Official buying advice thread

hey, ive been helped out here many times, so hopefully you guys can help me once again haha :]

i am having trouble deciding between two amps, both by peavey, and i was wondering what your thoughts were on it
the amps are:
Peavey valveking 212 (100 watt) or
Peavey Triple XXX combo amp (120 watt)

here are the facts. the valveking is $650 brand new, and my friend wants to sell me his triple x which is 3 years old, for $600. I know the triple x is probably the better amp, and before it was discontinued it sold for around $1,000 but the fact that it is used and i could get a new valveking for almost the same price concerns me. and since the triple x was discontinued 3 years ago i dont really have a good solid price to base what it should be worth. Although it is the better amp im just wondering what would be better in the long run.
any advice is much appreciated and will be considered. thanks

Im thinking about buying a distortion pedal. I have played guitar for 7 years, but i don't really have any experience of pedals.

I would like to have a "swedish melocid death metal" sound. Or the kinda distortion you can hear on Dragonland's albums. Something quite heavy and metal. But not too extreme.

Can you guys suggest anything?

Matt is right. If you want one of those two, haggle your friend down to $500.

The liner notes to Slaughter of the Soul say the tone is a Peavey amp with Boss metal zone and heavy metal pedals in the chain. I assume the Peavey in question is the 5150. Those 2 pedals you can get pretty cheap. But really, those are shitty pedals. You're better off just getting the Peavey 6505, which will give you a thick, heavy, badass sound.

I'm thinking what he wants is a thick, heavy, badass sound. Which the 6505 will give him.

It'll also give him a clean sound, but I didn't see the point in mentioning.

@Gr: the model I played at guitar center didn't, iirc.

I have (well it's not quite in my hands but I should have it by tuesday) an ESP mv200 that's been fitted with an EMG 81.

It's my first electric guitar. I have about £70 - £100 to spend on an amp. What should I get?

I've been recommended a Roland Cube or a Vox XL and I wondered what you lot think.

Edit: someone else said a Line 6 Spider 3 15.

the 5150/6505 is a pretty versatile amp. i forget, does it have onboard reverb?
~gR~

No onboard reverb, sadly.

@Jage: Depends on what you want in an amp. The microcube is great if you want versatility and a fair amount of gain. If you want something more simple, gR uses this one Hughes and Kettner combo that sounds quite nice and has onboard reverb.

Does anyone know anything about AXL guitars? I like alder as a tonewood and they seem to use it exclusively, the Badwater Jacknife in particular appeals to me as my first guitar. The P-90's grab my attention, as does the shape and tune-o-matic bridge...

um, pretty sure it has a clean channel. unless you mean it doesnt have good clean tone. its not as good as my ISP, but better than a mesa or marshall
~gR~