OD pedal boost for 5150

I had an "American Metal" pedal that I used for years, then came the 808. Definately the metal zone for dual rec. 808 for 5150! I haven't tried the maxon yet. Does anyone have both the Ibanez and Maxon 808. Are they identical?

TheStoryteller said:
How come you forgot to mention this one? ;)

TO800_medium.jpg

That's what I use. Here with a PODxt: http://fredrikgroth.com/ezdrummer2.mp3

does sound reallllly good imo.

Only thing I'm fucking sick of is the 'vintage' label that instantly triples the street price of any fucking thing that goes on it - I'm disappointed everyday to find that people are still selling things with 'Well, it worked then, and we're too fucking lazy and incompetent to come up with anything better, so you're going to pay out of the ass for the same thing we did when you were in diapers... PWN3D!' and people actually go out of their way to find 'vintage reproduction' companies for the sole purpose of buying gear made to yesterday's specifications at prices absurd by today's standards. Fuck, I need to shut up before I start screaming hysterically about tube amps...

Jeff

JBroll said:
Only thing I'm fucking sick of is the 'vintage' label that instantly triples the street price of any fucking thing that goes on it - I'm disappointed everyday to find that people are still selling things with 'Well, it worked then, and we're too fucking lazy and incompetent to come up with anything better, so you're going to pay out of the ass for the same thing we did when you were in diapers... PWN3D!' and people actually go out of their way to find 'vintage reproduction' companies for the sole purpose of buying gear made to yesterday's specifications at prices absurd by today's standards. Fuck, I need to shut up before I start screaming hysterically about tube amps...

Jeff
You know I agree with you pretty much. But I will say that I used to have an original whammy pedal that I sold about a year ago (for $500, crazy I know) Anyway I missed it so I bought the new re-issue version and compared to the old one this one is total shit. In fact I returned it yesterday. Some things have mojo I guess, and mojo is expensive

Yes, new things do fuck up sometimes, but I won't comment on Digitech's 'innovation' - I don't think it's 'mojo' so much as fucking up a design or an implementation. The old hot thing in 'mojo' used to be carbon-comp resistors - you said that in a gear review and it was hot shit... only problem was that the special thing about carbon-comp resistors was that their variance was out of control and at fucking tremendous voltages (compared to what we normally use) there was slight harmonic distortion, so essentially what you had was everyone jumping all over yesterday's pieces of shit in old electronic equipment for (1) horrible accuracy in reproduction and (2) the chance of slight harmonic change at voltages that would blow the rest of the circuit. I can't help hating people when stupid shit like that happens - fucking 'mojo' is a sales pitch the vast majority of the time so I never follow it.

Jeff

mojo is what happens when there's SOMETHING about a piece of gear, that he player just falls in love with

no science or marketing crap to be found, it's simply finding what works for YOU

I did a shootout with some overdrive pedals this afternoon at a local guitar store... I wound up trading an Ibanez TS-9 in for an MXR Wylde Overdrive... it just sounded more "savage." I also ordered a Maxon OD808, based on the recommendations here. Honestly, the TS-9 wasn't really doing it for me anymore.

The real affirmation came when I brought the pedal home & reamped some tracks by a guitar player whom I've found to be exceptionally difficult to record. "The sound is in the hands" and all that. He's a very dark player & getting the guitars to cut nicely in the mix have always been a pain. Well, it turns out the MXR was just the ticket. I found it added a certain cutting edge to the mids that just wasn't there before... again, the operative word is "savage." In side by side mix comparisions between tracks cut with a TS-9 & the MXR, the MXR tracks won hands down.

Now I can't wait to get this maxon pedal in..

BTW, great thread guys! Very helpful! :kickass:

-0z-

The MXR ZW is based on the BOSS SD-1. Sound very similar. The SD-1 is what Zakk always used befor MXR. The SD-1 is a lot less in the cost area. $40 vs $90

the guitarist in my band has the od808, ts808, a keeley modded ts808 and some other maxon that i can't remember. we have a/b'ed the hell out of all of these using both the "crunch" and "lead" channels of the 6505+. he's found that the keeley modded tubescreamer is the best. personally, i thought the od808 and the modded ts808 sounded equally good. during our tracking for the current album we also tested the ts808 in front of my bass and it still sounded amazing. \\m//

Originally Posted by TheStoryteller
How come you forgot to mention this one?

Nice som faan!
How is the setting in the POD then??

Just got myself a crappy TS5 for about 15 bucks. Believe it or not, It sounds nice. I doubt It can survive on stage but the sound is nice.

13312.jpg

Yep...I have a slightly less crappy/cheap modded TS-7 and it does the job for tightening up the low end of crunch guitars nicely.