OD pedal boost for 5150

kingrobra

New Metal Member
Sep 17, 2006
Waterloo
www.soundclick.com
Considering the following...

Fulltone Fulldrive2, Fulltone OCD, Maxon OD808, Maxon OD-9, Visual Sound Route 66, and Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive.

What would you recommend to infront of a 5150? I hear a lot about using tubescreamers and the sort infront of Dual Rectos and 5150's.

GuitarGodgt said:
SFX-03 twin tube classic (seymour duncan). I don't own one yet but it will be my next perchase. A little pricy (around $250 usd) but so worth it.

Just as a boost in front of a 5150? I'd call it more than a little pricey when there are guys on here using a $25 Bad Monkey to do the same thing with great results. Plus that's more than I paid for my amp :p

Steve

I've tried a few Overdrives & distortion pedals in front of my 5150 so here's my thoughts.
The Boss Metalzone works well as a purely clean boost but there's far too much scope with the parametric eq for my liking, it sounded really cool but very compressed but the slightest touch of the eq completely fucks up your sound, & I like to keep things simple. It is however said to sound awesome with a Dual Rec (listen to Cannibal Corpse & you'll hear it first hand)

The DS1 was far too fizzy but I got some cool results on the clean/crunch channel.

The Zakk Wylde pedal sounded nice but still a bit fizzy really easy to dial in a good Tone tho.

The Boss SD1 sounded great I used this set up for a few months & really liked it, I only changed cos I wanted to try the Holy Grail of Overdrives the TUBESCREAMER.

The Tubescreamer DX was ok but nothing special to my ears, it was easy to coax a good tone but it didn't sound as good as the SD1 to me.

The Tubesceamer sounded really good very warm & clear but I still prefered the SD1.

Then I was given a Maxon OD808 as a birthday gift & I've never looked back!
In front of the 5150 the Tone is Godly, crystal clear, warm & transparent it doesn't affect your tone at all just tightens it up & emphasises everything, the Tone just jumps out of the speakers & simply put DESTROYS!
I can honestly understand why most of the Pro's use the OD808 as a boost.

I have a DS-1, and it sounds.... way too fizzy infront of my 5150.

Any difference between the OD808 and OD-9 tonewise? The OD-9 is more expensive, and i think they use the same JRC whatever tubescreamer chip. All i see in the specs that makes it different is that the OD-9 has true bypass.

Anyone have any clips of any of these pedals infront of a 5150?

I've tried a Maxon OD808, Barber Direct Drive, Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss GE-7, and some custom built boost pedals with my 5150...I like the OD808 the best. :headbang:

SD-1 and MXR ZW are both based off the original Tube Screamer circuit, so I'd say go with something cheap and if you want to change things around just goof around with modding it.

Jeff

Maxon OD808 is the best I've used. I've tried the TS9 and Bad Monkey also. The Bad Monkey can achieve awesome tones and is better than most expensive units. I'd go Maxon if you have extra money, BM if you are on a budget and want awesome tone.

How come you forgot to mention this one? ;)

TO800_medium.jpg

That's what I use. Here with a PODxt: http://fredrikgroth.com/ezdrummer2.mp3

JBroll said:
This would entirely defeat the tightening aspect of the boost, which is pretty much the main reason it's used to the best of my knowledge.

Jeff
yes this why I'm saying it! Primalary it's used as a mid (or bass and high cut) and volume boost with slightly adding some compression and saturation here...

I've tried a few (Bad Monkey, Behringer, Jacques, Zak Wylde, etc) and to be honest I didn't like most of them besides the Ibanez TS-9, but I'm pretty sure it really depends on the amp you're playing with (along with the pickups, kind of music you play, your type of playing, string gauge, pick color, heat of the sun, etc) and, of course, your tastes. But as a matter of fact I sold my TS-9 and just ordered a Maxon OD-820 this morning, can't wait.

And the DOD 308 Malmsteen?? is Well??

and for other side...the Behringer Noise reducer ...is good?