Now Reading...

This one keeps coming up as a "recommended for me" selection on my Kindle, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Is it worth obtaining?

Steve Berry is one of my favorite adventure/thriller writers. TJK is his 10th book and 7th with Cotton Malone as the main character.

If you haven't already, I would suggest going back and starting with "The Templar Legacy" and working your way forward if you enjoy it.

Finished off Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" over the weekend. Overall, a very satisfying read with a couple of twists that I probably should have seen coming and enough stuff to build on a sequel.

I'll also be finishing off Orson Scott Card's "The Memory Of Earth" soon.

Just finished the latest in the Noble Dead series. It was slow compared to the rest but had a fantastic finish!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046ECFGI/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0451459067&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0X4EDE3TETTMSJVMBTPH"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046ECFGI/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0451459067&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0X4EDE3TETTMSJVMBTPH[/ame]

And I wish they'd get that shit off my SF/F shelves and move it over to smut where it belongs!

Tanya Huff's vampire books are not smut, or even particularly "romantic." They are vampire books before the genre got overrun with that stuff. "The good old days."

Tanya Huff's vampire books are not smut, or even particularly "romantic." They are vampire books before the genre got overrun with that stuff. "The good old days."

I didn't mean Tanya Huff particularly, just the entire genre generally speaking, which IS mostly smut with a sloppy coat of "makin' it up as I go" fantasy.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of this. I've picked up the series in hardcover as its appeared on the discount racks but haven't started it yet.

I'm about a fifth of the way into the first book and it's starting to shape up nicely. The somewhat daunting challenge of overturning the heavily-engrained planet-wide religion on Safehold should make these pretty enjoyable.

I didn't mean Tanya Huff particularly, just the entire genre generally speaking, which IS mostly smut with a sloppy coat of "makin' it up as I go" fantasy.

Sounds like Carol Nelson Douglas' Delilah Street books. I got the first as a freebie and it had promise, so I picked up the second one, Brimstone Kiss. Boy, that was a mistake. The plot just went nowhere and I felt like I was wasting my time.

An Autumn War by Daniel Abraham. It's part of a 4 part epic fantasy series that is vaguely Asian in flavor. The series has been very enjoyable so far. Nota bene: the series does NOT go Summer, Autumn, Winter then Spring as one would think, knowing that Summer starts the cycle. The actual order is Summer, Winter, Autumn, Spring.

About halfway through Off Armageddon Reef, really enjoying it.

I think I'll end up liking Weber's Honor Harrington series a bit more, but that's mostly because I like well-executed spaceborn SF. I have some friends who preferred these books instead (Safehold series) and they were more into planet-bound, medieval settings than 'hard' SF.

I set down House of Chains because I got a new book. My parent's got me an Amazon gift certificate for my B-day, so I bought a good condition, used copy of Glen Cook's Red Iron Nights. It's a Garrett P.I. novel that's been out of print for a while. It's the one I'm missing in that series. New copies are listed for over $100 on e-bay. I wasn't going to buy it, but with the gift cert, I got a nice used copy for $40. It's probably not worth it, but I love that series, and it wasn't like I was spending my money, so it was worth it to me. I'm reading that now.

41f6tpRVssL._AA115_.jpg

I think what bothers me about the trilogy is that it feels half-baked - like the author had a storyboard of good ideas/episodes, but she was never able to connect them in meaningful ways, so you get really awkward transitions and events that seem to happen out of convenience, or forced, rather than occurring as a natural course. Like if she had let it percolate in her brain a while longer, or had stronger editing, it could have been a much stronger story.

I did enjoy it, but it was kind of frustrating.

Just finished -- The King Of Plagues by Jonathan Maberry...another DMS wham-bam thrillride!

On deck -- The Cold Dish by Craig Johnson

Finished Mistborn. Despite my cringing at some parts ("Vin paused" auuuugh), I overall enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading the next book in the trilogy. :)

Now halfway through Graveminder by Melissa Marr (delightfully creepy so far) and just started A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth.

I realize this is not "proper" use of the Now Reading thread, but I just wanted to take this opportunity to mention that at least four people at my job are now reading A Song of Ice and Fire for the first time. Three were not previously fantasy fans. :)