Official buying advice thread

I have the Spider III 15 W and it's great for a practice amp, but I wish it had an overdrive tone option. The clean tone is okay, and there are three distortion tones, which I think is a bit excessive, since it still lacks one of the three fundamental tone options (clean, overdrive, distortion).

I play an ESP LTD F-50 guitar with it and it's a great guitar for me. It stays in tune better than my Carvin DC-400 (which retails for $1200) and the A string on the Carvin always rings even when I'm not playing it. I've never had any similar problems with my ESP, though.

For $430 you can do a lot better... I recommend this: http://www.rondomusic.com/reaperstdbk.html

It's mahogany body, mahogany neck, ebony fretboard. Other than that the specs are similar, and the Agile is $60 cheaper. So for $60 less, you get a much improved guitar.

I've been reading stuff about the reaper, and I've heard that the tremelo would be a hassle for a beginner, and to get something else.

dude, a signature? while that does look cheap. you could probably get an ESP with atleast a mahogany body for that much. basswood is bland

i generally dont like signature guitars, except for my signature kevin bond rhoads. but lets face it, that rhoads really is better than all the other jackson's.
~gR~

generally overpriced because of name association.

similar look? you mean, the generic strat body? fuck yeah i can hahaha. are you tied to ESP?
~gR~

i have been looking for a new guitar for quite a while...but i still am unsure of what to get. as soon as i start liking one guitar i start leaning towards another. although i want to get a fairly nice guitar i really dont want to spend over 1000. so far my top pick is a jackson dkmg dinky. by the way my type of music is anything from rock to heavy metal. my favorite bands are cob, bullet, and killswitch. so im looking for a guitar to suit that
http://www.zzounds.com/item--JAC2910100

so whether you think that is a good guitar, or if u have another recommendation, any type of feedback would help me out alot.
thanks

I prefer the RG Ibanez guitars to Jacksons, I don't know if you have tried any so far but I would recommended them for that kind of price range.

Gibsons have far and away the best tone of any guitar, and are built such that playing them is exceedingly easy. However, Jacksons have a very naturally biting, metallic sound, so if you're looking to play metal and can't afford a Gibson, go with a Jackson. A word of advice: stay away from Fenders! They're not meant for metal players: they have a jangly, thin, tinny tone, and the fretboards are awkward. I still fail to understand the popularity of that brand.

well, for starters i would reccomend reading this thread http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/musicians-discussion/372587-official-buying-advice-thread-16.html

a 1000 is a great budget! we can do much with this hehehe. a couple things i would reccomend:

stay away from EMG
carefully pick your wood selection.
know what youre getting yourself into. can you handle a floyd rose? is it going to crap out on you after a few months?

i'll do some looking after practice today. but at your 1000$ mark, my kevin bond signature rhoads totally slays. doesnt do clean though. i dont know if you want a good clean tone or not
~gR~

yeah. my friend has an ibanez RG..not sure what model it is, i know he payed around 800 for it tho.. and i love it. but i also love the jackson. i love the fact that it has EMG 81/85 aswell. plus the jackson looks insanely awesome. haha.

yeah about the fender bit...thats why im upgrading. ive got a fender strat. its my first guitar, and all i had money for at the time. its served me well...but its time for a new guitar. lol