Obnoxious grandmother

Wenda

Lady LORD
Jul 28, 2003
In a windowless void
www.myspace.com
Having just survived a joint family birthday involving two major milestones (my mother's 50th and her father's 75th) I have seriously had ENOUGH of my maternal grandmother. If she'd made one more obnoxious, racist, judgemental, or bigoted comment, I swear to god she'd have ended up wearing her own dinner.

The following are statements I do not appreciate being made to me:

"Has Rebecca really been going to the gym? Hmph, it hasn't made much difference, has it?" This made about my little sister, who is overweight, has major self-esteem problems about it, and has *just* started going to the gym where I work, which is a huge step for her. Fuck you lady. Your idea of motivating her by telling her to her face that she weighs too much is totally not helping.

"Gosh, Lawrence has put on weight hasn't he? (insert accompanying rude gesture to indicate a rotund belly)" Lawrence being my mother's boss, no less, and I'm pretty sure he was well within her earshot when this was said.

"Huh, when Tim goes overseas, he'll have to pay a lot for excess baggage. (insert another rude gesture indicating another pot belly)" Tim being my brother, and also within earshot.

"All Indians are money-grabbing thieves anyway." I had to walk away from this one. It was either that or give her a gigantic fucking bitchslap.

"Oh, all those Asians are all related to each other anyway, they're all each other's brothers. You wouldn't know the difference, they all look the same." Another almost-bitchslap.

:yell:

I just thought everyone's grandmother was like that? My grandmother once questioned whether my sister-in-law was still breastfeeding because she thought her breasts were too small... I think the line was "You're still breastfeeding? With those?!!!"

She came over yesterday to drop off my birthday card and I didn't even get a Happy Birthday... it was just "Here's you card and present"... so I just said thanks and walked away. Ironically, when it's her birthday if any of us don't go around to see her and talk to her for a couple of hours then we're practically out of the will.

Yes Brian's mother doesn't think ever before she speaks. I have been the brunt of her remarks on a few occasions.She thinks because I am small and don't eat the same food she does I must starve myself....if only she saw me gauge myself on my cooking.plus she thinks I am very very selfish for many reasons.
Brian's daughter has had to endure years of bad remarks about her mother.
She is so racist I dop my jaw everytime she says something of that nature.

Cooperman said:
I just thought everyone's grandmother was like that? My grandmother once questioned whether my sister-in-law was still breastfeeding because she thought her breasts were too small... I think the line was "You're still breastfeeding? With those?!!!"

Yeah Coops, you're probably right...everyone has someone like this in their family, no doubt. I was just needing a bit of a rant. I'm over it now. My mum and I had a bitch session just now on the phone about it and we both feel much better. :D

Not all the olds are like that though. My other grandmother isn't offensive, she's just got eccentric opinions about things and it's difficult to change her mind on anything, but she's not actually harmful. And my great-grandmother who was alive until just a few years ago was lovely.

My grandfather is still as sharp as ever. I think he's 90 this year, but nothing escapes him. My grandmother occasionally thinks it's still 1940. :erk:

My family doesn't have much to do with any other relatives. Something happened a few years ago that I wasn't a part of that made everyone stop talking and stuff. I am pretty sure it had something to do with my grandfather dying and his money and stuff. Oh well. They all turned into bitter cunts, we packed our shit and left. We do still talk to our grandparents on the other side of the family. My grandfather is bizarre, but my grandmother used to be lovely until the last couple of years she has started to lose it, her memory and stuff, which doesn't make things easy. She does still call for our birthdays and stuff though which is nice, but yeah, does still have racist opinions and stuff. It is kind of understandable considering how they would have been raised, but it isn't pleasant, especially right now, when my sister is going through the motions of adopting a child from overseas. :erk:

I don't know if they've got worse or if they've just always been like that, and it's only that opinions of today makes what they say seem worse. The world was a very different place back when they were growing up.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that some people are just arseholes.

Sydo said:
My grandfather is still as sharp as ever. I think he's 90 this year, but nothing escapes him. My grandmother occasionally thinks it's still 1940. :erk:
That is called Dementia......this was probably a great time of her life so she goes where is comfortable and happy.Also a lot of things probably happened then.
This also could be signs of Alziehmers....suggestion if it hasn't already been checked and if there are other things that she is doing or saying that seem way outa place get her checked for either of the above.
I work with dementia all the time...the only way to not create undue confusion is to go ahead and go along with all she says. I had a conversation the other day with a lady who was talking about what we had to do for the dinner party that night.We had to wash the veges (her blanket) and chop them up. Go the the warehouse to buy meat ( the bathroom).A busy afternoon.

Yeah I think all Grandma's are racist, especially to Asians.

Stuff like "they all loook the same" seems to be said by all grandmothers.

Still I guess this seeds from the war era where they're raised to hate the culture.

Plus they seem to be suspectable to alot of media brainwashing.

I really especially pissed off my grandma by using facts in an argument about boat people, I combatted her racism with quoting of international law which kinda fucked up her logic since old people also like the law.

My dad had to try and stop laughing from her getting flustered.

Old people are weird.