Now Reading...

One day I might read those Martin books, I just don't have the time or desire to commit to multi-book epics. That is what turns me off of most contemporary fantasy these days.

A Song of Ice and Fire is no ordinary fantasy series. There are literally hundreds of significant characters, and the story is told from 15 or so different points of view simultaneously, but it still flows together seamlessly. Characters are very different from each other, and the character dynamics are very deep and complex; you don't get that with a lot of fantasy. Even though it's a completely made-up world, events and occurrences are very "raw" and realistic, rather than contrived, like in most high fantasy. For example, "magic" is treated as an occult phenomenon; the "good guys" don't necessarily win in every situation; and any possible fate could befall any character at any point in the story.

It's my favorite book series, and I can't compliment it highly enough. I know it sounds daunting, but it's definitely worth the attention it requires.

The only negative thing about a story this intricate is that it takes Martin so long to write the next book in the series. The third book came out in 2000, and the fourth book didn't come out until 2005. The fifth book is still not finished, despite the fact that most of it was written in 2005.

But you might not have to read it, anyway; HBO has optioned it for a TV series, with one full season per book.

A Song of Ice and Fire is no ordinary fantasy series.

I'm aware of that via Pellaz and his former roomies, it's just that I am not a big fan of the form. It's not that I dislike it (I enjoy films set in these kind of milieus), but I just don't have the time to devote to it. If I was to start reading one of those series, that would be the one I'd go with due to my past enjoyment of Martin's work. When it comes to fantasy, I'm more of a Roert E. Howard kind of guy.

guards, guards- Terry Pratchett

Excellent series!

You have to read Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons. It's a great twist on the vampire thing. It's really novel (no pun intended). Children of the Night was also good by him.

Children of the Night was a great book! It's outside my usual reading genres, but it, and Robert McCammon's Boy's Life, were both firmly recommended to me by a fellow bookworm. His name? Kirk Hammett. :heh:

If you'd like a challenge, try reading the Instrumentalities of the Night books by Glen Cook. That's another book where he throws you into a world and you figure out what is going on as you read. It's great stuff, but it takes some thinking. Robert Jordan fans need not bother.

Yeah, doncha know I never, ever think about anything. Ever. (Sorry, I'm an RJ fan, while freely admitting that his books are popcorn in the face of Storm Constantine's filet mignon or George R.R. Martin's porterhouse.)

Waiting patiently for book 1 of R.A Salvatore's new Drizzt Trilogy "Mustakrakish the Lake Troll"..erm I mean "The Orc King".

Last book I read recently was HP7 Deathly Hallows.

Constantine has some popcorn too. Like Stalking Tender Prey =p That book... while interesting does not hold up to her other series(es?). I haven't read anymore into that series.

George R. R. Martin's Fevre Dream is a pretty good vampire book.

Yeah, I read one of hers... maybe this one... if that tells you anything about how memorable it was. Didn't think the writing was very strong, and the story was also a bit weak IMO.

Agreed. Her descriptions are great, but the story itself is just a lot of "they went here, had coffee.. they went there, and something suspicious happned... they went back for more coffee and to talk about how suspicious it was" :erk: Throw in the oodles of useless characters that just add to the confusion and slow pace, and 1 big obvious red herring and you've got Ghost Walk. Too bad really... the story's concept is totally awesome and could make a really sweet book! If handled properly... :lol:

George R. R. Martin's Fevre Dream is a pretty good vampire book.

One of my personal favorites of any genre. It's why I would give Martin's epic fantasy a shot before most anyone else's. His werewolf novella "The Skin Trade" also rocked the Casbah.

Ghost Walk by Heather Graham ... not sure if I like it enough to finish :-\

I dislike most "paranormal romance," but I do want to give props to my dear friend Sherrilyn Kenyon, whose books I generally enjoy.

Constantine has some popcorn too. Like Stalking Tender Prey =p That book... while interesting does not hold up to her other series(es?). I haven't read anymore into that series.

Mmmmm, okayyyy, but that's actually one of her more 'real-world interesting' series, being based on Andrew Collins' Watcher theories in From the Ashes of Angels - The Hidden Legacy of a Fallen Race.
The Behemoth song "The Reign of Shemsu-Hor" is based on the same book. :headbang:

For her popcorn, I'd probably say Thin Air. :)

Funny thing, I think I'd probably appreciate the Grigori books more than anything else she's written.

Well maybe I'll have to read the second book then =p

I don't recall why I didn't love the Grigori book as much as Magravandian or Wraeththu. I just remember coming away from it thinking 'okay that was odd, and I enjoyed it, but not as much as the other books....'

I actually have not read the Grigori books, but they looked like they would appeal to me more than the others, based on the subject matter.

I just finished Sandworms of Dune by Brian Herbert and that Anderson dude.

I was not as pleased with it as I have been with the rest of the Dune restart books. I think it made the first serious missteps in the series. Also waiting for The Lost Colony from John Scalzi. The last three books of his (Old Man's War, The Android's Dream, and The Ghost Brigades) were very good, and I'm hoping that the Lost Colony will continue.

I'm also waiting for Red Seas under Red Skies, the sequel to The Lies of Locke Lamorra, by Scott Lynch. I have to thank Mr. Harveston for pointing out a fantastic book.

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn ... ... hey, it reads like a book, ok??? :loco:

However, I do intend on starting The Legacy of the Drow trilogy quite soon.

A Song of Ice and Fire is no ordinary fantasy series. There are literally hundreds of significant characters, and the story is told from 15 or so different points of view simultaneously, but it still flows together seamlessly. Characters are very different from each other, and the character dynamics are very deep and complex; you don't get that with a lot of fantasy. Even though it's a completely made-up world, events and occurrences are very "raw" and realistic, rather than contrived, like in most high fantasy. For example, "magic" is treated as an occult phenomenon; the "good guys" don't necessarily win in every situation; and any possible fate could befall any character at any point in the story.

It's my favorite book series, and I can't compliment it highly enough. I know it sounds daunting, but it's definitely worth the attention it requires.

The only negative thing about a story this intricate is that it takes Martin so long to write the next book in the series. The third book came out in 2000, and the fourth book didn't come out until 2005. The fifth book is still not finished, despite the fact that most of it was written in 2005.

But you might not have to read it, anyway; HBO has optioned it for a TV series, with one full season per book.

Great thread! I have read all of the Fire & Ice books (and all but the last one twice in order to refresh my memory) and I love the series! It just totally amazes me that someone can write so much about so many people and keep it all together. I mean, there are family trees in the back of the book for God's sake! I hadn't heard about the TV series, that will be interesting but probably dissapointing as almost all movies/shows based on books are if you've read the book.

For anyone interested, here is George R. R. Martin's website.