Now Reading...

I realize this is not "proper" use of the Now Reading thread, but I just wanted to take this opportunity to mention that at least four people at my job are now reading A Song of Ice and Fire for the first time. Three were not previously fantasy fans. :)

Check back in with them in August, after they've had July to read ADWD, and they start asking, "When is the next book coming out??" :p

On topic: I'm halfway through Dust of Dreams by Erikson. This one seems to cause a larger number of instances than usual of me thinking. "Who the hell are these characters, where are they, and why do I care?"

Ken

I realize this is not "proper" use of the Now Reading thread, but I just wanted to take this opportunity to mention that at least four people at my job are now reading A Song of Ice and Fire for the first time. Three were not previously fantasy fans. :)

I'm actually reading the second book of Dreamsongs (don't have the first one. I found this copy cheap in a bookstore) and I'm now up to where he's writing screenplays.

As an update, I finished Orson Scott Card's "The Memory Of Earth", which has an interesting take on faith and what happens when your "god" starts failing and needs to ask for some help. I also finished Vonda McIntyre's "Starfarers" (which is available for free from her site). She also had some interesting ideas of what would happen in the wake of the Soviet Union falling and what would and would not be socially acceptable in society. Course, it only starts getting interesting at the end of the book, with three more following.

Follow up to my most recent post: I just finished The Long Price quartet by Daniel Abraham. This was an outstanding series! This is a very character driven series in which the both the protagonists and antagonists are very well fleshed out. There aren't any truly evil characters in the series; the reader feels some degree of sympathy even for the players who have committed atrocities. I have been trying to figure out a way to summarize the series without much success. The major conflict is between 2 neighboring countries, one that has no military tradition or standing armies but has weapons of mass destruction that they have used in the past, and the other which is militaristic but lacks the andats, summoned creatures of devastating capabilities. The books explore what happens when the andats are suddenly removed from the equation and the chaos that ensues.

I think I enjoyed this series as much as Song of Fire and Ice or Robin Hobb's Royal Assassin series. Highly recommended.

^ I was actually checking out A Shadow in Summer a few weeks ago! I'll definitely look into them now.

Finished Graveminder. Spectacular. I was already biased because I loved her YA series, but this was even better. It really reminded me of Neil Gaiman in places.

In the middle of Harry Potter Book 5.. audiobooks ftw (i buy the books too, I just don't read them). Figured everybody else has read the series I might as well join in. Haven't even seen the movies past this book either.

Just started Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.

I love that book. Even if you read nothing else of hers, that alone is worth it.

I've started my GRR Martin reread in advance of the DWD release next month, starting with Clash of Kings, since I've read GOT so many times I don't really need to re-familiarize myself with it...

I read about a half dozen disposable fiction novels on vacation, but now I'm working on:

51F00wkmyvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's an interesting look at the history and social relevance of comic books.

Just finished Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Biography

I didn't know a bunch of pages about doing drugs, drinking alcohol and screwing women could be as engrossing as it was. :devil:

In between all that are observations about various people in the industry, as well as a hard look about where he's been. I felt like he was as hard on himself by the end as he was on other people in the industry, though his biases definitely show and all of his little idiosyncracies are definitely on parade as you progress through his life.

He must be a real bear to work for and to work with....

deadline.jpg

Aaaand Finished Deadline by Mira Grant last night in one sitting. I'd been waiting for this one for a year, as Feed, it's predecessor, was quite a brilliant book, completely worthy of being a Hugo nominee. Not as utterly amazing as Feed, but still really good, and a couple really good plot twists at the end. Really looking forward to the third book in the series...now a good year away.

I love that book. Even if you read nothing else of hers, that alone is worth it.

I agree with jaimek, this is wonderful series. The Fool is one of my all time favorite characters.

Both of you were right, this was really good. I'll hop onto the next book once I've made a solid dent into the books I have lying around - I put a personal ban on buying/borrowing new books until I've finally gotten some others out of the way.

Now reading: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

Finished Team of Rivals, highly recommended for anyone who enjoys Civil War history or just history in general. It paints an amazing picture of the kind of man Abraham Lincoln was.

Up next, based on Glenn's recommendation is Steve Berry's The Templar Legacy.

Just finished up an anthology from Norvell Page (the old pulp magazine writer) about a crime-fighter character called The Spider. Very Green Hornet-ish but a little better, methinks. Now starting a series by Larry Correia called "Monster Hunters, International" and was curious if anyone else has read this and has an opinion?