Now Reading...

I just read Tiraz by Arnon Grunberg and Die Verwandlung by Franz Kafka. Now I started Là-bas by Huysmans. :)

It's an excellent stepping stone towards other sci-fi, though. "Oh, you liked Glory Season? Here, try some Vernor Vinge..."

Pyres - Derek Nikitas

Local author here in Atlanta...this one was nominated for an Edgar this year. It didn't win, but so far it's pretty good (at least it starts with a bang!).

:Smokin:

PS: I'd definitely recommend reading the book that DID win the Edgar this year--Down River by John Hart. Not only was it an excellent book overall, but John's also a nice guy to sit and have a drink with!

Still reading Tempting Fate by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro....but only about 10% of the book left. It's great!

Once it gets going, it really gets going. There were passages that actually moved me, which is a difficult thing for a book to do. A perfect ending to the initial books in the series.

...well...finished 'the amber spyglass' book 3 (philip pullman's 'his dark matters' trilogy)

this book has a lot happening in it compared to the first two (the golden compass & the subtle knife)....i don't like what he did to some of the characters...i think he got rid of them too fast...some of them could have had good story lines.......i think too he rushed the story in this book......(i really want to mention the characters i am talking about but i don't want to ruin it for others) grrrrrrrrrr....

i gotta find something else to read now....kinda bummed it ended (though i know there is another book after these)...

someone mentioned reading dante's inferno....that was good reading...

wow...i read a book that someone else here has...o_O

most of the books/authors peeps mentioned here i have never ever heard of....

...well...finished 'the amber spyglass' book 3 (philip pullman's 'his dark matters' trilogy)

this book has a lot happening in it compared to the first two (the golden compass & the subtle knife)....i don't like what he did to some of the characters...i think he got rid of them too fast...some of them could have had good story lines.......i think too he rushed the story in this book...

I agree with this, especially the last part. Don't want to get into it toooo much, but there were some important aspects of the overall story that seemed oddly muted when the book (and series) ended.

Still, a great series overall. I'm hunting around for a good price on the Golden Compass DVD right now. :)

I'll admit it's fanboyism... but seriously; click the link in my sig and see if any of Wolfe's series interest you. George RR Martin doesn't knock off characters lightly either.

...hmmmm....not sure about wolfe...but i recognized neil gaiman who wrote stardust...i absolutely LOVED the story (the movie)...i do like him and may look into his books...

thanx :)

I agree with this, especially the last part. Don't want to get into it toooo much, but there were some important aspects of the overall story that seemed oddly muted when the book (and series) ended.

Still, a great series overall. I'm hunting around for a good price on the Golden Compass DVD right now. :)

...i still have yet to see the movie...o, and the whole time i was reading the books, i pronounced lyra's name as lira and then i saw a commercial advertising the dvd and lee (in his balloon) called her lyra....(i still read it as lira)...:p

..o, and i will finally introduce myself to you at pp so we can chat about this? k? :) (i always saw you there, just shy about introducing myself to peeps sometimes)

I just read her newest one, and it's pretty good. The older I get the more socially conservative I get. But this is a music forum, and a thread about what we're reading, so I'm not getting any further into politics.

I've finished CQY's Tempting Fate and am now in that "in-between-books" phase. I do most of my reading on the john, so.....out comes the Bathroom Reader from the Bathroom Research Institute. :lol: (In all seriousness, it's well-done, and by a small independent press.)