Now Van's open to a reunion

So it's not just me, then? I've been sick the past few days and I thought that maybe I'm just a little loopy, what with not getting Stormo's Uranus pic earlier....but if Kevin doesn't understand it either then I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Maybe it's lost in translation?

And another thing, exactly what's wrong with musicians collaborating on Youtube? I think it's fantastic and a helluva lot better than forcing yourself to be homeless while trying to start a band. What's more, I've heard better songs from "Youtube jockeys" than any of the songs in either of Loomis' albums.

Orsonb comes to mind.

To me it sounds like I'm bashing on Loomis but that's not what I intend. All I'm saying is what Traxan said, that he is at his best when he works with other people. Some people work better alone, some work better in a group environment. Loomis seems like the latter.

So it's not just me, then? I've been sick the past few days and I thought that maybe I'm just a little loopy, what with not getting Stormo's Uranus pic earlier....but if Kevin doesn't understand it either then I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Maybe it's lost in translation?
Well, we all know that Guru's elevator doesn't quite reach the top floor, so a satisfactory resolution as to what this means or where it came from is probably not likely to happen.

The middle text I get, and ouch to that.

Beleee dat.

I still will wait with some glimmer of hope for another NM album with some fresh blood where a mood like the darkness of DNB or the energy of POE sets the course of the recording. Instead of moments of aptitude and ability. *cough* wanking. Or something.

scallops.jpg

Bacon_Wrapped_Ingredients.JPG

.... mmm bacon.
Oh hai Lynn! :wave:

WTF people? I'm gone for a palsy 24 hours due to Borderlands 2, and you start a flame war without me? Goddamn you all.

Wow, Nightwish is still a band? Their music is TURRIBLE. Last I heard, they got that Annette chick who's really a pop singer and they came out with some godawful album, save for one song. I can't even believe enough people want to talk about them to even have a forum.
DW, stop having the same opinions as i do! Its just...WEIRD! :p
Ok, back to music: Jeff posted a new song.

http://www.metal-hammer.de/video-audio/premieren/article326719.ece

Personally I think it's Nevermore with bad singing. :
Uwauf. I found that so freaking dull, i just cant even. I was all "yawn..."

Funny Guy said:
None of you guys know each other
Thats funny! Youre a funny guy!

21do87t.gif

(hey Kev...remember that?)

If you want to get rich, you should've gone to Wall Street. If you want to get famous, you should film yourself fucking a celebrity and put the sex tape on TMZ. If you want to be both by playing music, you need to invent a time machine and go back to the 70's and 80's, where most of the music aside from the greats was fucking terrible, but due to lack of technology they threw money at you like crazy. It reminds me of the lower-class Republicans who consistently vote Republican even though their own party consistently works AGAINST them, all because they hope that one day they'll be wealthy one day...and of course, that day never comes. A little less idealism and a little more realism would go a long way in the music industry.

Art is not a profession, it's a way of life. Only the extremely lucky or extremely talented can live off of their craft. For the rest of us there are day jobs...and that's exactly how it should be.

I'd say Mastodon, Lamb of God and Shadows Fall are all making good livings and are earning the respect Nevermore SHOULD have gotten. So what happened?

The only commonality between the three is they all have highly regarded drummers. Brann, Chris and Jason are all highly respected, have gotten drum magazine covers and endorsements out their asses. And they are three of the best younger generation of drummers. Van? Oh don't get me started again.

Other than that you got 3 different styles, only Blythe comes close to WD in the frontman department (hell, Mastodon has no frontman, really) and none of them match Jeff for shred. So why are they doing so well?

The screamy death metal genre is lucrative among the kiddies is why. I LIKE things like melodic death and I admit that.

Because their sound is easier to market. Its "catchier" and appeals to Joe Shmoe a bit more than something like Nevermore. Its just the way things roll sometimes.

Ha, yeah, my cousin who likes Meshuggah (I have like 10) asked to hear what I had on my headphones and got an earful of Narcosynthesis once. He didn't like it at ALL.

Me findy Meshuggah to be insomnia cure, much likely Dreamy Theater was at Gigantour in 2005.

Because their sound is easier to market. Its "catchier" and appeals to Joe Shmoe a bit more than something like Nevermore. Its just the way things roll sometimes.

Yes and no. Shadows Fall, to me, is the weakest of the 3, an At the Gates clone with a vastly better drummer. LoG has, in the words of one friend, Phil Anselmo minus the heroin for a frontman. And Mastodon's music is intricate as all fucking hell. "The Last Baron" is just sick.

Besides, is Messhugah really more marketable than Nevermore?

I'd say Mastodon, Lamb of God and Shadows Fall are all making good livings and are earning the respect Nevermore SHOULD have gotten. So what happened?

The only commonality between the three is they all have highly regarded drummers. Brann, Chris and Jason are all highly respected, have gotten drum magazine covers and endorsements out their asses. And they are three of the best younger generation of drummers. Van? Oh don't get me started again.

Other than that you got 3 different styles, only Blythe comes close to WD in the frontman department (hell, Mastodon has no frontman, really) and none of them match Jeff for shred. So why are they doing so well?

They're doing so well because Mastodon write genre-bending, epic music that has album of the year written all over each one. LoG and SF were part of the big NWOAHM scene in the early to mid 2000s, and LoG pretty much took over as the new Pantera. Both bands have fantastic musicians and wrote radio and MTV-friendly heavy metal that went along with the current trend. Mastodon is the new Pink Floyd of heavy metal...there aren't many people writing interesting music in the metal mainstream like Mastodon.

There will always be success for bands like Mastodon; as I said, only the extremely lucky or extremely talented will find success. Mastodon are the latter because they started in the underground. They are basically this generation's Metallica, while LoG and SF followed the metalcore/NWOAHM scene. I don't think LoG are metalcore but they definitely didn't shy away from the trend.

At the same time, we should define what "success" is. I define success as being able to live off of your music, not how much money you can make on it. 99% of the time, in order to be financially successful, one must make lots of sacrifices both personal and creative.