Now Reading...

I'm working my way through "When Gravity Fails" by George Alec Effinger - cyberpunk sci-fi in an Arabic setting. It's a bit weird, but I find it interesting that he nails some Arabic/Muslim cultural characteristics, like how it's considered terribly rude just to say "no" to someone; instead you have to take the roundabout route, saying "I wish I could help you" and variations on that.

I just finished "Child of a Dead God" by the Barb & J.C. Hendee (the latest of the Noble Dead series). It was much better than the previous one. It kinda wrapped up part of one story, and lead into another part.

I just started reading "The Bancroft Strategy" by Robert Ludlum. My Dad liked it and lent it to me. I normally don't read the spy novels.

I'm working my way through "When Gravity Fails" by George Alec Effinger - cyberpunk sci-fi in an Arabic setting. It's a bit weird, but I find it interesting that he nails some Arabic/Muslim cultural characteristics, like how it's considered terribly rude just to say "no" to someone; instead you have to take the roundabout route, saying "I wish I could help you" and variations on that.
Sounds very interesting.

I'm halfway through The Count of Monte Cristo. I am trying to finish it before I see the Vanden Plas Christ 0 rock opera, which is inpired by this book.

The book is great - held my interest from the first page. If you read it, make sure to get an unabridged version. You'll miss a ton of great stuff if you read the little abridged version.

Anyone read any of Alexandre Dumas' other books? This one is so good, I may try another. I guess his son was also an author of quite a few books too.

Anyone read any of Alexandre Dumas' other books? This one is so good, I may try another. I guess his son was also an author of quite a few books too.

Yup. All good. If you like those and like fantasy, check out Steven Brust's Phoenix Guard series. He wrote them in the style of Dumas and the stories parallel the Three Muskateer stories pretty closely, but they are based in a fantasy universe and are much funnier than Dumas' stuff.

ConnieOH: I've only read The Three Muskateers, but I really enjoyed it.

Yip: I'll have to check those books out. The Three Muskateers is one of my favorite classics. So something following that theme sounds good to me! :)

Just finished re-reading Lois Lowry's "The Giver." She says SO much in just under two hundred pages...

Count of Monte Cristo is a rare example where I like the movie better than the book - the 200 pages in the middle of financial scheming drags on forever.

I just finished "Child of a Dead God" by the Barb & J.C. Hendee (the latest of the Noble Dead series). It was much better than the previous one. It kinda wrapped up part of one story, and lead into another part.

I just started reading "The Bancroft Strategy" by Robert Ludlum. My Dad liked it and lent it to me. I normally don't read the spy novels.

I'm reading the previous Noble Dead series one "Rebel Fay" and I love it!

Just finished:
Snuff -- Chuck Palahniuk -- sleazy as all hell, funny at times, insanely perverse... all Chuck. 197 pages or so, read in a single sitting.
The Adventures of Slim & Howdy -- Brooks & Dunn with Bill Fitzhugh -- Yes, it's that Brooks & Dunn. Picked it up 'cause I love Bill Fitzhugh and wanted to see if I could tell how much of it was him and how much was B&D. Overall it was fairly amusing, if a bit uneven. Certainly not on par with Fitzhugh proper, but decent enough.
A Gracious Plenty -- Sheri Reynolds -- Disfigured cemetery caretaker with issues who sees and speaks to the dead. Quick read, but I hear her novel The Rapture of Canaan was better. Will be checking that out eventually.

Now reading:
Fargo Rock City -- Chuck Klosterman
The Book Thief -- Markus Zusak
Heart Seizure -- Bill Fitzhugh
Love Is A Mixtape -- Rob Sheffield
The Pesthouse -- Jim Crace

Now Reading: Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk and Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill.

Follow up: Pyres (Derek Nikitas) held up well all the way to the end...very good first novel and deserving of its Edgar Award nomination. I'll definitely keep an eye out for his next one even though I'm not a huge mystery fan. He's got enough of a modern noir sensibility to hold my interest.

:Smokin:

Powell's haul:

Greg Bear - Queen of Angels
John Varley - The Golden Globe
CS Friedman - The Wilding
Dan Simmons - Worlds Enough & Time
The Essential Calvin & Hobbes