Now Reading...

Still trudging through Treason by Orson Scott Card. Thankfully it's almost over. I really think I'm done with him. Every now and then, someone will rave about one of his books I haven't read, and I'll give it a try. I et burned every time. This one isn't painful like some. I am going to finish it, but I don't know if I would recommend it unless you like his freaky shit.

I got where you are a book or two ago. I used to really like Card (Ender, early Alvin Maker), but his books got worse and worse in terms of plot, dialogue, characterizations, and preachiness. I picked up Treason in the library, looked at it, and just said 'nah'.

Steve in Philly

Not a bad book, but it pales in comparison with what comes later.

Well, the point is to read the whole Dark Elf series starting at the beginning. I've read the Icewind Dale trilogy a long time ago. I also read the prequel. So I'm going to reread all those and go on from there. I'm reading Streams of Silver right now. I have to pick up Halfling's Gem again as I cannot find it. Since I can't remember these books - it's been that long - I don't even know if I ever read it in the first place.

Well you could do what I'm doing, but I don't think it would help if you're looking for dark. It's pretty run of the mill D&D fiction IMO. Then again, I haven't read that later stuff, only the first two trilogies and then the next book (Legacy).

Have you read the two Instrumentalities of the Night books by Glen Cook? They're challenging, but great IMO.

Coldheart Canyon by Clive Barker. I always enjoy Mr. Barker's work, have to see were this one lands.

I saw something new by Neil Gaiman this past week. Guy is into everything, but I hadn't heard much about a movie he wrote called Stardust. Fun film. I only bring it up here because I know there are a lot of fans who might be as clueless as me. Maybe not.

"Dark Elf" = Drizzt, no?

I'll bite, since I hear a lot about these....where's a good place to start the series?

I'll need something dark and evil after finishing Narnia. :lol:

As Yippie said you could start with reading the Icewind Dale trilogy, and work your way through the series. However, if you're looking for dark you could certainly read The Dark Elf Trilogy first, then go back to Icewind Dale.

The Dark Elf Trilogy: Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn, are definately dark in location, character development, and mindest. These books are the cornerstone of the character of Drizzt, so reading them first is definately a viable option.

About half way throught the series there is a spinoff in the Cleric Quintet. Although this series departs form Drizzt et al. it's worth reading. Some interesting character are introduced here that show up with Dirzzt in the Hunters Blade Trilogy.

The Hunter's Blades Trilogy is pure brutality. Almost the entire trilogy is centered around an intense war and combat, but not a worthy place to start the series.

About three quarters of the way through the series you'll read The Servant of the Shard. This book is a fork in the storyline being book 3 of the Paths of Darkness as well as book 1 of The Sellswords.

My recommended reading order:

The Dark Elf Trilogy:
Homeland
Exile
Sojourn

The Icewind Dale Trilogy:
The Crystal Shard
Streams of Silver
The Halfling's Gem

Legacy of the Drow:
The Legacy
Starless Night
Siege of Darkness
Passage to Dawn

The Cleric Quintet:
Canticle
In Sylvan Shadows
Night Masks
The Fallen Fortress
The Chaos Curse

Paths of Darkness:
The Silent Blade
The Spine of the World
Servant of the Shard*
Sea of Swords

The Hunter's Blades Trilogy:
Ten Thousand Orcs
The Lone Drow
The Two Swords

The Sellswords:
Servant of the Shard*
The Promise of the Witch King
Road of the Patriarch

My recommended reading order:

The Dark Elf Trilogy:
Homeland
Exile
Sojourn

The Icewind Dale Trilogy:
The Crystal Shard
Streams of Silver
The Halfling's Gem

Legacy of the Drow:
The Legacy
Starless Night
Siege of Darkness
Passage to Dawn

Paths of Darkness:
The Silent Blade
The Spine of the World
Servant of the Shard*
Sea of Swords

The Sellswords:
Servant of the Shard*
The Promise of the Witch King
Road of the Patriarch

This is what I've read, so far. Except for Road of the Patriarch, anyway. I'd definitely suggest going in the order Magius suggested.

