Now Reading...

Hey, you naysayers! Look what I found today!
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Dragons-George-R-R-Martin/dp/0553801473/[/ame]

A Dance with Dragons (Hardcover)
by George R.R. Martin (Author)

List Price: $30.00
Price: $19.80 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $10.20 (34%)
Special Offers Available
Save an extra 5% on all Books pre-orders. Details
This title will be released on September 30, 2008.

As far as reading goes... Tor (http://www.tor.com) is running a little promotion where they email 12 books in 12 weeks. I read a few pages of the first one they sent - Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (fantasy) - and liked it enough to buy it and the sequel. Waiting for book 3 to be released later in the year. The next free Tor book was Old Man's War by John Scalzi (sci-fi), which also appealed to me big time. I am in the middle of the sequel - The Ghost Brigades. Great picks by the publisher! I believe both series meet Bob's criteria.

IT'S ABOUT FREAKING TIME. A Dance of Dragons was SUPPOSED to be out in 2006. Two years later, we finally get it. I've honestly forgotten who certain characters are at this point.

- one disgruntled Song of Ice and Fire fan

H
This title will be released on September 30, 2008.

He has to finish it first. He specified in his blog that if he got it finished and turned in by June, THEN there was a very good possibility it would be on the shelves in the fall. Amazon is notorious for jumping the gun, trying to get preorders for books that ain't done. (see Melanie Rawn's "Captal's Tower," which has been unfinished for over a decade, yet still has a periodically updated release date, currently sitting at January 2009.)

Shaddup, naysayer!

I'll wait before I place a preorder, but this is the best news I've had since Saturday!

(On Saturday, I got an email from a friend of mine who we all thought had died, and from whom we'd had no contact in over 20 years. :D )

Just finished The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. It started out as a book club choice, and I think I've managed to push it into the curriculum for a course I'm teaching next year. She's an incredibly descriptive, thorough writer, and although I couldn't help but want to slap the hell out of the main character at several points throughout the novel, I found myself identifying with him at several stages, and in pivotal moments. I've heard from some that reading this would be infuriating, but I suspect that it stems from people not being at all able to connect to the work because its structured around Bengali characters, their traditions, and their struggles to adapt. Definitely a different lens through which to look at the world... and a worthwhile look, at that. Now I need to go back to her first collection of stories, and eventually pick up her newest work.

Next up... Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. Ok, I kinda started this already, but it's the last book I'm teaching this year. Pretty sure I don't really need to read it to come to the conclusion that Alex Supertramp, er, Christopher McCadnless was nothing short of a selfish idiot and not the heroic and noble man some of my students will surely make him out to be.

just reread it! :lol: I'm happy that GRRM takes his time to produce quality rather than bang them out like a cheap Goodkind whore. Ooops.

If you'd like to come to Carbondale and complete all my assignments, get me an internship, get my first 300 internship hours completed, AND go to classes for me, then I'd be glad to re-read the series. As it is, I hardly have time to read books that I have NOT read yet, let alone re-read anything. :p

Yeah, that's why I'm not a big fan of GRRM anymore. I'm not into soap operas.

Well, Gene Wolfe is a lot better. I was saying that some people are sounding whiny and of short attention span, for being so busy. Orbweaver, you failed to understand that it's the same thing. I'm not responsible for your choice of books to read.

As for depth and easy reading, you might want to try... well... nothing.

What's that? Oh, I'm sorry, I thought I heard the sound of a pompous windbag. But surely, someone who has never met me, nor knows what books line my shelves wouldn't make such SILLY assumptions! :lol: