Official buying advice thread

Yeah, but everything seems to work out in the long run. I was looking to get a new amp anyway, and the youtube videos of the 20x are definitely on par with my expectations.

Also, Dell.com suddenly had a speaker sale and I just bought the JBL SoundSticks II for about $15 less than the original price of a cheaper pair of speakers that I was considering earlier in the week.

I need a good recommendation for a custom guitar company.
I want something unique. Ive already looked at ran and halo so dont say those:D
thanks in advance

um... there is a place for this, and i shall move it there.

but... bernie rico jr might be an option
~gR~

hehe, ok. then what do you want? there are a ton of custom builders out there and they all do different stuff
~gR~

I still won't be purchasing it for another week or two though, so if anyone has suggestions for any other amps that I might want to check out, I would appreciate it. My new budget is about $200.
I've used the vox 30W combo for a long time and it's damn solid. Onboard effects and stuff. I've compared it with similarly priced Spiders and like it more.
here
$250, but I'd say it's worth the extra $.

you have terrible luck dude
~gR~
if you read the last page or so of the Gamers thread, this seems to be cosmic balance reasserting itself.

stambaugh's double cut guitar body is pretty sweet. http://www.stambaughdesigns.com/guitars.html

ed roman's abstract line might be your style too. but all he really does is rip people off and ive read some of his work can be substandard. i actually find that weird because he is a very smart guy.
http://www.edroman.com/guitars/abstract/models.htm

moser is another option. moser used to work for bc rich and designed alot of their classic bodies
http://www.moserguitarworld.com/

also, any company will make any body you want.

this
~gR~

It's the whole concept of getting a custom that is the reason why it's expensive. Customs almost always have to be hand-made, because people have different preferences, thus explaining the reasoning behind getting a custom in the first place. They can't be mass-produced in Korea and China by the hundreds of thousands as can their standardized brethren.

The cheapest you'll find for a custom is from Carvin, because they make theirs domestically in a factory and their products are semi-mass-produced. You're looking at at least $1400 for a very basic one, though. If you want different woods, extra strings and shit of that nature, it ups the price considerably.

my opinion: fuck looks, get something that plays nice
~gR~

Amen, man! Amen!

Let me remind you that Opeth plays PRS, and they don't look metal at all.

I'm not going to say that you get what you pay for, because my Peavey costed $350 and plays and sounds like something more expensive.

The cheap brands you'll find with "metal" looks are ones you probably already know: BC Rich, Jackson, ESP, and Ibanez with its new Xiphos model.

What you should really look for is what your personal preferences are in tone woods and electronics, and the only way you can do that is by playing them. If you live near a guitar store, that's a great place to start trying out different instruments.

no actually sound is the MAIN factor. BUt i have an AMAZING sounding SG, but i need something to stay in a lowers tuning and i was thinking something witha more jagged dean like look.