However, I have grown a bit tired of Drizzt. I really enjoyed reading about Liriel Baenre in the "Daughter of the Drow" series. She is, to me, a more likely "Drow-gone-to-the-surface" character, in that she's good, but she has that streak of chaos that is, in my mind, essential to any Drow.

I realize Drizzt is the exception, rather than the rule, but he's starting to bore me because he's just so darned GOOD. Despite that, I am wanting to read the Hunter's Blade trilogy. I'm just hoping they'll be released in one book through Sci-Fi Book Club.

IMO Jarlaxle is the embodiment of Drow chaos on the surface. Definately one of Salvatore's most colorful characters.

Well, Jarlaxle is Chaotic Neutral, whereas most Drow are Chaotic Evil. Liriel is the Chaotic Good aspect. Which is how a good-aligned drow should be, IMO. The Chaotic aspect of the alignment is what makes the Drow such a fascinating fantasy race. Take the Chaos out of the Drow and you just have your standard fantasy elf. Drizzt is just a Sun Elf that forgot to use sunscreen.

Thanks for the suggestions and suggested reading order! :kickass:

I might not need a dark, evil series after Narnia after all; there are bits of The Silver Chair that are downright dark and gnarly. :heh:

(Somehow I don't think the band Silverchair will be making a cameo appearance...although they did get the name from this book.)

Well, Jarlaxle is Chaotic Neutral, whereas most Drow are Chaotic Evil. Liriel is the Chaotic Good aspect. Which is how a good-aligned drow should be, IMO. The Chaotic aspect of the alignment is what makes the Drow such a fascinating fantasy race. Take the Chaos out of the Drow and you just have your standard fantasy elf. Drizzt is just a Sun Elf that forgot to use sunscreen.

Not that I disagree with you so far as Liriel is concerned; however, consider the possibility that Drizzt is himself an embodiment of chaos. Such a notion is ventured in the Hunter's Blades, which you should indeed read. The Cleric quintet deserves your attention also. No Drizzt there, as you're needing a break from him.

Chaotic Neutral? How oxymoronic, yet somehow most accurate.

Well, Jarlaxle is neither good, nor evil, but damned if he doesn't love pitting one side against the other for his own amusement. ;)

I've been on a Drizzt break for awhile. I should probably break that at some point. Which I will. As soon as Sci Fi Book Club releases the Hunter's Blade trilogy as a complete set in one massive tome, like they've done with the other trilogies.

I've seen the Cleric Quintet through SciFi Book Club, but just never got around to ordering it. I'll do that eventually.

I'm currently reading Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams. When I have time, anyway. I"m 20 pages in and have no clue what the hell is going on. :lol:

I saw a novel entitled "Crunk" the other day at a Barnes & Noble. I'm just sayin'.

Right now I am reading Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's "Darker Jewels." I have some more "Dragon*Con Reading" to do, most likely I will read J.F. Lewis' "Staked" next. Nice guy.

NR: C.S. Lewis, The Magician's Nephew -- one more book in the Chronicles to re-read and then I'll probably read some solid SF for a change of pace.

Sidenote: Assuming they continue making the Narnia movies, the next one, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, could be problematical: there is no central conflict, it's more of a journey of discovery. However, now that I've re-read them, I've got to think that The Horse And His Boy and The Silverchair will make great films if/when they make 'em.

NR: C.S. Lewis, The Magician's Nephew -- one more book in the Chronicles to re-read and then I'll probably read some solid SF for a change of pace.

Sidenote: Assuming they continue making the Narnia movies, the next one, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, could be problematical: there is no central conflict, it's more of a journey of discovery. However, now that I've re-read them, I've got to think that The Horse And His Boy and The Silverchair will make great films if/when they make 'em.

I'm dying for them to make A Horse and His Boy into a movie. However, I'm not sure that they will, as it doesn't follow the central Narnia plot, if I remember correctly. It's set in Narnia, but it is its own story, separate from the greater story line.

I remember that one being one of my favorites. They should make the magicians nephew, it explains everything.