Official buying advice thread

I ended up buying a Boss Flanger since I think the Digitech pedal is way too complicated and flimsy to use when gigging out. The flanger is something I will fuck around with for a while.

However, is there a pedal designed like a Boss (shape, the works) that will allow me to, for example, keep the guitar in standard tuning while it sounds like I am playing, for example, 3 semitones down (Tuned to E, but sounds like I'm playing in Db)

the only thing im familiar with is a harmonizer or octaver. i would search for pitch shifters and see what comes up. the technology probably exists
~gR~

I ended up buying a Boss Flanger since I think the Digitech pedal is way too complicated and flimsy to use when gigging out. The flanger is something I will fuck around with for a while.

However, is there a pedal designed like a Boss (shape, the works) that will allow me to, for example, keep the guitar in standard tuning while it sounds like I am playing, for example, 3 semitones down (Tuned to E, but sounds like I'm playing in Db)

My dad has that function on his Line 6 Pod XT Live. So it's definitely out there.

the only thing im familiar with is a harmonizer or octaver. i would search for pitch shifters and see what comes up. the technology probably exists
~gR~

The Boss pitch shifter is stupid and confusing.

My dad has that function on his Line 6 Pod XT Live. So it's definitely out there.

Yeah, but the Pod XT is fucking expensive. I'm looking at something less than 200 bucks. It could compliment me well since I have a Line 6 amp though

yeah, that could work. dont know why i didnt think of that. if you get one, tell me out it is, ive been thinking about getting one.
~gR~

yeah, that could work. dont know why i didnt think of that. if you get one, tell me out it is, ive been thinking about getting one.
~gR~

Yeah, I just got a Boss Flanger and that pedal is fucking cool as shit. Going to be a while before I get another pedal that expensive probably. I'll pick up a distortion next week probably since they are pretty cheap

OK I Have an acoustic guitar that I can just about play stuff like Breaking the law and simple indie stuff my old teacher showed me. I'm not currently getting lessons. I'm interested in buying an electric guitar starter pack (with an amp basically).

Now my friend who is quite decent on guitar has a fender strat and he hates Squires but I was thinking of buying one because I thought it must at least be a bit better than the Jaxville one for the same price as they aren't as well know and they make some very very cheap guitars.

Which should I get?

Jaxville Custom Series II "ZEUS" guitar with grim reaper & Hades vision custom paint finish. Chrome hardware. Rosewood neck. Three single coil pick-ups. Five-way pick-up selector switch. One volume and two tone controls. Tremelo Arm. 22 frets.

+

Nevada 10w Guitar Amplifier with overdrive & EQ, also has headphone socket. Soft guitar case. 10ft guitar lead. Adjustable guitar strap. Tuition & tuning DVD. Spare set of strings & Guitar picks.

OR

Squier SE Special Strat electric guitar, Squier SP-10 10 watt
amplifier, Electronic guitar tuner, Instructional DVD, Guitar Stand, Gig
Bag, Cable, Strap and pick selection.

The Squier is like £10 more so it's not about price difference.

um, they sell jaxville at toys r us...

of the two, get the squier, and the one with the humbucker in the bridge. but seriously, buy an ibanez. great guitars for low prices. also, the ibanez starter packs are alot better, and that appears to be what youre looking for.
~gR~

How is the Metal Zone pedal from Boss? I am thinking of getting one for my bass.

Also, someone recommend a good volume pedal for me. I have an Ibanez SR500 and an Ibanez GSR200 with added SD pickups

EDIT: Just give me opinions on the Metal Core and Metal Zone. I just need a good distortion pedal for metal and heavy shit.

both of those seem dry to me. but i dont like distortion pedals, so take that as you will.

back when i was young and stupid, i used a big muff pi with my bass. if you wanna use a distortion pedal, i would check out electro harmonix. some of them even use tubes. theyre pricey though
http://www.ehx.com/products/bass-big-muff-pi
http://www.ehx.com/products/holy-stain (this might be a great option for you. combines distortion with other effects like pitch shifting)
http://www.ehx.com/browse/distortion-fuzz-overdrive
http://www.ehx.com/
~gR~

OK I Have an acoustic guitar that I can just about play stuff like Breaking the law and simple indie stuff my old teacher showed me. I'm not currently getting lessons. I'm interested in buying an electric guitar starter pack (with an amp basically).

Now my friend who is quite decent on guitar has a fender strat and he hates Squires but I was thinking of buying one because I thought it must at least be a bit better than the Jaxville one for the same price as they aren't as well know and they make some very very cheap guitars.

Which should I get?

Jaxville Custom Series II "ZEUS" guitar with grim reaper & Hades vision custom paint finish. Chrome hardware. Rosewood neck. Three single coil pick-ups. Five-way pick-up selector switch. One volume and two tone controls. Tremelo Arm. 22 frets.

+

Nevada 10w Guitar Amplifier with overdrive & EQ, also has headphone socket. Soft guitar case. 10ft guitar lead. Adjustable guitar strap. Tuition & tuning DVD. Spare set of strings & Guitar picks.

OR

Squier SE Special Strat electric guitar, Squier SP-10 10 watt
amplifier, Electronic guitar tuner, Instructional DVD, Guitar Stand, Gig
Bag, Cable, Strap and pick selection.

The Squier is like £10 more so it's not about price difference.

Just get a low end Ibanez
This.
$300 Ibanez RG + $250 Vox 30W combo amp = a really solid setup that'll last you a while.
A squier is gonna last like a month or two before you'll hate it.

EDIT: Just give me opinions on the Metal Core and Metal Zone. I just need a good distortion pedal for metal and heavy shit.
The metal zone is really really shitty if you want a clean heavy guitar tone. If you want to create wild feedback it's perfect. But sounds really electronic and stuff. Not good for using all the time basically.