Now Reading...

I was hoping Glenn or anyone else would elaborate more about the Michael J. Sullivan fantasy trilogy that Glenn referenced beginning on page 100. Thoughts on that?

Also looking for feedback on The Broken Empire series by Mark Lawrence.

I've been a fantasy burn-out for the past few years and looking to get back into a fairly rich series...but not so rich that I wander completely confused half the time (Malazan-syndrome)...

I tend to like more character-driven tales, which is probably the reason why I'm one of the (seemingly) few that hung in there with Goodkind all the way through Confessor. Don't have much inclination to tackle his new stuff, though, cuz I think he's kinda lost it. Was a big fan of Jordan until about halfway thru book 8. Like most fans, I really enjoyed the scope of the tale until it came to a halt. Couldn't take it anymore. Still digging Martin, although he's a frustrating, lying fuck. Never made it past book 4 of Malazan cuz I was just so confused, yet underwhelmed.

In the past I've dug Brooks and Feist, until they just started bludgeoning us with never-ending product. Trying to remember other stuff enjoyed in the past. Even sci-fi stuff by David Weber, Peter Hamilton, and Simon Green's space-opera stuff used to keep me going.

In short, I haven't tackled anything new lately...would gladly welcome some recommendations, if you can make sense of my previous inclinations and mindset.

Thanks in advance!...and Rock On!

if this post is you asking for recomendations
then, for you specifically, i'd recoment the "Forgotten Relms" books or the "Dragon Lance" books

But even with all of this stuff, the book is still fairly slow and plodding. I only kept reading because I was *sure* it was going to get better. Kind of like the old joke about the optimistic child digging through a gift box filled with manure, thinking, "there MUST be a pony in here somewhere..."

thanks for the warning
kept thinking that when Rowling finnally made a non-Potter book that it would still be just-as-fast-paced as the Harry Potter books

guess she's just trying to hard
you know what i mean? i think maybe she's totally just trying hard-as-hell to cram in as much innopropriate-for-children-stuff as possible into her first non-Potter book (which was to be expected) and maybe that's what fucked up her pacing

if this post is you asking for recomendations
then, for you specifically, i'd recoment the "Forgotten Relms" books or the "Dragon Lance" books

Yep...I was...and thank you!

Already read quite a few of both of those series years ago. Might revisit those...thanks for the tip.

I was hoping Glenn or anyone else would elaborate more about the Michael J. Sullivan fantasy trilogy that Glenn referenced beginning on page 100. Thoughts on that?

Also looking for feedback on The Broken Empire series by Mark Lawrence.

I've been a fantasy burn-out for the past few years and looking to get back into a fairly rich series...but not so rich that I wander completely confused half the time (Malazan-syndrome)...

I tend to like more character-driven tales, which is probably the reason why I'm one of the (seemingly) few that hung in there with Goodkind all the way through Confessor. Don't have much inclination to tackle his new stuff, though, cuz I think he's kinda lost it. Was a big fan of Jordan until about halfway thru book 8. Like most fans, I really enjoyed the scope of the tale until it came to a halt. Couldn't take it anymore. Still digging Martin, although he's a frustrating, lying fuck. Never made it past book 4 of Malazan cuz I was just so confused, yet underwhelmed.

In the past I've dug Brooks and Feist, until they just started bludgeoning us with never-ending product. Trying to remember other stuff enjoyed in the past. Even sci-fi stuff by David Weber, Peter Hamilton, and Simon Green's space-opera stuff used to keep me going.

In short, I haven't tackled anything new lately...would gladly welcome some recommendations, if you can make sense of my previous inclinations and mindset.

Thanks in advance!...and Rock On!

Have you read anything from Guy Gavriel Kay or Ken Scholes? I'm pretty burned out on fantasy, but I love their books.

Little late to the dance on this one, but I'm currently 50 pages into Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. Thought I would see what all the fuss was about.

Thank you, Justin, for the tips on Kay and Scholes...will check them out.

51XwGEvNQTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-65,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Yep...I was...and thank you!

Already read quite a few of both of those series years ago. Might revisit those...thanks for the tip.

i believe they're still making these books

Drizzt Do'Urden will prolly never die

after Raistlin Majere died they kept doing books about the younger characters

Had a blast with Sanderson's Mistborn. Temporarily restored my faith in the fantasy genre and whet my appetite to begin rediscovering more...

Currently reading: Last Call For The Living by Peter Farris. New author and May 2012 debut from a Cobb County Georgia boy (thanks to Rakosh for the hook-up on this one!). A good ol' southern-fried crime drama that begins with a small-town bank heist. The jacket comparisons to McCarthy and Peckinpah are appropriate, I believe. Interesting characters, interesting violence, and a bit of southern angst to wrap your head around. Be prepared for discussions of road-kill, huntin', the warm fuzziness of prison life with the Aryan Brotherhood, and many other suvvern, family-friendly tidbits from the South.

As a note to the Atlanta locals, Peter Farris will be making his first officially organized Atlanta appearance at Eagle Eye in Decatur on Saturday. Just a tidbit for those that keep track of the local authors. Say hi to Rakosh while you're there...

Rock on!

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. It takes a hell of a writer to tie 19th century seafaring stories with 1930's Europe, the modern age, and future Huxley style dystopia. So far, it's the best book I've read in 2012.

A friend of mine did the illustrations. I love David Brin, but I'm waiting on paperback.

Last thing I read was:

51zW7PFPByL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

...which was pretty good. Zombies in Seattle in 1880. Steampunk, obviously. I used to read Cherie Priest's blog like six or eight years ago and it was roll-on-the-floor-hilarious at times, but the writing in the book wasn't quite as good as the blog. Still good, just nitpicky expectations.

I finally picked The Way Of Kings up again, too.

I wonder how the movie is going to turn out. I didn't think the book was as amazing as people made it out to be. Good, not great, and funny in places. I never figured why so many reviews refereed to it being the scariest book they had read. No clue what else these people are reading.

Just started:

bCqn8.jpg

And next in the queue:

gr96B.jpg