OD pedal boost for 5150

I posted in another thread, but I just bought a Behringer TO800 based of Storyteller's clip and some limited reviews I found online. For 27 bucks, I had to try! I'll be boosting my 6505+ with it here shortly at rehearsal, but it looks to be an OK deal. Plastic housing (white plastic painted green). Seems structurally stron for plastic - as much so as the Dano or old Ibanez pedals. I'll post my thoughts on tone after rehearsal.

Well, I got my Maxon OD-808 today, and it fucking rules!

What a sound!:OMG:

Seriously, I've been putting it thru a battery of tests & it's come out brilliantly. Most of all, it's not a "tone killer" using the On/Off axis dual 57 technique as discussed in the "Clayman" thread. The TS-9 seemed to rob the top & bottom of the sound to the point it was pretty much incompatible with the technique. I mean, it sounded better without it in the signal path at all! The OD-808, on the other hand, just makes the guitar snarl like a motherfucker in comparison. Now I get why these things are so damn popular!

I've also compared it to the MXR Wylde Overdrive, in a reamping situation for rhythm guitar, anyway, and it's the clear winner. I think I'll keep the Zakk for lead work, however. A little contrast is a good thing!

-0z-

Speaking of vintage. I somehow aquired a used Ibanez Tube King for $120 a few years ago. I am by no means a vintage whore but wow i do love this pedal, sounds smoother than a tubscreamer to me. The down side is that is uses a higher voltage adapter with reverse polarity than any of my other pedals and it can't be run on betteries. Also it was kind of pricy to repair when it broke due to my own retaredness of not knowing what adapter to use (there are no markings on the unit to indicate what I needed though). The only thing that sucks is I can't seem to find a tube to replace the old one, I have a feeling if I did it would sound even better.

It's not supposed to do even that - I wouldn't consider it a BM characteristic so much as a flaw in that individual pedal. I've never had that problem.

The purpose of the whole mess is to remove that harsh high end (as well as flabby low end), not add it.

Jeff

Find a Bad Monkey that doesn't do that, or get something cheap like an Ibanez TS-7 or Boss SD-1. The TS-7 is the TS-9 circuit (which itself can be modded into an 808 by changing two resistors) and the SD-1 is a few components (main issue is a clipping diode) away from that same TS circuit - both are $40, so you've a deal.

Jeff

For sure. I liked what the added signal did to the tone. It was pretty fucking grinding and full, which is a characteristic I love. It's almost like adding the new dimension to your tone. It was a shame about the noise though. I'll see what other pedals I can get my hands on.

the stock ts-9 from ibanez and the boss sd-1(the yellow one) are my two favorites for juicing the front end of the amp ever so slightly. other than that with the pricey dirt pedals you are actually buying the tone/distortion/coloration of the pedal and it would seem to me to be a little self defeating in regards to using the 5150 or dual rec basic sounds. unless this is what your idea for the sound is ,to couple with those amps and create very dense textures for the guitarist(a.k.a. billy gibons, or that guy from bush)

Love Curran