Oakland Raiders....Too sad for words!!!

T_man357

Locked & Loaded
Jan 7, 2004
U.S.A.
web.archive.org
One USC Assistant coach turns them down so the tunnel visioned visionary Al Davis just moves further down the USC assistant coaches bench...If Kiffin said no I wonder if the USC Waterboy was a viable option??:lol:

Raiders hire USC assistant Kiffin as head coach

NFL.com wire reports
http://www.nfl.com/emailafriend/ind...iders hire USC assistant Kiffin as head coach

ALAMEDA, Calif. (Jan. 23, 2007) -- Al Davis has long believed youth is no obstacle to coaching greatness. After all, he was just 33 1/2 years old when he took charge of the Oakland Raiders back in 1963.
And that was more than 12 years before the owner's new choice to lead the Raiders was even born.
Lane Kiffin, Southern California's 31-year-old offensive coordinator, became the NFL's youngest head coach in decades when he accepted Davis' offer to revive the Raiders on Monday night.
Kiffin, the son of Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, earned the job with a strong interview Monday after the Raiders failed to reach a deal last week with 32-year-old Steve Sarkisian, Kiffin's fellow assistant to Pete Carroll at USC.
Davis quickly moved to land another up-and-coming offensive mind with sterling college credentials, but just one season of NFL experience -- as a defensive quality control coach with Jacksonville in 2000.
At 31 years, 8 months, Kiffin is even younger than Harland Svare, who took over the Los Angeles Rams in 1962 at 31 years, 11 months. Svare is listed by the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Web site as the youngest coach in the modern era, though younger coaches -- including George Halas -- led teams during the league's founding years.
But Davis has ample reason to trust in young minds: Jon Gruden, Mike Shanahan and John Madden all succeeded as Raiders head coaches in their 30s - as did Davis. Kiffin is 14 months younger than Madden was when the Hall of Fame coach took over the Raiders in 1969.
Kiffin, a former Fresno State quarterback, is younger than at least nine players who finished the season with Oakland during its NFL-worst 2-14 campaign, including defensive tackle Warren Sapp, fullback Zack Crockett and receiver Alvis Whitted.
Coach Art Shell was fired after the season, and Davis apparently was determined to hire another young offensive-minded coach in the mold of Gruden, his last successful hire. Davis has fired three coaches in the last four years: Bill Callahan, Norv Turner and Shell, whose return to the Raiders lasted just one year.
Kiffin had been at USC for six years, ascending from a job as tight ends coach to three jobs last season as offensive coordinator, receivers coach and recruiting coordinator. While former Raiders assistant Sarkisian coached from the sideline with Carroll last season, Kiffin called the plays from the press box for the Rose Bowl champion Trojans.
Sarkisian had two strong interviews with the Raiders last week, but decided to stay at USC on Friday night. Both claimed Sarkisian never was offered the job, though numerous media reports said Sarkisian turned the club down.
Davis first interviewed Kiffin on Thursday - apparently to explore the possibility of hiring Kiffin as the club's offensive coordinator. Kiffin returned to the Bay Area on Sunday for a second interview, this time to discuss becoming the Raiders' head coach.
Kiffin also was a finalist for the top job at the University of Minnesota earlier in the offseason.
Former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel, San Diego Chargers receivers coach James Lofton and Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan also interviewed for the job.
The Raiders seem likely to invite Ryan to stay with the club after the coach helmed one of the NFL's best defenses last season. Oakland has serious personnel problems with one of the NFL's worst offenses - but the club also has the No. 1 pick in the upcoming draft.
Davis' club will get a fresh start after the worst season in his 44 years with the franchise. Kiffin, the former coordinator of USC's high-octane passing game, will be expected to revive an aerial attack that floundered despite the presence of discontented receivers Randy Moss and Jerry Porter and running back LaMont Jordan.
Oakland's offense scored just 168 points last season -- the fifth-fewest in a 16-game season in NFL history. The Raiders were sacked a league-worst 72 times and finished last in most major offensive categories despite changing offensive coordinators from Tom Walsh to John Shoop during the season.

