Official buying advice thread

I saw one on there that just said solid..

Solid wood? well I supposed wood as opposed to Luthite or something.

solid wood= its wood but we're embarrassed to say what it is so we wont...

and luthite? if thats youre thing... synthetic materials are a rising trend... ive only played one luthite body (an ibanez ergodyne) and it was ok, i guess. i prefer the character of wood though
~gR~

Same here. Synthetic materials sound kinda flat (toneless) to me. I played an Ibanez Ergodyne and it didn't have much going for it in the tone department. Nice and comfy, though.

Yeah usually if they refer to something as "solid wood" or "real wood" it's something like plywood or particle board (See: BC Rich Bronze Series)

On a side note, for Christmas I am thinking about picking a Midi Keyboard that is compatible with soft-synths like Reason. How much would something like this cost for a decent, or maybe even just a beginners?

Oh, and what about loops and other effects? Are there certain keyboards that have these built-in or would I have to buy these separate? I do know that most of the sofy-synths that I've worked with have most of these features.

just a straight up midi controller? or a keyboard/synth that can interface with midi programs?

alot of synths will have effects and looping capability.
~gR~

I just bought a new electric violin and want to get a multi effects pedal. I asked a friend for which are the best and he told me about Line6 POD X3 Live, Boss GT-10, Zoom G92TT and DigiTech GNX4. My question is, what are the main differences between them, and which would probably sound better for a violin?

A keyboard/synth. Something that I could possibly play live with as well.

thats all of em, with a proper stand

I just bought a new electric violin and want to get a multi effects pedal. I asked a friend for which are the best and he told me about Line6 POD X3 Live, Boss GT-10, Zoom G92TT and DigiTech GNX4. My question is, what are the main differences between them, and which would probably sound better for a violin?

not much. digital is digital. and you can make em sound any way you want. so go with what has the most variety, or the specific effects you want, if you have a specific sound in mind. all else fails, take your violin to a shop and play through some

out of curiosity, what kind of violin?
~gR~

I've got a 5-stringed Yamaha EV-205K, and it pretty much owns, even when playing with my small amp's distortion (which btw I really have to upgrade after buying a pedal).
I guess some multi-effects are better in terms of sound quality, while others have more features or effects, but I don't really know which is better in what...also, about trying them, I think I'll have to play for much time with each of them to actually see which is the best pack of stuff or something, which I don't see happening

Hmm.

The POD X3 has the best sounding guitar amp models. The GT-10 has the best quality effects. The Zoom is unknown quality to me, and the GNX4 is terrible. Crap sound and effects.

However, I don't know how good guitar gear will work for violin. You might want to look into PA or vocal effects, rather than guitar effects, since the guitar's tonal foundation is a lot lower than the violin's.

Here's a couple quotes from Talkbass:

"The tone is in the same region as mahogany and walnut. It is heavy almost as ash, and rather flexible almost like alder.
Some pieces are quite beautiful!"

"It's hard, heavy, and not particularly attractive. I can generally get walnut or butternut for the same price, which is more lightweight and easier to work than elm."

"Some wood workers around here tell me elm is a terrible wood because it moves a lot."

hi, im a novice guitarist who's lookin for a new guitar, but the problem is that i have way too small budget, more or less noting (about 200 bucks) because im still studyin and i cant make money very easy.
Im lookin for a metal guitar thst sounds kickass with distortion, like a b.c rich or somthing

hey umm im lookin for a metal guitar but im very very low in budget (about 200), and i need a new guitar since i only have a bc rich warlock that my brother had, but its very old.
waht kind of guitar should i buy??