OD-808 Impulses

The tubescreamer with the gain all the way down is linear enough that an impulse response would capture what you'd use it in front of an amp for, which is the mid hump and bass rolloff. If anybody wants I can post a sine sweep that you could use to take an impulse response.

The tubescreamer with the gain all the way down is linear enough that an impulse response would capture what you'd use it in front of an amp for, which is the mid hump and bass rolloff. If anybody wants I can post a sine sweep that you could use to take an impulse response.

I took five impulses with various tone levels and posted them above but thanks!

Unless you have a tremendously wimpy output from your pickups, wrongity-o.

I'll just quote myself because I believe in recycling.

The gain stage starts by amplifying the signal by, roughly, factors between 10 and 100, and then it gets mangled down to a clipped signal on the way out. ...

(snippety-snip)

there's a little thing in the clipping circuit that softens this edge – it's a small capacitor, which you could look at as a sort of 'holding cell' for charge, and what it does is smooth the sound out with its charge-storing goodness... it's like when little kids in art class rub over a crayon/pencil drawing with a tissue to smooth out the rough edges. As the drive knob gets turned up more, this effect becomes more pronounced, so while there is definitely more clipping going on with the drive knob the softening is going on more, so it doesn't seem like it's been cranked as much as it has been if you're listening for 'buzz' - but there's more compression than you'd think there would be.

It may appear linear... but it is, by the very definition of linear, not. You can certainly capture the EQ hump (but then you might as well just use EQ itself) but the compression and smoothing is not inconsequential.

Basically, the stuff you can capture through impulses isn't something that you really should be using impulses for anyway - I'm still at a loss as to why this is a good idea...

Jeff