Raiders fire Turner after 4-12 season

thraxx

You'll Be in Hell With ME
Nov 23, 2002
www.anthrax.com
I know you don't care but!!!!!!!

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) - The Oakland Raiders fired coach Norv Turner on Tuesday following consecutive losing seasons in which the team managed only one victory in its division.

The 53-year-old Turner, who had a year remaining on his contract worth about $1.75 million, had known his job was in jeopardy for the last two months after struggling to get the most out of star receiver Randy Moss and an offense that also included quarterback Kerry Collins, receiver Jerry Porter and running back LaMont Jordan.
Oakland lost its final six games and eight of nine to finish 4-12 and with one fewer victory than Turner produced in his first season a year ago. The Raiders have strung together three straight losing seasons for the first time since Al Davis came aboard in 1963 to coach and eventually own the team. Davis is suddenly left looking for his third head coach in five years. He ousted Bill Callahan following the 2003 season, a year removed from the Raiders' embarrassing 48-21 Super Bowl loss to Tampa Bay. Turner was not Davis' top choice to replace Callahan, but Dallas offensive coordinator Sean Payton apparently got offered the job then changed his mind and stayed with the Cowboys.

Saw it coming...I wonder who the new puppet will be???
With Al Davis pulling the strings you probably won't get a really good coach..

If I had to guess right now I'd say you'll more than likely end up with
Jim Haslett or Dom Capers

All I care about are my Bears and Colts. Good luck to the both of them in the playoffs. I still can't believe the Vikings fired Tice. Oh wait I can because I don't care about the Vikings.

Mike Martz??? Maybe go get Super Mario Williams in the draft to help out the D. OR get another coach and get Vince Young(if he comes out) with the first round pick. Davis loves speed and Young has speed.

T_man357 said:
Saw it coming...I wonder who the new puppet will be???
With Al Davis pulling the strings you probably won't get a really good coach..

John Madden, Tom Flores, Art Shell, John Gruden(i don't like him, but he does get the job done). All these coaches were hired by Davis. So it is a little unjust to say that Davis cant hire good coaches.

H8Red said:
Mike Martz??? Maybe go get Super Mario Williams in the draft to help out the D. OR get another coach and get Vince Young(if he comes out) with the first round pick. Davis loves speed and Young has speed.

1) Young's not coming out
2) they don't need a QB (and I'm not talking about Collins being the answer, either)

They need to continue improving their D, plain & simple.

H8Red said:
John Madden, Tom Flores, Art Shell, John Gruden(i don't like him, but he does get the job done). All these coaches were hired by Davis. So it is a little unjust to say that Davis cant hire good coaches.
Living in the past is cute....But what's he done for you lately?? If you can't face the fact the Al Davis is a factor in good coaches not coming to Oakland you're just not being very realistic!! Hell, Sean Payton opted to stay as Dallas Defensive Coodinator than take the Raider head coaching job!!! That says something....

And saying Gruden is "GOOD" winning a Super Bowl with Dungy's team??? I don't know...
Ask Jerry Porter his opinion of Gruden...It's actually pretty funny.

I find in times of NFL duress, I pop in my madden game, mess with the AI settings, and DOMINATE the teams I dont like with my fave team. All the hispanics in my town wear Raiders stuff, and none of them are fans. Sad.

metal_thrashing_kansan said:
I find in times of NFL duress, I pop in my madden game, mess with the AI settings, and DOMINATE the teams I dont like with my fave team.
That's a pretty cool way to make yourself feel better!!!:D
If The Pats get bounced out of the playoffs...I might try that..

jpike said:
THE NY GIANTS WILL LOSE THIS SUNDAY!!!
Weekend Winners.....
Just for fun and obviously opinion as I can't predict the future....Or can I :D

Saturday - Redskins (Too much Defense for Chris Simms)

Patriots (8pm Saturday night highs supposed to be in the teens
we're expecting serious snow on Fri...Too much for The Jags!!
oh yeah, And I think we're defending Super Bowl Champs or
something:D )

Sunday - Panthers (The Panthers have a better road record than home this year....Combine that with the fact that Eli Manning is not quite ready for Primetime and if you stop Tiki Barber you stop The Giants.....The Panthers ferocious "D" come up BIG)

Steelers (The Steelers are just playing better football...And after this win will go to Indy next week...Can't wait for that one!!! Have a feeling it will be more competitive this time around.)

Quick, name the Bucs 2 o-tackles? Gruden has Simms winning behind center. That has to show you that Gruden is a good coach. This is now two franchises he has helped turned around.(i don't believe you can still use 'its Dungys team still'). Also, who cares what one player says. You can probably find one guy who says he hated playing for Lombardi, does that make Lombardi a bad coach?

As for Payton wanting to stay with Dallas and be O-Cord, who cares. He may have realized that he wasn't goign to get the job and decided to take the money Jerry Jones was offering. Does the fact Al Davis is the owner make a difference, sure. Does it mean that a good coach can't be picked, no. ALso, please let it be noted that Davis tends to pick coordinators with no previous head coaching expierence. So he is gambling, but it has worked fantastic in the past.

H8Red said:
Quick, name the Bucs 2 o-tackles? Gruden has Simms winning behind center. That has to show you that Gruden is a good coach. This is now two franchises he has helped turned around.(i don't believe you can still use 'its Dungys team still'). Also, who cares what one player says. You can probably find one guy who says he hated playing for Lombardi, does that make Lombardi a bad coach?

As for Payton wanting to stay with Dallas and be O-Cord, who cares. He may have realized that he wasn't goign to get the job and decided to take the money Jerry Jones was offering. Does the fact Al Davis is the owner make a difference, sure. Does it mean that a good coach can't be picked, no. ALso, please let it be noted that Davis tends to pick coordinators with no previous head coaching expierence. So he is gambling, but it has worked fantastic in the past.
1st off man, I wasn't saying that Gruden is "Jim Mora Sr"...Obviously that's not the case...Al Davis has been slowly killing The Raiders organization for years now...And proof of it this year is ALL the needs they have going into this off season besides Head coach.....This team is old in every spot on the team!!
Offense/ Defense/ Special Teams...Face it, It's time to get someone to make the decisions for this team that isn't Al Davis....That is if you want to win..

Oh and like it or not...Those were Dungy's Bucs in the Super Bowl.....

And I'm not an Oakland fan...A Pats fan who doesn't care if The Raiders ever win another game...

You're obviously a Gruden fan...And I'm not making fun of him or anything, But lets face it...He's no Belichick!

Personally I thought they either should've either posponed the game or at least play it at a neutral site like the did the Charger game a couple years ago.

DarbysDad said:
Personally I thought they either should've either posponed the game or at least play it at a neutral site like the did the Charger game a couple years ago.
I agree...But the media frenzy that always surrounds the N.Y. Teams wouldn't have been at a neutral site....The Commisioner really screwed The Saints and they have a right to be pissed!