So your Pats lose for the first time in the AFC Title game and now your already bashing the Raiders(again).....Go lick your wounds TMAN the Patroits LOST.........So whats the problem with Kiffin?

Dude the post has nothing to do with the Pats losing to a team that played better....It's got everything to do with a member of USC's coaching staff already turned them down..He was obviously Al's first choice so now he moves a little further down the same teams bench instead of exploring other options...I don't know maybe other teams...It should be embarrassing to Kiffin knowing that if Sarkisian said yes none of this would matter and in Davis's eyes he was the 2nd best assistant at USC. And I'd be embarrassed if I was a Raider fan just because they can't seem to get a decent guy with any type of NFL experience!! No one with any type of talent or experience head coaching in the NFL wants to be associated with the team.

This has nothing to do with The Patriots....It doesn't even have anything to do with The Raiders team...It has everything to do with their ownership and front office being shit!!! And as long as Al Davis continues to look for puppets as head coaches the team & fans unfortunately will suffer,

I'm a Pats fan, But when they do stupid shit I have no problem admiting it (Like letting Vinatieri go for one...And lets see how they handle Assante Samuels contract this year)

So your Pats lose for the first time in the AFC Title game and now your already bashing the Raiders(again).....Go lick your wounds TMAN the Patroits LOST.........So whats the problem with Kiffin?

Lane's father.....

Monte Kiffin
Title: Defensive Coordinator
NFL Experience: 24
Years with Buccaneers: 11

Kiffin_Monte.jpg

Long considered the NFL’s best defensive coordinator and famed architect of the ‘Tampa Cover 2,’ Monte Kiffin enters his 24th season in the NFL and 11th with the Buccaneers in 2006. He is currently the longest tenured defensive coordinator in the NFL.

I don't think it's sad they got him. Plus, I think it is even funnier as from what I heard, Sarkisian kept on telling Davis that he would want Kiffin as his offensive co-ordiantor if he took the job because..... Well as soon as Sarkisian bails out, Davis snags his golden boy. I am not saying he WILL turn around the Raiders offensive unit, as it is a huge task, but still think don't think its a bad move. Time will tell.

I still wanted Ryan in there as head coach. Last time a defensive coach got the job for the Raiders, was a player loved John Madden, and he did do a great job.

So what!!! Mike Shula's father is Hall Of Fame Coach Don Shula How did that help him in his coaching career (I'll help you out...It didn't!!)

Jim Mora jr. his father Jim Mora before he redefined the word "Playoffs" turned the N.O. Saints team around and led them to an NFC West Championship....Look at how well Jr. has done..

Hell the Raiders tried to bring in Brian Schottenheimer for an interview and he turned them down...It's a good thing or else you'd be using Marty as a positive example.:puke:

And there's other examples of this joke you posted...Thraxx...I've never seen anyone like you!! I don't give a fuck that their your team!! Not every move they make is a good move just because their "My Team"..Open your fucking eyes!! Their front office is shit!! The game has passed most of them by!! This move was done out of desperation because Al Davis could not get anyone else..
Why would you even try to make this look like a good move (Especially by involving the guys father....What are you 7y/o?) Try taking off your "Everything Raiders Is Rosy" glasses and see things for what they are!!:erk:

P.S. After re reading this it sounds a little more intense and asshole like then I intended (Don't get me wrong I'm still an asshole:) ) But instead of editing and changing it around In figured I'd just post you this p.s. and tell you though it reads rough, It's just more of the usual harrassment you've become accustomed to reading from me Thraxxy....And nothing meant to bum you out or get you all pissed off....It's just football talk..

T

P.S.S. You've been a little to decent in not ripping me apart about The Pats "Choking" in the Championship Game....Cut loose!! I'm a big boy and I can take it!:cry: :erk: :cry:

Lane's father.....

