to the next one in the series.

And put up a list of any scifi/fantasy that you are trying to get rid of (or anything else).

Honestly, the first three are the best; the second triad that takes place during the Revolution gets stretched out way more than is necessary. It's still an interesting read, but you can stop at Voyager and not really miss much (other than wondering how the Frasers will, eventually, die...)

I've already got about 20-30 books claimed by other people, but I've still got an unclaimed stack on my bookshelf. I'll eventually make up a list and post them.

I really liked Feet of Clay. The two Discworld books that bored me the most were Mort and Eric. And I still enjoyed them, I just thought they were boring, compared to the others.. My best friend and my mother weren't too impressed with Eric, either.

That one was kinda like an 'on the side' Discworld book. I'm not sure I've ever read it. Now I'm not sure I want to bother. :)

With Feet of Clay, I always thought I wasn't quite 'getting' something. Since it focuses on golems, I might not be familiar enough with the concept.

And as a side note, my best friend dragged me into the Discworld, and I, in turn, am responsible for my mom becoming lost in the Discworld. :D

"The family that reads together, breeds togeth-- oh, wait." :lol:

If you like your science fiction, then go get a copy of Hyperion by Dan Simmons now! There's a reason we dedicated a whole album to this author and hie creation. It's simply the best novel ever written (with the sequel and the 2 Endymion books). 1800 pages of extreme story telling that slaps you in the face.

Lars

NB: just finished Simmon's new book The Terror. Great, great novel with a superb feeling. This man can't write anything bad.