Number of strings on basses

Six string basses can go lower and higher than a four string bass. The bassist on MORNINGRISE used a six string, and was thus able to play lower notes on songs. When Mendez plays Advent live, he has to play a bunch of notes up an octave. And I don't know why people would dislike the fact that someone uses a six string instead of a four string bass, unless it's NOT KVLT or something.

6-string basses are harder to play than 4 strings, as it's essentially like playing another normal guitar. Usually only the more talented or experimental of bassists use the 6-strings because you can pull off some whacky sounds with them you can't get with the 4's.

It can't be that much harder, I mean, at worst you just ignore the other 2 strings and pretend it's the same as a 4 string. Otherwise, if a 6-string is what DeFarfalla used on Morningrise to achieve some of those cool-ass things he did, then it must be worth it! :)

I never liked John Myung's bass playing, talented or no.

Moonlapse said:
6-string basses are harder to play than 4 strings, as it's essentially like playing another normal guitar. Usually only the more talented or experimental of bassists use the 6-strings because you can pull off some whacky sounds with them you can't get with the 4's.

I disagree. Just because you have 2 strings less on a conventional bass than what you have on a 6-string doesn't make you a better player. If you can't play the four strings you have, what makes you think you'll be able to play six strings better?

Also, the tuning system on a 6-string bass is different than what's on a standard guitar, unless you're going for a contrabass guitar effect. The tuning on a 6-string bass (if we're talking about standard concert pitch) is
B, E, A, D, G, C. The additional low B-string, also found on 5-string basses, only provides an additional 5 notes which are felt more than they're heard. The additional C-string is actually tuned up a minor second higher (tuned a fourth higher than it's neigboring string, rather than a major third as you'd find on a guitar with standard tuning) than a regular 6-string guitar and, depending on how many frets your 6-string bass has, only provides about 4 to 6 extra notes.

Let's also not forget the stretch of the hands that you're going through when switching from a 4-string to a 6-string. There's more material (wood) for the neck to support those extra strings and the spacing of the strings is often narrower than what you'd find on a standard 4 or even 5. Most bassists don't like the narrow spacing on a 5 and 6 string bass and stick with the 4. (I know that I prefer using 5-string basses with wide necks and wide string spacing. Sadly, this is considered a custom option and usually increases the cost of the bass.)

As to wacky and experimental bass players, try some Michael Manring as an example of what can be done to a 4-string bass.

The irony of most 6-string bass players is that they usually stick to the four middle strings! :err:

ya pretty much covered it...
yeah, i say, if you can't play 4 strings, why play 5 or six
now what some people do...
is get a 5 string tenor bass
tuned to
e a d g c
because a tenor bass is tuned to
a d g c
used by stanley clarke and other such people...
now what is really crazy
are 7 string and 9 string basses
and lets not even get into sticks(8-12 string tapping instruments)

Torenstain said:
Why does some bands (f ex. Dream Theater) use 6 strnig bass and Opeth 4 string? What difference does it make? and why doesn't some people like it?
To answer your question:

6 string basses are generally tuned B E A D G C; giving you added lower and higher range from a standard bass guitar. Sometimes they are tuned different though.

TwilightSymphony said:
As to wacky and experimental bass players, try some Michael Manring as an example of what can be done to a 4-string bass.

I saw Michael Manring play acouple of weeks ago, it was the first time I heard him play and my mouth was like this :OMG: the whole time! That Hyperbass of his is on a level of its own, truley something to see if you have the chance.

9 strings are the way forward:

jeanbass.jpg