np

80490.jpg

Spectral Voice.jpg
Mother of Graves.jpg

I listened to two recent Death/Doom albums, Spectral Voice - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing and Mother of Graves - Where the Shadows Adorn, and they helped clarify where I stand on the sub-genre. The former is the kind that is a plodding collection of slow, heavy riffs punctuated with some dissonant chords and occasional blasting that I find rather boring and the latter is the kind that has melodic riffs, usage of other instruments such as keyboards, and a beautiful, melancholic atmosphere that I enjoy.

Reactions: Serjeant Grumbles
View attachment 32452
View attachment 32453

I listened to two recent Death/Doom albums, Spectral Voice - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing and Mother of Graves - Where the Shadows Adorn, and they helped clarify where I stand on the sub-genre. The former is the kind that is a plodding collection of slow, heavy riffs punctuated with some dissonant chords and occasional blasting that I find rather boring and the latter is the kind that has melodic riffs, usage of other instruments such as keyboards, and a beautiful, melancholic atmosphere that I enjoy.

Mother of Graves are an Indianapolis band, so it gives me pride to see something like that coming from the local music scene here. I tend more towards melancholic atmosphere in death-doom metal, but I also like when it's crushing and ominous, so the former album is one I should check out.

a0042115632_65

It's too bad I didn't get to see this band opening for Candlemass back in April, as she had to drop out.