Official buying advice thread

American Strats are great guitars and the Deluxe Reverb is one of the best clean amps ever... that is why nearly all double cutaway guitars resemble the Strat and have single coils in neck and middle plus coil tap for the bridge and most versatile tube amps today have strived to get the Fender sound for thier clean channel..... end of story

I own neither

the ibanez. the rr3 is a little weird too play. huuge fuckin frets and a little neck heavy. plus the pickups dont compare to the ibanez
~gR~

Are there any guitars better than the Ibanez for the same (or lower price)?

for the price? no. well, maybe the string through V-blade http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-VBlade-VBT700-Electric-Guitar?sku=512556

also, that ibanez is neck through.

ive played the xiphos (and the rr3 many many times) at my local GC. i really like it. and if i wanted to fuss with a floyd rose, i'd buy it.

i may buy the 7 string xiphos though. my current 7 string is a pain in my arse
~gR~

If you don't mind me asking another question:

What makes the V-blade better than the Xiphos?

i havnt played it honestly. but its just similar, minus the tremolo. i wouldnt say its better, just another option

i'd stick with the xiphos. i know for a fact that thing shreds
~gR~

Agile is a Korean made guitar. The Koreans are making very high quality products. I'd put most of theirs against most American made stuff any day. You get better value for the brand Agile compared to Epiphone. I'd put Agile up against Schecter and other major brands made in Asian countries. I've got one of the "Cheaper" Agile Al-2000 lp's with a natural maple flame-top that is totally sweet looking and jams like no past, present or tomorrow.

North Korean or South Korean? And I thought Korean made guitars were shit.

harmony Pedals?

The whammy pedal has a harmonizer, but you can't use that much distortion with it because it will start sounding like shit.

My late 80's Kramer was supposed to be made in Korea according to the Kramer site and its a damn good guitar but then theres something about ESP provided the necks, not sure on my guitar. It is a nice neck, quarter sawn, straight grained. Body appears to be two piece as it has swelled or dried unevenly, so the past 5 years or so you can now see the seam underneath the paint.

I recently bought a Korean made Tokai and thats pretty nice too but to early to tell.

Then I have a old early 80's Japanese Vantage VP795 thats excellent. Best action of the bunch, just didnt have the look for "metal" or a Floyd so I bought the Kramer.

I've been wondering about those Agiles, they fill full pages with them on Ebay. Their all 1 5/8 necks though and I want to get away from that, older fat fingers need more room. They make a 1 3/4 nut _ _ 3000 Paul copy, but the lefties are only in sunburst and I like the Rootbeer... lol

At one time they had a 24 fret Paul copy in black with a "lic by" Floyd and I was very tempted but it was 1 5/8 nut and I was also uncertain about the guitars.

Are there any picks made with soft material such as skin? If not I'm thinking of making one with snake skin. When I pluck with my thumb I get almost no clicking so I figured it would be better, because I suck at picking without clicking. I plan on getting a piece of Metal, then making the shape for the pick. Then poking holes and sewing the skin on.

harmony Pedals?

I have an old early 90's ART SGX 2000 multi EFX rack mount that has pitch shift, its programable in half steps but wont do major & minors in one key. If you choose a third its going to stay a three step third... if that makes any sense. Im not sure what the new ones are like. I really like this SGX but its elaborate and probably way outdated today. I picked it up on ebay with the pedal board for ??? think it was $275+-.... back in the day both pieces would have been pushing $1000.

I play clean through my amps now and everything comes from the SGX, it has one preamp tube and both tube & solid state distortion and so many other effects.... all fully programable... its just a nightmare sorting it out. Its "noisy" by todays standards or maybe just cause its older, they no longer make effects, Alesis's stuff sold better, Im not sure who else was the competition but alot of guys went for the Alesis quadraverb, which I dont think had pitch shift or gain

This has more gain than my old amps but most likely not more than what you guys play through

http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=91&cat=14&id=33

Are there any picks made with soft material such as skin? I'm thinking of find one or making one with snake skin. When I pluck with my thumb I get almost no clicking so I figured it would be better, because I suck at picking without clicking.

your a funny guy, spend more time practicing and less time trying to reinvent the wheel, Im not picking on you either, just a little busting. It just takes time. If you have alot of clicking your prolly using a soft pick, get a good heavy pick and work on your technique, it takes alot of time

Yeah I guess, I've only been playing for 13 months.

As much as I like music I think inventing will be a second path if I don't make it anywhere with my playing (which I probably won't because no one likes Blues or Funk mixed with Metal anymore). I want to learn how to build pedals because I have ideas for those.

Like this one that I know would be hard as hell to make (and might have been done already) but it would silence all signal from the guitar but when you started playing it would fade in the notes. To make it sound more like a violin, maybe no one would buy it but I like playing around with volume pedals getting sort of a bowed instrument sound.

good guitar players do that with thier volumn pot, Steve Morse has a whole section of one awesome solo you'd swear he was playing a violin.

Short question: What can I use to make the sound from my POD X3 loud enough to compete with a loud metal drummer and bassist?

More detail: Actually, I'm the bassist, and I'm asking this question on behalf of the guitarist I play with. He had a nice all-tube amp (B-52 100W with a 4x12 cab) that sounded nice, but he was really irked by the fact that it sounded different every day based on temperature and humidity and even the wiring of the building we were playing in seemed to change the sound as is the nature of tubes. So, he went digital, and bought a POD X3 Live. He heard that Meshuggah plays PODs into PAs, and that's his favorite tone, so there you go. His first attempt at making it loud was a QSC power amp pushing 360 watts of solid state power into the 4x12 guitar cab (with the cab models off of course), and it sounded good, but not loud enough. He tried going into the power amp input of his tube head, but that was really not good at all. Into the guitar input of the amp from the POD, it sounds ok sometimes, but still different every day and less good than just the amp.

So, has anyone had any luck using a POD (or other modeller) in a live situation for metal? Should he try using non-guitar speaker cab(s) with the QSC power amp? It could be that that B52 cab is inefficient, and even PA bins with teh QSC might be better. Anything else that might work?

Most of our gigs don't have enough PA support to be reliable for this, so we like to bring our own everything. If we have to lug a PA, we will, I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't search for "POD" because it's not enough characters.

Also, hi, I'm new.

Cant speak for the POD but I have a M-Audio "Black Box" and tried just taking that with me to jam with others, through the PA but with much volumn I had wicked feedback and still a bit thin sounding, not tonally but presence. So I gave it up.