Monte Kiffin
Title: Defensive Coordinator
NFL Experience: 24
Years with Buccaneers: 11

Kiffin_Monte.jpg

Long considered the NFL’s best defensive coordinator and famed architect of the ‘Tampa Cover 2,’ Monte Kiffin enters his 24th season in the NFL and 11th with the Buccaneers in 2006. He is currently the longest tenured defensive coordinator in the NFL.

Jim Rome yesterday was really on the money about Al Davis now being the Granpa' you want to hide when you have guests, to avoid problems.

sometimes you have to let go, and the Raiders won't be succesfull until Al Davis passes it on or dies,sorry to say it but it's just the thruth, i do hope the Raiders get competitive this season, i do miss close games against them in the division.

Jim Rome yesterday was really on the money about Al Davis now being the Granpa' you want to hide when you have guests, to avoid problems.

sometimes you have to let go, and the Raiders won't be succesfull until Al Davis passes it on or dies,sorry to say it but it's just the thruth, i do hope the Raiders get competitive this season, i do miss close games against them in the division.

I here you. Al needs to go and the Raiders need an O-line.

The Raiders are the most dysfunctional franchise in all of professional sports. They're a laughingstock. This hire does nothing to dispel that notion.

COMMITMENT TO EXCREMENT.

The Raiders are the most dysfunctional franchise in all of professional sports. They're a laughingstock. This hire does nothing to dispel that notion.

COMMITMENT TO EXCREMENT.
:zombie:
Wow thats fucking Original........:zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

Almost as original as those jump suits Senator Palpatine...errr...Al Davis still wears. Most Raider fans realize their team totally sucks. Davis is still in denial. I hope it continues. :headbang:

Since they hired the 31-year-old Lane Kiffin as their newest head coach this past Monday, the Oakland Raiders have dealt with a firestorm of criticism. The Raiders compiled the league's worst record in 2006, finishing 2-14, which put them at the wrong end of numerous jokes.

The earlier firing of former head coach Art Shell, who clearly couldn't adjust to the current NFL, was a given. After that, though, nobody knew for certain which fresh mind Oakland's owner, Al Davis, would pursue. The team was turned down by plenty of names, including University of Southern California quarterbacks coach Steve Sarkisian. His USC colleague, Kiffin, couldn't exist, however.

Kiffin, now the youngest head coach in league history, who worked previously as the Trojans' offensive coordinator, has endured plenty of insults this week. Various media members have poked fun at both himself and the Raider organization, predicting nothing but continued doom for the once-proud franchise.

Despite all the negatives that have been said over the past few days, it would be wise to reserve judgment on Kiffin. As of now, the son of Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin is a complete unknown. He might very well be the NFL's second coming of Jon Gruden; on the other hand, he may be just another David Shula.

There's no question the Raiders have a playoff-caliber defense. Coordinator Rob Ryan's group was among the best in the league last year, even though it received nearly no recognition until the later stages of the season. Players like Warren Sapp, Derrick Burgess, Kirk Morrison and Nnamdi Asomugha have emerged as stalwarts who are capable of leading a defense to the promised land.

Oakland's real problems last year rested in its terrible offense. Quite frankly, the Raider "O," which employed an inept line and two weak quarterbacks, was among the worst units in recent memory. That's the reason the franchise brought in the offensive-minded Kiffin to steer the ship. It isn't going to happen overnight, but there's a chance the offense could do a complete 180 under his watch. Truthfully, there's almost no way it could possibly get worse from the forgettable era of Shell and ex-play caller Tom Walsh.

"I'm prepared to roll up my sleeves and go to work," the dictatorial but perhaps too robotic Kiffin said during his introductory press conference on Tuesday afternoon.

Davis, the patriarch of the Raiders who brought in Kiffin, has higher hopes than anyone.

"You don't have to be old to be great. You have to be good. You have to want it. You have to have a desire, a passion for football," the beleaguered 77-year-old proclaimed.

These days, Davis isn't right about too many things. This time around, though, he hit the nail on the head.

Regardless of his youth, Lane Kiffin deserves a chance to turn the Raiders around. As the saying goes, age is nothing but a meaningless number.

Oakland will find out whether that's true soon enough.