nyc

inkybmistro

self-surgeon
Jul 14, 2004
MI
inkybmistro.co.nr
so dudes,
i'm on the brink of making a move, and at the moment, i'm fairly torn between nyc and portland...

there's SO much already going on in nyc that i'm all about, and i feel i have much to contribute!

of course, i'm increasingly hearing that a rapidly escalating cost of living is driving artists further from the significant hubs, and that some are beginning to relocate outside the city, and even form new communities elsewhere. (including a few bpc's?)

this is such a messed up bummer, because one of nyc's great draws is its cultural richness - so when the place itself becomes an impossible situation for the people creating that richness, what then?
though maybe this would be positive in the bigger picture...
i find myself wondering what would happen if some major chunk of the downtown scene were to transplant itself? teehee

i had the chance to hang out in portland / olympia / seattle world for a while recently, and my mind was pretty well blown on sundry fronts - it's paridisical in many ways!
but i haven't come in contact with anything quite like the nyc downtown music scene there... or anywhere else for that matter!
however, the possibilities for creating something are definitely serious.

FuSoYa, i recall you've mentioned here and there that you think of ending up elsewhere, and that the wc is a possibility...

are you still feelin' it?
how is doing your thing in the city going?
how much longer do you foresee nyc being home to kd?
anything else you nyc peeps would tell a sprat like me?

Short answer is that it's completely unaffordable for me, and that yeah, I and (I believe) our other band members would love to move to the West Coast! I haven't made any moves in that direction yet because I'm booked up pretty solid for the next year, Maybe after that though, I really don't know? Generally I think lots of poorer artist types are having to move out of the city or to the outer boroughs. It's still a really fun place, but I honestly don't have any time or dough to enjoy the city to its fullest.