O/T Deliverance

one man stands

Twins Still In It
Feb 14, 2002
Albert Lea, MN
Visit site
Anyone have opinions on this movie. I had always heard alot about it, and finally for the hell of it rented it last night. I must say it was not what I was expecting, and really thought it was slow moving. Maybe I am spoiled by todays movies, but I just could not get into it. I just want to hear what other people have to say about it if they have seen it. Thanks!

It is what it is. It's a realistic look at some parts of Appalachia. No one encourages you to watch it for Burt's incredible acting :) It is a movie that is used in many Cultural Geography, Regional Political Science, and Sociology courses because it isn't too far off from the reality. I thought everyone had seen it. It is always on one of the "superstations" (wgn, wtbs, wwor)

It was just one of those movies I had heard alot about and never saw. Then I saw that commercial for I think Toyota? with the guys in the woods and they hear dueling banjos and run. Thats what Made me remember I wanted to watch it. Well like I said I just could not get into it, but it did have some interesting parts.

It's a good movie. I didn't see the whole thing until I found it for about $10. So I bought it. I remember hearing about the "Make 'im SQUEEEEL!" scene when I was too young to watch it.
I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

BTW- Listen to Primus- "My Name Is Mud" and hear the quote from the movie:
"Where you goin', city-boy?"

four city-slicks trying to get away from their everyday city routines, seek escape in canoe riding down the river - all the while being chased by homosexual rednecks...

I give it 7/10 too.

The banjo duel is a rent-worthy moment in this movie!

Pace was a bit different back in the 70's and early 80s for movies. A lot of movies from that era are highly regarded but when you watch them now it hard to understand the hype. Bullet and French Connection are regarded as classics but watching them now it seems as though they move at a snails pace. I guess thats all thanks to Mtv and Terminator and the like.

Originally posted by Cincy Vigilante
Pace was a bit different back in the 70's and early 80s for movies. A lot of movies from that era are highly regarded but when you watch them now it hard to understand the hype. Bullet and French Connection are regarded as classics but watching them now it seems as though they move at a snails pace. I guess thats all thanks to Mtv and Terminator and the like.

Good call. You'd be hard pressed to find a better movie than the Deer Hunter, but it sure move's slowly.

:D

God! What a movie! I'll never forget, the first time I actually saw any of that movie(I was seven), I walked into a room and the damm "Squeal like a pig" scene was on!

How about the banjo solo that's playing when Jon Voight jumps off the cliff.

Intense, and strange movie. But I've always kinda liked it.

Cheerz!

AugDawg

Originally posted by TD
Taxi Driver is pretty bad-ass. It doesn't effect me the same way Deer Hunter does though, so I always give the nod to Deer Hunter. Raging Bull is of course better than both of them.

I love all three of them, but I'm sort of an outside loner type myself(not that outside though), and I sort of identify with Taxi Driver more. No, I'm far from hitting the boiling point. :) But my top three movies of all time are 1)Taxi Driver 2)Raging Bull 3)The Deer Hunter. Basicaly The Deer Hunter doesn't have Scorcese or Schrader, so that's why it's lower for me. But I love long movies like these.

Originally posted by SlaughterofSoul
I love all three of them, but I'm sort of an outside loner type myself(not that outside though), and I sort of identify with Taxi Driver more. No, I'm far from hitting the boiling point. :) But my top three movies of all time are 1)Taxi Driver 2)Raging Bull 3)The Deer Hunter. Basicaly The Deer Hunter doesn't have Scorcese or Schrader, so that's why it's lower for me. But I love long movies like these.

That's pretty uncanny that I mentioned your 3 favorite movies! Steve M. have you seen any of these????? I know you hate my recomendations, but now I've got backing!
My all time 3 would probably be closer to
1) The Empire Strikes Back
2) The Wizard of Oz
3) Raging Bull or Gadfather II tie
The first two just take me to a magical place, the other ones satisfy my twisted side. It sounds cheesy to like Wizard prolly, but when you think about how amazing a movie that is for when it was made, and the fact that I still feel like a kid when I watch - it's just awesome. And Empire, even though I know every in and out, still makes me nervous and anxious and excitable.

Originally posted by TD
That's pretty uncanny that I mentioned your 3 favorite movies! Steve M. have you seen any of these????? I know you hate my recomendations, but now I've got backing!
My all time 3 would probably be closer to
1) The Empire Strikes Back
2) The Wizard of Oz
3) Raging Bull or Gadfather II tie
The first two just take me to a magical place, the other ones satisfy my twisted side. It sounds cheesy to like Wizard prolly, but when you think about how amazing a movie that is for when it was made, and the fact that I still feel like a kid when I watch - it's just awesome. And Empire, even though I know every in and out, still makes me nervous and anxious and excitable.

Nice!

AugDawgs favorite movies(in no particular order)

1-The Shawshank Redemption

2-Friday the 13th part 2

3-Nightmare on Elm Street

4-Throw Mama from the train

Cheerz!

AugDawg