Now Reading...

Children of the Night was better than Carrion Comfort, but CC was also his first book, I think, and it shows; there's some grindingly painful prose in it. COTN, however, made me want to hop on the next plane to Eastern Europe, vampires or no vampires. I liked The Terror too. Olympos, not so much.

Agreed. The thing I liked about Carrion Comfort - and Children of the Night for that matter - was that it was a truly unique twist on the whole vampire thing. That's moreso the case for Carrion Comfort than CotN, but CotN was definitely better written.

I’m in the middle of Dan Brown’s “Digital Fortress,” which I started on the plane ride back from vacation in NY. My other vacation reads:

Wicked – Gregory Maguire (my third time reading the book…nope…don’t like this one at all :lol:).
Plum Lovin’ and Twelve Sharp – Janet Evanovich (hey, every vacation needs a little brain candy).

I also read the last Harry Potter book the day it came out. Glad to see some fellow fans here! :)

One of my personal favorites of any genre. It's why I would give Martin's epic fantasy a shot before most anyone else's. His werewolf novella "The Skin Trade" also rocked the Casbah.

Hey Derek, I sent you a PM a few days back, but apparently you never check your email! :p

Anyway, suggest some good vampire/werewolf books for me to read. I'm trying to find something I actually like reading.

~Brian~

Laurell K. Hamilton. lol.

Actually her first ... um 7 books? in the series are pretty good fun. After that it turns much more into vamperotica. If you are into that. Cool. If not.. avoid the later books in the series. I haven't read the last 2, as stories have been replaced with reasons for the main character to have detailed sex.

Anne Rice's original stuff also avoided vamperotica.

And yeah Id' check out Martin's Fevre Dream, and his The Skin Trade.

Bram Stoker's Dracula is recommended from many as well. I haven't read it yet. Heard Bram's writing is fairly poor but the story carries.

And frankly most of the books based on the White Wolf (Vampire and Werewolf) are probably pretty decent.

The Wheel of Darkness- Preston & Childs

Pendergast is one of the best characters in fiction ever.

Agreed! Still Life with Crows was one of my favorite books ever. I have been looking forward to Wheel of Darkness, but hadn't realized it was out yet. I guess it's time for another trip to Barnes and Noble....

Laurell K. Hamilton. lol.

Actually her first ... um 7 books? in the series are pretty good fun. After that it turns much more into vamperotica. If you are into that. Cool. If not.. avoid the later books in the series. I haven't read the last 2, as stories have been replaced with reasons for the main character to have detailed sex.

And yeah Id' check out Martin's Fevre Dream, and his The Skin Trade.

Bram Stoker's Dracula is recommended from many as well. I haven't read it yet. Heard Bram's writing is fairly poor but the story carries.

And frankly most of the books based on the White Wolf (Vampire and Werewolf) are probably pretty decent.

No, I'm not into vampire sex. :rolleyes: That just seems silly to me. I'm after more of the traditional horror tales. I wasn't thinking of Anne Rice, so maybe I'll check her out. Wasn't the movie "Interview With The Vampire" based on an Anne Rice book?

~Brian~

I've been trying to read Elantris by Brandon Sanderson but I really haven't been good about finishing books lately. The plane trip to & from Atlanta should result in some progress. If I ever finish that book and his other two, I'm going to try a Gaiman book since I've really enjoyed the Stardust & Mirrormask movies.

And in total contradiction to my previous post, I can't get into the paranormal fantasy that's been taking over the shelves lately... most of it seems to be little more than glorified smut with a little howling and gnashing of teeth thrown in. At least the kinky sex was an important part of the plot and character development in Carey's books.

I don't think her original material avoided "vamperotica," it was just more subtle and less "Harlequin" than a lot of the authors who shot up in her wake.

Stoker's "Dracula" is more than worth a read. It is hard to get into due to it's structure, but the format actually adds to the feeling of reality as well as heightens the suspense. The reader can put the clues together long before the characters know what is going on, etc. It has flaws - Dracula's dialogue being the most obvious - but anyone who likes vampire books needs to read it.

The Amazon haul arrived today:

Havoc- Jack DuBrul
Plague Year- Jeff Carlson
The Last Secret- Sholes & Moore
The Hades Project- Sholes & Moore
Heartsick- Chelsea Cain
Reincarnationist- MJ Rose
Ancestor- Scott Sigler (Earthcore rocked!)
Legend: An Event Group Novel (Book II)- David Lynn Goleman
Raising the Past- Jeremy Robinson
Antarktos Rising- Jeremy Robinson
Solomon's Key: The Codis Project- R Douglas Weber

Not only have I never heard of those books... I've never heard of those authors.

I must not be well read in a few genres.

The Amazon haul arrived today:

Havoc- Jack DuBrul
Plague Year- Jeff Carlson
The Last Secret- Sholes & Moore
The Hades Project- Sholes & Moore
Heartsick- Chelsea Cain
Reincarnationist- MJ Rose
Ancestor- Scott Sigler (Earthcore rocked!)
Legend: An Event Group Novel (Book II)- David Lynn Goleman
Raising the Past- Jeremy Robinson
Antarktos Rising- Jeremy Robinson
Solomon's Key: The Codis Project- R Douglas Weber

For some reason Glenn, I'm surprised that you read this much. :yow:

~Brian~