Now Reading...

Finished "Darker Jewels" - one of the better "second tier" Saint-Germain books I have read. Now reading Phaedra Weldon's "Wraith." Enjoyable supernatural mystery set in Atlanta, written by an author who lives in Atlanta, making for a book that feels like it is actually set in Atlanta. I've talked to the author on and off for about a year, and she's coming to Dragon*Con next month, so it was time I read her novel!

I finished the Icewind Dale Trilogy and now I'm reading "Homeland" from the Dark Elf Trilogy. Apparently, the reason I couldn't find my copy of "The Halfling's Gem" is because I never read it before now. I'm not sure how that happened.

FWIW, I definitely like these books better than The Cleric Quintet.

I'm dying for them to make A Horse and His Boy into a movie. However, I'm not sure that they will, as it doesn't follow the central Narnia plot, if I remember correctly. It's set in Narnia, but it is its own story, separate from the greater story line.

True, but it's set during the time of Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy, which would have a good cachet with those who love The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. All of the Four Kings and Queens appear in it except Peter. Hell, it's a great story, but I figure the Council On Arabic Relations would probably threaten a boycott over stereotyping Arabs. :rolleyes:

I remember that one being one of my favorites. They should make the magicians nephew, it explains everything.

Absolutely...and I'm only 40% done with it. The 'Magician' (Uncle Andrew) appears to be a right bastard in it, too. :lol:

Coldheart Canyon by Clive Barker. I always enjoy Mr. Barker's work, have to see were this one lands.

I love Clive Barker, but Coldheart Canyon wasn't one of my favorites. I really enjoy his writing style, but I just couldn't get into the characters in this one.

Currently reading: Loretta LaRoche - "Life is Short - Wear Your Party Pants"

This was an impulse purchase during this week's Whole Foods (a/k/a Whole Paycheck) run. :lol:

I love Clive Barker, but Coldheart Canyon wasn't one of my favorites. I really enjoy his writing style, but I just couldn't get into the characters in this one.

His SF/horror/fantasy/everything book Imajica would make a helluva movie......in fact, I thought it HAD been optioned, but haven't heard anything since. :(

Nice guy, too.

His SF/horror/fantasy/everything book Imajica would make a helluva movie......in fact, I thought it HAD been optioned, but haven't heard anything since. :(

Nice guy, too.

Yep – that’s my favorite one. That's too bad that it seems the film version has stalled, although it would be tough to do justice to the story even with a longer movie. A cable TV mini-series would rock. :headbang:

Now re-reading: Stephen Covey - 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. (My "day job" is kinda sucky right now, and I figured an attitude adjustment couldn't hurt...)

Just finished re-reading the Chronicles of Narnia and, as is my custom, now I'm reading something markedly different in style and tone: Fleet of Worlds (part of the Ringworld saga) by Larry Niven and Edward M. Lerner. :heh:

Niven is probably a Top 5 author for me.....if not, certainly he's in my Top 10.

Pellaz, if you would... the reading order of Moorcock's Elric series? Thanks.

Here's the chronology (I'm not Pellaz, sorry!)

(I) Elric of Melniboné
Book 1
Book 2
Book 3
The Fortress of the Pearl
(II) The Sailor on the Seas of Fate
Book One: Sailing To the Future
Book Two: Sailing To the Present
Book Three: Sailing To the Past
(III) The Weird of the White Wolf
Prologue: The Dream of Earl Aubec
Book One: The Dreaming City
Book Two: While the Gods Laugh
Book Three: The Singing Citadel
(IV) The Vanishing Tower (The Sleeping Sorceress)
Book One: The Torment of the Last Lord
Book Two: To Snare the Pale Prince
Book Three: Three heroes With a Single Aim
The Revenge of the Rose
(V) The Bane of the Black Sword
Book One: The Stealer of Souls
Book Two: Kings in Darkness
Book Three: The Flamebringers (aka The Caravan of Forgotten Dreams)
Epilogue: To Rescue Tanelorn
(VI) Stormbringer
Book One: Dead God's Homecoming
Book Two: Black Sword's Brothers
Book Three: Sad Giant's Shield
Book Four: Doomed Lord's Passing

Moorecock lost me around The Revenge of the Rose series. But the first few novels are excellent, IMO.

