Now Reading...

I've never seen that one, but I love it anyway. The title alone tells the story. You have to think (slightly) to get it, but then it becomes hysterical.

Given that, at the time, I was a HUGE Phantom of the Opera fan, I found it side-splittingly hilarious.

I tried to see if I could find it online to share, but no luck. And I'm not sure what I did with that particular page, either.

As a flight instructor, this quickly became my favorite:
cow_question.gif

I'm working my way through "When Gravity Fails" by George Alec Effinger - cyberpunk sci-fi in an Arabic setting. It's a bit weird, but I find it interesting that he nails some Arabic/Muslim cultural characteristics, like how it's considered terribly rude just to say "no" to someone; instead you have to take the roundabout route, saying "I wish I could help you" and variations on that.

I love that book! Thumbs up.

Currently (re-)reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

An Evil Guest - Gene Wolfe (Advance Readers Copy)

From the cover:

Lovecraft mets Blade Runner. This is a stand-alone supernatural horror novel with a 30s noir atmosphere. Gene Wolfe can write in whatever genre he wants--and always with superb style and profound depth. Now following his World Fantasy Award winner, Soldier of Sidon, and his stunning Pirate Freedom, Wolfe turns to the tradition of H.P. Lovecraft and the weird science tale of supernatural horror.

Set a hundred years in the future, An Evil Guest is a story of an actress who becomes the lover of both a mysterious sorcerer and private detective, and an even more mysterious and powerful rich man, who has been to the human colony on an alien planet and learned strange things there. Her loyalties are divided--perhaps she loves them both. The detective helps her to release her inner beauty and become a star overnight. And the rich man is the benefactor of a play she stars in. But something is very wrong. Money can be an evil guest, but there are other evils. As Lovecraft said, "That is not dead which can eternal lie."

Sounds promising...we'll see if it holds up to the hype.
:Smokin:

An Evil Guest - Gene Wolfe (Advance Readers Copy)

Lovecraft mets Blade Runner. This is a stand-alone supernatural horror novel with a 30s noir atmosphere.

There's another book that I can safely say that I'll want to read.

Calvin & Hobbes is great stuff, but I prefer The Far Side. Some of that stuff is so twistedly funny.

Love them both! I also get a big kick out of Dilbert and “Get Fuzzy”.

Favorite “Far Side” (that I can remember right now):

Guy shows up to deliver a pizza to a group of people in hell. The box is labeled, “Jerry’s Pizza – We Deliver Anywhere”. The devil tells the group, “First of all, this is going straight back. And I’ll just have a little chat with whoever placed the order.” :lol:

Currently Reading:

Rick Steves – Europe Through the Back Door 2008

Janet Evanovich – Plum Lucky (a little brain candy…)

ok, had to take a break from the Gene Wolfe...too much '30s noir, not enough Lovecraft or Blade Runner as promised. It's reading more like an episode of the old radio show The Shadow. Not bad, but not what I was expecting or wanting at the moment.

Instead, I've picked up The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston & Mario Spezi and have blazed through half the book in 2 sittings. It's a non-fiction account of the hunt for a Jack the Ripper-like serial killer in Italy in the mid 1980s. Thomas Harris based much of Hannibal on the case, and Preston & Spezi even got caught up into the investigation at one point. Fascinating so far...

:Smokin:

I finished The Metatemporal Detective by Michael Moorcock. It was very-good-to-great, although, as often happens, MM's politics don't agree with me sometimes.

Now starting: Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis (of course). There is an amazing irony in that progression. :) (I recently saw the movie and am re-reading the book....might just re-read the whole series since it's been many years.)

I'm very slowly working my way through the Bonehunters, and starting to wonder why I bother, because trying to keep track of everything that's going on in one large book, let alone keep it in perspective with any story arcs coming from previous books, is nigh impossible, at least with the hoppy skippy way that Erikson writes.

I finished King's The Dark Half. Quite a good book, and I've changed my mind on Stephen King. Not only is he a good storyteller but he's also a good writer. He gets into characters and makes them believable on a level that eludes most writers, and he's one of the few writers who can write good dialog.

He gets into characters and makes them believable on a level that eludes most writers, and he's one of the few writers who can write good dialog.

That's always been my favorite thing about him. Even if the story sucks, and there have been some serious turds over the years, his character development puts most to shame. It's one of those things that hits me sometimes when reading his books, smacks me upside the head and I realize that I'll never be the kind of writer I wish I could be.

Still trudging through Treason by Orson Scott Card. Thankfully it's almost over. I really think I'm done with him. Every now and then, someone will rave about one of his books I haven't read, and I'll give it a try. I et burned every time. This one isn't painful like some. I am going to finish it, but I don't know if I would recommend it unless you like his freaky shit.