Now Van's open to a reunion

Yeah it's like that in most big cities, goth is goth. That'll never change, imo. What has changed, like you said, is that it has mainly returned TO the big cities where it belongs...not because they're somehow better but because it's just a more fitting situation and culture. Seeing goth shops in Pecanland Mall in Monroe, Louisiana just makes me do a giant facepalm. The darkest and most goth thing about neighboring cities Ruston (where I'm from) and Monroe is that it's the setting for True Blood...and that's it.

All my friends in Rome are either goths or metalheads, and the goth scene itself is ridiculous just due to the extent they take it. I love my friends but a lot of them are fucked up people. Actually, all but one are fucked up. Everything is done in excess, from drugs, to sex, to their lifestyle, etc. They do nothing but live in this uninhibited world of goths that's exacerbated by the fact it's in Rome. Romans are by themselves wild and unhinged people, but add the goth aspect to that and it's volatile. Their sex lives are things taken straight from Caligula's handbook. Everything is to the extreme and they never grow out of it; they've been doing this for 20 years and they'll keep doing it until they die. I'm all for doing your own thing but this is a whole different set of rules they're operating under compared to other people and even other goth scenes. Sure it's fun and exciting for a while, but it's scary when you realize that there are no lines drawn, no limitations, no sense of right and wrong. And of course, being goths they celebrate that because they feel that any sort of boundary whatsoever placed upon their lives is anathema.

I admire them for their tenacity and their free-spirited lifestyle, but I really wouldn't want to live that every day. Orgies, sex cults, hardcore S&M (the really serious and borderline fucked up shit)...everyone's into it and everyone does it, and they do it often. The amount of drugs in this scene looks like a trafficking cartel. I'm more unnerved by some of these people than I am mafia or n'drangheta or camorra. Naturally, not everyone in the scene participates, but they're the minority and everyone is connected somehow. I've seen scenes from all over but I've never seen a scene that takes it as seriously and to the extent as this one. I'm no goth and neither am I an expert, so I can only share my experience with it. It's a lot of fun for a while here but when you realize that everything is real, it's sobering. Consequently, nothing's shocking anymore to me. Friend X has another problem this week. His ex-gf who is now his roommate and still fuck buddy is now fucking his best friend AND his new female love interest, who is also fucking his best friend, and all this happened over the past few weeks of his best friend and he fucking his ex gf, his ex gf and her new gf fucking him simultaneously, and then of course all of them fucking together. On top of that, ALL of them fuck someone new at least once a week. These are the more normal, straight-forward relationships :lol:.

Well, i really think its just the part of the scene you are around because none of my friends are like that. lol! Drugs arent really a thing, sex isnt overblown, BDSM is celebrated but not to the point of it being in your face, people dont take themselves that seriously. If there are people who do take themselves very seriously, they usually get laughed at. Most of the back and forth is about fashion mostly and the music. No one i know is really that deviant. They have the core ideal of goth in mind. The mindset. Other than that and their fashion choices, they are pretty much just like everyone else. It sounds to me that your area has a problem that may not actually stem from goth in general. :p

Jeff with Slayer? LOL. I can't even imagine it. It's be like LeBron James signing a one year contract with a D League team.
Wut.

I am sure that one day he will get back with NM and when he does, we'll all be glad that this happened. A breath of fresh air can - and I believe will - give new life to Nevermore.

Speak for yourself. If that happens Nevermore will release another forgettable album that no one talks about while we all post about video games.

I'm talking about Flotsam & Jetsam -> Metallica. You do know Newsted was in a band before Metallica, yes?

And most of the bands, if not all, are respected in their genre. Maybe they're not shovelling in the cash, Metallica-style, but every metalhead can respect these bands, even if they don't like the genre.

yea. I thought you were talking about post-Metallica, my mistake.

If you measure musical success by profit, I question your definition of success.

Even if only a handful of people listened to it, musical success would be knowing you created good music. That's enough for any songwriter or musician who doesn't have his head up his ass. Certainly wouldn't be enough for Jeff Loomis.

