Now Van's open to a reunion

You guys got spoiled because Nevermore had a long peak.

See, I've noticed that every band has a creative peak, and it lasts about 5 years on average, 7 years at the longest. Then they lose it, for a variety of reasons. THey get fat heads, they get lazy, they lose their fire, drugs take over, or they burn out. Think of your favorites and ask yourselves, what was their best period and how long did it last?

Borknagar just put out one of their best albums this year. And thats that's not just my opinon, tons of reviews, almost all of them rating it extremly high. They've been around about as long as Nevermore. (Granted they didn't really become a "band" until Lars Nedland joined in 2000.)

I have no doubt "Nevermore" has the potential to make another masterpeice, if Warrel had a guitarist with some drive, who cared more about songwriting than making the latest cover of Guitar World. Someone who wanted to write a timeless record instead of instant gratification fast food music. Someone who only plays a solo because the song is calling for it, not because every song needs a solo in order to be "metal".

Ok, so you're a Warrel fan and not a Nevermore fan. I'm not being accusatory but just making the distinction. I think most of us would rate any of the top Nevermore albums above WD's solo record. It's a great album but As a unit Nevermore released better output.

I think the guitar work was the best part of Politics of Ectsacy.

I'm not sure that would be the general concencious, either. When the solo album came out, the feedback on this board was tremendously high. When The Obsidian Conspiracy came out, most of the hype was only coming from younger guitarist who were just discovering Jeff Loomis.

I think the ways Warrel was taking the band might work with newer blood if it goes that way. I just don't see Jeff as conducive to the evolution it was undertaking.

I think the ways Warrel was taking the band might work with newer blood if it goes that way. I just don't see Jeff as conducive to the evolution it was undertaking.

tumblr_m4eb704sGG1qb684yo3_250.gif

Indeed.

I think the guitar work was the best part of Politics of Ectsacy.

Featuring Pat O'Brien, of all people, now doing the open E thing to death in Cannibal Corpse.

That... would be a shame. Hate to think Jeff's fallen into a repetitive rut already. What he needs is a foil, a second guitarist who will push and challenge him. That's how every two-guitar band makes it work.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Jeff lurks here?

All he cares about is being famous. The way he whores himself out now is disgusting. Even his hair, used to be every video you saw of him he had the waves going. Now everytime you see him, it's freshly straightened because he wants to look pretty for the camrea. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been wearing make up, either.

All he cares about is being famous. The way he whores himself out now is disgusting. Even his hair, used to be every video you saw of him he had the waves going. Now everytime you see him, it's freshly straightened because he wants to look pretty for the camrea. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been wearing make up, either.

If he is concerned with his appearance it's news to me. Have you seen how bloated he's looked lately, especially in his face?

isn't the music business about whoring yourself out, just so you can pay some bills? You cannot blame Jeff for wanting to spread his wings in the business. I, for one, enjoy his solo work, as well as his contributions to Nevermore.

isn't the music business about whoring yourself out, just so you can pay some bills? You cannot blame Jeff for wanting to spread his wings in the business. I, for one, enjoy his solo work, as well as his contributions to Nevermore.

Many if not most good bands work full time jobs and fund their own recordings. I've said it before, these days quality recording is dirt cheap. If they love making music, they'll find a way to put it out.

Life gets in the way sometimes, John. I know how much I have to take care of with a full-time job, family and having some kind of social life. It'd be hard to fit in something that requires as much time as being in a band. I respect the dudes who can do it all very much.

Errrr... that's a lot of assumptions you're making there.

I, for one, would like it much more if a band said, "It's been good, but best to end on a high note", rather than releasing a few mediocre albums in their death throes.

Okay, but you're making an assumption as well, because how could you or any band know they'd release mediocre albums immediately following a really great record? They couldn't. So your argument works as far as it goes, which isn't very far. It's not like Nevermore has nothing left in the tank. They're still the same musicians they always have been. If the bickering and personal differences were put aside, they could make another genre defining record. I think we haven't even seen the best of Nevermore. Their next album, if it ever comes, will surely be a fucking monster because the band will make damn sure it's a monster.

Guys, Jeff is too good to be caged up, for lack of a better term. He's been the best heavy metal guitarist for over a decade, easily. It shouldn't be a surprise that he got famous and wants to branch out and do his own thing for a while. You don't have to like it, but it should not be surprising. Plus, no one said a thing about him in this regard after ZOP came out, or especially about WD when he released his solo record. It only came after the band broke up, and most of it was tossed on Jeff. Yes, I defend him a lot, but I do so because there's been a clear pattern on this board of hating on him since NM broke up. Everyone praised him for a decade and a half - his skills, his songwriting, etc - and then it suddenly became cool to say that he's dried up and can't play the guitar anymore. It's silly.

I don't think Jeff can't play the guitar...he's one of the best there is. I think his songwriting skills have dried up a bit, however.

No guitarist does an instrumental solo album because they want to connect with fans or because they have something to say. The only thing they have to say is, "Look at how awesome I am". Yes, Jeff is an awesome guitarist, but I think NM got to where they are as a group effort and with great songwriting. Just as I don't believe that Jeff is the reason NM broke up, neither do I believe that he had nothing to do with their later stuff falling a little flat.

Zero Order Phase is a really cool album and I have to give him that. I like his playing and I like his writing, but I believe that as of late his writing has become somewhat convoluted. When I hear him play I'm amazed at what he can do because it's very good even for neo-classical guitarists, but at the same time if I want to be amazed in that way, I'll listen to the master: Rachmaninov. Paganini has been done to death and Jeff is going down that road as of late. It's purely a personal taste thing, but I believe Jeff's efforts would be much, much more appreciated with NM.

If Jeff wants to do the solo awesome guitarist, that's fine. However, we've got hundreds of thousands of them already and they're all doing it in the style of Paganini and Vivaldi, and I just don't understand it. Paganini ok, even though he's overplayed, but Vivaldi composed really simple shit that is just basic scales done in a beautiful way. Jeff should be doing stuff like this if he wants to really set himself apart:

I think if you're going to be "the" neo-classical metal soloist, you should strive to set yourself apart because everything else has been overtasted and overdone. Ironically, I like his tone and playing better in ZOP than the last NM album. It's a bit more dynamic and varied. It makes me wonder if he wrote some of those songs for NM and instead saved them for his solo album. There are some songs on there that I find myself thinking, "If only Warrel could come in at this part...it would be phenomenal!"

Last edited by a moderator: