O/T: Any Good Books Out Lately??

Originally posted by AjDeath
You all probably don't read this but the new Robert Jordan is coming out in November, I really don't think I can wait that fuckin long!
that's the wheel of time series you're taking about right? i know a couple people who have raved about it to me. if there weren't so many books in the series already i might consider it, but i just don't read fast enough or often enough to read that many books in a reasonable amount of time. and once i get invloved in a series and like it i can't just leave it open. i have to read any and all books in the series. that's just too much for me.

Just read The Eye Of The World, and if you don't like it, don't read the series, I doubt that you won't like it though, as for not having enough time to read, you have all the time in the world, just read at your own pace, but I gurantee that you will find time to read these books.

Also, anything by HP Lovecraft is pure genius.

Black House was pretty good. The fourth installment in The Dark Tower was horrible. At least getting through it was. It was a tragedy, love story, blah, blah ,blah...but I'm still pissed at Stephen for that one. Why did the last installment for LB series piss you off Brat? B/C David bought it? Of all 20-25 books I have read in the last couple years Dune was fuckin' awesome. Go Red Wings.

Yes, I just fininished Melville's masterwork. Pretty good, pretty neat. Pretty dense. Did anyone else who read that get the impression that Ishmael & Queegeeg were more than just sailors? Semen, I mean. And I do mean semen. The two were sleeping and cuddling together by the end of chapter 2!

Now I have moved on to "We were Soldiers Once, and Young"---the basis for the movie. This is some intense shit. Incredible what people go through in war. Give thanx to a vet this weekend!

Time to :puke: :puke: :puke:

Okay, I am too lazy to go through and find who suggested Stephanie Plum, but whoever it was, THANK YOU!! I kicked my own ass this week in that last Friday I finished One for the Money, and now I'm about to start Seven Up, that's six books in less than a week, my previous record was three. These books rule. I don't know which character cracks me up more, I think I'm leaning towards Grandma, but if I had Morelli chasing after me, I wouldn't be nearly as stubborn as she is. :D And the part where she says "Anthrax is too good for Joyce Barnhardt" - I think she means the disease. :lol:

Just finished Dragonlance Chronicles vol. I, semi-famous geek D&D novel by Wickman & Weis. I read it when I was about 15 in the mid-to-late-80s...got all nostalgic (stupid new covers!:mad: ) and read it again. Hot Damn! It's great all over again!

*:cry: glances around embarrased :cry:*

Mmmm...dragons and swords....

Try Chuck Palahniuk. He's the author who wrote Fight Club. Choke is his most recent work and is pretty entertaining. Survivor's pretty cool too. Stay away from Invisible Monsters. Boring.

The Philip K. Dick Reader is great. It's got Minority Report in it as well as 20 or 30 other short stories. "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" is better than it's movie adaptation, Blade Runner.

The U.S. Army Survival Manual is great factual stuff.

Napalm and Silly Putty by George Carlin.

I ahven't read Choke yet, but I've noticed Palahniuk's first three books start at the end of the story and then they go back and tell you how they got there. His new book Lullaby is do out this year and is his first foray into horror.

I agree with you about Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. If you like Phillip K. Dick, try William Gibson's Nueromancer. He coined the phrase "cyberspace" and wrote about virtual reality and the internet before either actually exsisted....

j

(I thought Invisible Monsters was a pretty good read....)