You sound like one of those crazy fans who worshipped a band member. Then through the internet or by going to shows, you managed to make even the slightest amount of contact with this band member and since he consumed your thoughts for years - in your mind he was your best friend. Then you met him and he was friendly, after all you did pad his pay check by attending shows or buying cd's. Some how this translates into him becoming a REAL friend, so now through some avenue that you've gained access to communicate with him you ask him for a guest solo, he says no and bam, you feel insulted and now view him as a stuck up money hungry guitar hero because you aren't REAL friends and he wasn't willing to lend you his name to generate some itunes downloads or legitimacy to other trying to make it bands.

Why do I feel like this is what happened?

You sound like one of those crazy fans who worshipped a band member. Then through the internet or by going to shows, you managed to make even the slightest amount of contact with this band member and since he consumed your thoughts for years - in your mind he was your best friend. Then you met him and he was friendly, after all you did pad his pay check by attending shows or buying cd's. Some how this translates into him becoming a REAL friend, so now through some avenue that you've gained access to communicate with him you ask him for a guest solo, he says no and bam, you feel insulted and now view him as a stuck up money hungry guitar hero because you aren't REAL friends and he wasn't willing to lend you his name to generate some itunes downloads or legitimacy to other trying to make it bands.

Why do I feel like this is what happened?

Nah, I only ever loved Warrel. I was too busy idolizing Norwegians, Nevermore isn't one of my favorite bands.

I'm pretty sure Warrel thinks I'm an idiot, which is fine.

Agreed, Warrel's lyrics are criminally underrated. "We are the useless byproduct of soulless meat" is just genius.

My problem with NM was always Van's incessant double bassing. That's why it took almost 12 years for me to learn to like them after first seeing them. Watching that old video from 1992 made me wish Arrington stayed.

Nah, I only ever loved Warrel. I was too busy idolizing Norwegians, Nevermore isn't one of my favorite bands.

I'm pretty sure Warrel thinks I'm an idiot, which is fine.

I'd venture that most people who've come into contact with you think you're an idiot. Your post about goths was hilarious. "Man, I was just a kid, but what a scene...the booze, the women!" I DO recall you making a thread like one year ago about how you lost your virginity or didn't like sex or something fucked up like that. Plus, aren't you like 20 years old? You're still just a baby.

I'm still trying to figure out how we got onto goths. There's been plenty of thread drift, I contributed to it, but goth talk is way off subject.

I'm still trying to figure out how we got onto goths. There's been plenty of thread drift, I contributed to it, but goth talk is way off subject.

tumblr_m92wyvF4Gj1qhnijj.jpg

This forum was once notorious for veering into off topic territory. You must have missed the Fooding Years.

tumblr_m92wyvF4Gj1qhnijj.jpg

This forum was once notorious for veering into off topic territory. You must have missed the Fooding Years.

Heh I know all about thread drift. Like I said, I did a little myself by bringing up Slayer unprompted. I was just wondering where goth came from because I never saw it in a band led by two blonde guys, one of whom looks tattoo-free.

Although most goths I knew in LA were ink-free up to the late 90s. It's only the last 10-15 years people got stupid.

Tattoos have gone from edgy and daring to commonplace and horribly hackneyed. Tattoos used to be a statement of, "I don't care if this keeps me out of most jobs, I'm badass and I do whatever the fuck I want", now everyone and his brother has a tattoo, thinking it makes them original. These days, you're more original if you don't have tattoos. Same goes for weird or multicoloured hairdos. Since there's no longer any social consequences for having them, you don't look like an individualist don't-give-a-fucker anymore, but you're just a moron with a rainbow-coloured mohawk.

The Oatmeal agrees ^_^

I always thought tattoos were a sort of artwork you put on your body of something that is very important to you, whether it be a mantra, musical inspiration, previous life experience, etc. Yes, there are the tramp stamps and the YOLO tattoos for total fags, but I don't think even those are taken lightly. When you get a tattoo, you realize it's on your body for life and whether it was thought through or not, it's pretty ballsy in any case.

I always thought tattoos were a sort of artwork you put on your body of something that is very important to you, whether it be a mantra, musical inspiration, previous life experience, etc. Yes, there are the tramp stamps and the YOLO tattoos for total fags, but I don't think even those are taken lightly. When you get a tattoo, you realize it's on your body for life and whether it was thought through or not, it's pretty ballsy in any case.
In theory.

In reality, most YOLO and tramp stamp and heart and chinese symbol tattoos are worn by absolute morons who don't even know what a 'decision' is.