O/T: Raiders Helmet Saves Life

thraxx

You'll Be in Hell With ME
Nov 23, 2002
www.anthrax.com
061206helmet2.jpg
spacer.gif

Kathleen Brandon, R.N., and Twyla Nusser, R.N., pose for a photo with a donated Oakland Raiders helmet used in a life-saving medical procedure.
Brian Proctor The Oakland Raiders donated a football helmet to Alameda County Medical Center in order to save a 61-year-old woman's life. For years, the Alameda hospital has used a football helmet as a life-saving device for patients who suffer from esophagus damage and liver disease.
The woman was in critical condition when she arrived in Alameda County Medical Center's intensive care unit. The patient was bleeding internally from her esophagus, which is the organ that connects the stomach to the mouth. According to the I.C.U.'s medical staff, a football helmet was the needed to save the patient's life.
The situation became a rare emergency last Friday when two nurses realized that the hospitals' original helmet was missing.
"We were about to use the helmet to try to save her, but we couldn't' find it," said Kathleen Brandon, R.N. "It must have been accidentally thrown away. We had to find another helmet. It was a matter of life and death."
Intensive Care Unit Director Dr. Colin Feeney said that a surgical tube is taped to the facemask, creating the desired specifications for treatment. The facemask of the football helmet allows for a practitioner to properly funnel the tube down the patient's mouth and put the precise amount of traction on the esophagus to stop the bleeding. Feeney claims that without a correctly sized helmet, the patient could not be properly treated and would likely bleed to death.
Brandon called The Oakland Raiders, and a helmet was rushed to the hospital. Brandon also called a local helmet manufacturing company, but was turned down.
"This is an all or nothing deal," said Brandon. "It was a real life-saving emergency. We thank the team for its kindness."
The patient is now recovering at Alameda County Medical Center.

Jesus...
Is this a joke?
...and if not, who was the local manufacturer? The Nazi Helmet Company?

DumbAss said:
Jesus...
Is this a joke?
...and if not, who was the local manufacturer? The Nazi Helmet Company?

ah it was probably just some dude they phoned who is as cynical as us lot........ i mean imagine taking a phone call from a Dr. that claims he needs a football helmet to save someones life? sounds like bullshit instantly.......these doctors can only do the operation if theres a guard on the helmet? who is this? get off my phone !

That's the first time a Raider helmet has been useful in many years. Lord knows the players wearing them haven't been worth shit lately!