Official buying advice thread

It is not really a versatile amp at all... It has no clean channel. Just a rhythm and lead channel.

Yeah, that's exactly why I had to go with a Peavey Jsx.
I needed a good clean channel as well as rhythm and lead channels.
I really enjoy the Crunch channel with a Tube screamer in front of it too!

um, pretty sure it has a clean channel. unless you mean it doesnt have good clean tone. its not as good as my ISP, but better than a mesa or marshall
~gR~

No, the 5150 genuinely does not have a clean channel. It has a rhythm dirty channel and a lead dirty channel. You can set the gain low on the 5150 so the rhythm channel isn't distorted too much, but it will never be a "clean" channel.

All Mesas have a better clean than the 5150, or any Peavey aside from the JSX. Most Marshalls ( excluding MG ) also have better clean tones.

Yeah, that's exactly why I had to go with a Peavey Jsx.
I needed a good clean channel as well as rhythm and lead channels.
I really enjoy the Crunch channel with a Tube screamer in front of it too!

Good to see the JSX is treating you nicely!

No, the 5150 genuinely does not have a clean channel. It has a rhythm dirty channel and a lead dirty channel. You can set the gain low on the 5150 so the rhythm channel isn't distorted too much, but it will never be a "clean" channel.

All Mesas have a better clean than the 5150, or any Peavey aside from the JSX. Most Marshalls ( excluding MG ) also have better clean tones.

Good to see the JSX is treating you nicely!

I'm positive the 6505+ has a clean channel, because Kelly uses it, and believe it or not, it sounds absolutely clean, not dirty, as you described it.

Since you guys seem to know your shit...

I plan on purchasing a new amp sometime in the near future, and I was wondering what kind I should get. I might be purchasing a 5150 from a friend (which I think sounds fucking badass), or, I might buy something else. My problem is I know jack shit about amps and gear.

My pricerange is around $500. I am looking for an amp that is powerful enough to play gigs with, and has high distortion. I've looked into Randall (RG models mainly) but there aren't any dealers around where I live.

What would you guys rec?

Which i do. They use it exclusively, which kinda intrigued me. Not sure why you'd do that.

alder is the classic sound. its pretty easy to cash in on it.

Since you guys seem to know your shit...

I plan on purchasing a new amp sometime in the near future, and I was wondering what kind I should get. I might be purchasing a 5150 from a friend (which I think sounds fucking badass), or, I might buy something else. My problem is I know jack shit about amps and gear.

My pricerange is around $500. I am looking for an amp that is powerful enough to play gigs with, and has high distortion. I've looked into Randall (RG models mainly) but there aren't any dealers around where I live.

What would you guys rec?

do you want a head for 500? a stack? combo? 500 will limit what you can get
~gR~

Uh. I really don't know. I don't know the advantages and disadvantages with each.

I realize that $500 will be limiting, but I really don't want to spend much more then that.

Hey i'm looking at buying a new guitar, i'm currently using a Line 6 Spider III 150w Head with matching cab and im playing a Ltd Sc-207 which suits me for playing the Death Metal and the really driving/brutal stuff i love, but im looking for something with a really controlled, smooth more user friendly tone, just something i can use to release the soul of the music.

Any suggestions?

Uh. I really don't know. I don't know the advantages and disadvantages with each.

I realize that $500 will be limiting, but I really don't want to spend much more then that.

Keep saving. $500 will get you a decent head used, and a decent cab new/used, but not both.

What $500 WILL get you is a junky halfstack that sounds like shit and makes you look bad, or alternatively a junky combo that again sounds bad.

Look on craigslist for used amp heads, you can get a Peavey 5150 for around that if you're lucky. Keep on saving until you have around $350-450, which is the price range for a good used cabinet. You can get a good Marshall cab for around that price, or a Mesa cab if you're lucky and find a deal. That's less than a thousand that you've spent, and you've got yourself a professional sounding rig that you can take to any gig, any studio, and KNOW that it is good enough.

If you want gig worthy gear, you have to pay for it.

The Spider Valve stuff is great for bedroom. You could use it for live, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The head usually contains the pre-amp which you hook into the actual amp (or, in this case, half stack)

Here's a lesson in amps:

There are four "components" in your average rig.
( 0) Pedals - you could say these are a component, but I would lump them under "Preamp" and "effects" )
1) Preamp - generates the guitar tone
2) Effects - adds effects such as flanger, phaser, etc.
3) Power Amp - makes the signal powerful, drives speakers
4) Speakers - makes the signal sound

Amp heads have both a preamp and a power amp built into the headshell. Some amps have effects as well, but most don't.

Combo amps have EVERYTHING built in.

You can get individual rack units that individually act as preamp, effects, etc.

And what is the advantage of this (Yeah. I'm too lazy to look this shit up.)

What is everyone's thoughts on the Line 6 Spider Vavle amps? The Bogner ones?

Head + Cabinet is easier to move. Anything larger and heavier than a 1x12 tube amp is a huge pain in the ass to move, and having it in two parts makes it much more convenient.

Also it is a lot easier to customize your tone. If you have a combo, you're pretty much stuck with it. But if you've got a head, you can always upgrade the cabinet later on.