There's also a collection of short stories about Elric, called Tales of the White Wolf. Those were my introduction to Moorecock's character. I read these back in high school. Probably around age 17 or so. I <3 antiheros. :)

Here's the chronology (I'm not Pellaz, sorry!)

No, but you just saved Pellaz a good bit of typing. Hoorah!

(I) Elric of Melniboné
Book 1
Book 2
Book 3
The Fortress of the Pearl

He wrote Fortress much later, but chronologically it fits in there. As a side note, sharp-eyed readers will note a familiar first name in the dedication for the American edition. :saint:

(II) The Sailor on the Seas of Fate
Book One: Sailing To the Future
Book Two: Sailing To the Present
Book Three: Sailing To the Past
(III) The Weird of the White Wolf
Prologue: The Dream of Earl Aubec
Book One: The Dreaming City
Book Two: While the Gods Laugh
Book Three: The Singing Citadel
(IV) The Vanishing Tower (The Sleeping Sorceress)
Book One: The Torment of the Last Lord
Book Two: To Snare the Pale Prince
Book Three: Three heroes With a Single Aim
The Revenge of the Rose
(V) The Bane of the Black Sword
Book One: The Stealer of Souls
Book Two: Kings in Darkness
Book Three: The Flamebringers (aka The Caravan of Forgotten Dreams)
Epilogue: To Rescue Tanelorn
(VI) Stormbringer
Book One: Dead God's Homecoming
Book Two: Black Sword's Brothers
Book Three: Sad Giant's Shield
Book Four: Doomed Lord's Passing

I added the italics to indicate the more commonly-found book titles.

There is no easy answer regarding the order in which to read the Elric Saga, BTW, but chronologically makes more sense than most.

--Paul, 'one of the 4 first Nomads'

(I ran Mike Moorcock's international fan club for about 5 years, waybackwhen, and we're still good friends.)

There's also a collection of short stories about Elric, called Tales of the White Wolf. Those were my introduction to Moorecock's character. I read these back in high school. Probably around age 17 or so. I <3 antiheros. :)

Cue: Paul Cashman!

If you have a copy of it, I'll be glad to sign it for you and bring its value down significantly. :lol:

(I wrote the story "White Wolf's Awakening" in that collection.)

Niven is probably a Top 5 author for me.....if not, certainly he's in my Top 10.

He's also a cantankerous and grouchy old man, and he very obviously didn't want to be at the Worldcon signing several years back. The attitude kinda soured me on buying anything else from him.

I'm STILL trying to finish Bonehunters, but I'm nearly there. I reread Good Omens at the beach a couple weeks ago, and I reread a large chunk of The Subtle Knife while traveling to and from Batman. I'm going to pick up Red Seas Under Red Skies in paperback when it comes out in a couple of days - I think I may just have to dedicate an afternoon on my day off to reading it, because that seems to be the about only way I can get in more than 30-50 pages at a stretch.

He's also a cantankerous and grouchy old man, and he very obviously didn't want to be at the Worldcon signing several years back. The attitude kinda soured me on buying anything else from him.

He was considerably less cantankerous and grouchy a few years ago at ChattaCon when he guested there...at least, when I went to his autographing.

Lately, the 'coolest' author I've met was David Weber, whose autographing on the final Monday of Dragon*Con last year basically ended with a couple of us hanging out with him at his table for about 45 minutes, chatting and having a great time. (And then having Michael "funny-noises-in-Police-Academy" Winslow make hilarious sounds and impressions at us over the wall next to his table. :))

I just started into Neal Stephenson's The Baroque Cycle. I'll get back to y'all in 2009 when I'm finally done reading it :)

Ken

I've read the first. I enjoyed it a bit. But as with most of Neal's books, the lack of typical story structure makes it a somewhat slow read (though its not too long), yet the information contained in it can be fascinating. I have the second book but I haven't started it yet. Sometime though.