Official buying advice thread

I'm in the market for a new guitar tuner, I don't really care about any special bells or whistles, just something accurate for standard tuning, and preferably with a needle display, and under $30 (American) would be nice.

Get one of those Korg tuners (the silver/grey ones) at any guitar store ever. They're like $15-20. if you want to splurge get one of those Boss foot pedals that you put in your effects chain. I have the Korg, my friend has the Boss. If you're playing at home the Korg is fine, if you're playing live you'll want the Boss.

it's not a bad sounding pedal but if you want to switch to various effects fast, good luck. but if you just plan on using it for "in-home doodling" it'll work perfect

What about something I could use for gigs? I figure I'd have an effect for each song by itself, so I wouldn't have to switch until before the next song

well, if you're not going to switch between songs, the Digitech BP50 should work fine

edit: if you want something that is easy to use on stage, unless you only use one effect, the best idea is to get various separate pedals or get one of the much larger multi-effect pedal. if you don't currently have the money, the Digitech BP50 would work fine. but it would limit you live

well, if you're not going to switch between songs, the Digitech BP50 should work fine

edit: if you want something that is easy to use on stage, unless you only use one effect, the best idea is to get various separate pedals or get one of the much larger multi-effect pedal. if you don't currently have the money, the Digitech BP50 would work fine. but it would limit you live

Give me links to some larger multi-fx stuff you might use or do use

i personally do not use any effects (aside from my wah in volume pedals) so my opinion wouldn't be as "strong" of an opinion as matt's but imo, digitech isn't that bad, especially considering the prices (and i do have experience with digitech multi-effect pedals) sadly though, when it comes to bass, their aren't many multi-effect pedals that are easy to use live along with being in a decent price range. all i can honestly suggest is to just go to the closest large music shop (about the size of a guitar center) and try out a bunch of the multi effect pedals. i suggested a larger music shop because they generally have every kind of effect pedal.

you have a sam ash and a guitar center? lucky bastard. the closest guitar center to my area is 2 hours away and it's a small guitar center at that. the only massive music store that's close to my area is Bill's (twice the size of guitar center) but it's all the way in Baltimore

There are also a few regional chains around here as well. Most of the employees at the GC around here know nothing about what they're supposed to know though. It's frightening.

What do you guys think of the lower cost PRS guitars, like the ones that are around 500 bucks? I really like Opeth's guitar tone and everything, and I know they use like the custom 24's or whatever, but I figure even the lower cost ones should have a pretty good sound like that?

low end PRS are crap. but i also think the high end ones suck too. over priced CNC crap. also, the worst pinch harmonics ever.

if you want to mimic opeth's tone, start with the amp.

ive read a little about tune basses, they interest me too
~gR~