Now Reading...

Jackpot at the bookstore this past week:

19_english_devil_colony0.jpg

espn_those_guys_hvae_all_the_fun_2011_c_p_0.jpg

State-Of-Wonder_210.jpg

Miss+Peregrine%2527s+Home+for+Peculiar+Children.jpg

mzi.mprjycqq.225x225-75.jpg

0440245834.01._SCL_SX150_.jpg

Amazon Best Books of the Month, June 2011: As a kid, Jacob formed a special bond with his grandfather over his bizarre tales and photos of levitating girls and invisible boys. Now at 16, he is reeling from the old man's unexpected death. Then Jacob is given a mysterious letter that propels him on a journey to the remote Welsh island where his grandfather grew up. There, he finds the children from the photographs--alive and well--despite the islanders’ assertion that all were killed decades ago. As Jacob begins to unravel more about his grandfather’s childhood, he suspects he is being trailed by a monster only he can see. A haunting and out-of-the-ordinary read, debut author Ransom Rigg’s first-person narration is convincing and absorbing, and every detail he draws our eye to is deftly woven into an unforgettable whole. Interspersed with photos throughout, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a truly atmospheric novel with plot twists, turns, and surprises that will delight readers of any age.

I picked up The Way of Kings, even though it'll probably be a month before I get to it. How the hell does Brandon Sanderson have the time, the motivation, and the creativity to not only finish off the last three Wheel of Time books, but plunk out a new 1200+ page novel of his own within the last three or four years? Is he chained to his desk?

http://www.oglaf.com/blank-page/1/
http://www.oglaf.com/muse/

(so very nsfw.)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, June 2011: As a kid, Jacob formed a special bond with his grandfather over his bizarre tales and photos of levitating girls and invisible boys. Now at 16, he is reeling from the old man's unexpected death. Then Jacob is given a mysterious letter that propels him on a journey to the remote Welsh island where his grandfather grew up. There, he finds the children from the photographs--alive and well--despite the islanders’ assertion that all were killed decades ago. As Jacob begins to unravel more about his grandfather’s childhood, he suspects he is being trailed by a monster only he can see. A haunting and out-of-the-ordinary read, debut author Ransom Rigg’s first-person narration is convincing and absorbing, and every detail he draws our eye to is deftly woven into an unforgettable whole. Interspersed with photos throughout, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a truly atmospheric novel with plot twists, turns, and surprises that will delight readers of any age.

...Yeah. I want to read that now. *makes a mental note to get this book when she has money*

I picked up The Way of Kings, even though it'll probably be a month before I get to it. How the hell does Brandon Sanderson have the time, the motivation, and the creativity to not only finish off the last three Wheel of Time books, but plunk out a new 1200+ page novel of his own within the last three or four years? Is he chained to his desk?

Jaime, do NOT put this one off! It's AMAZING. I devoured that book in roughly 2 weeks or so, and I initially was skeptical simply because of its size. This book is outstanding, and you'll be eagerly awaiting the second one once you finish!

Finished Steve Berry's The Templar Legacy, enjoyed it and will definitely continue the series. Doesn't mean I'll quit reading Cussler though. :cool: Now I'm onto Terry Pratchett's "Thud!".

The Tragedy of Arthur by Arthur Phillips. Amazon kept plugging it as one of the top books from the first 6 months of the year, so I broke down and purchased it while waiting on ADWD. So far, I've enjoyed it. It's about a con job involving a "lost" Shakespearean play about King Arthur.

I finished my Song of Ice and Fire re-read marathon, so I'm getting back to the books in my Kindle queue while I wait for A Dance of Dragons.

51P7Hgau0vL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-18,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This is a fairly unorthodox fantasy novel, with a unique style.

That's kind of like saying "I enjoyed Dom Perignon, but I'm still going to drink Boone's Farm."

I've never read Cussler, but his books always seemed intriguing. Somewhat of the high fantasy nature of thrillers. Meaning, that the books are mostly like reading action comics, as opposed to more complex stories. Fun, but not nearly as rewarding. Is this the case, or is his writing, characters, and stories just not all that great?

I've read very little within this genre.

Is this the case, or is his writing, characters, and stories just not all that great?.

That is indeed the case. The truly successful writers (Berry, Rollins, Reilly, Golemon) within the genre blend action and character with historical fact, theory & mystery. They make you wonder if something was possible while throwing curve balls. As you said, Cussler just blows shit up and rescues the lady.

Cussler is the David Eddings of Adventure.

I've never read Cussler, but his books always seemed intriguing. Somewhat of the high fantasy nature of thrillers. Meaning, that the books are mostly like reading action comics, as opposed to more complex stories. Fun, but not nearly as rewarding. Is this the case, or is his writing, characters, and stories just not all that great?

I've read very little within this genre.

They're good mindless fun to me. Granted I'm still fairly early in the series and I hear they get more ridiculous as you go, but if ridiculousness bothered me I wouldn't read scifi/fantasy :D. The only offputting thing to me with the early ones is the clear misongynist streak, though again that has diminished as I've progressed through the series (I'm through Deep Six, all Dirk Pitt books so far. I haven't gotten to any of his other series that he 'co-wrote' with other authors)

Harvester said:
That is indeed the case. The truly successful writers (Berry, Rollins, Reilly, Golemon) within the genre blend action and character with historical fact, theory & mystery. They make you wonder if something was possible while throwing curve balls.
I definitely appreciate this

As you said, Cussler just blows shit up and rescues the lady.

But I appreciate this too :popcorn:

Its kinda like in the movies, I enjoy both The Dark Knight and Transformers even though I recognize TDK is the much much better film. Sometimes its fun just to escape reality and not have to think very hard.

Hey now, I like Eddings!

Though I haven't read anything beyond the Belgariad and the Mallorean. Which are essentially the same series of novels. XD

As far as fantasy goes, I REALLY enjoy Sanderson, Butcher (seriously, if you've never red the Codex Alera series, you're missing out), GRRM (when he's actually writing his Song of Ice and Fire novels) etc... But sometimes it's nice to have brain popcorn, like Eddings, or the author who writes the Xanth novels. His name escapes me at the moment.